DVDVR Message Board

AEW - NOV 2020

Dolfan in NYC

4 hours ago, AxB said:

NJPW has Chaos, Bullet Club, LiJ, Suzuki-Gun, Main Unit, GBH and The Empire, and that seems to work quite well. WWE has The Hurt Business, Retribution, Undisputed Era, The friends of Pat McAfee, whatever Roman and the Uso's tribal chief deal is, that Cult of Rollins deal, and probably something else I'm forgetting. 

Roman and the Usos have been called the Bloodline on and off over the years. Rollins group oddly never had a name. I think McAfee's group is called the Kings of NXT. The groups you are forgetting would be Legado Del Fantasma, Gallus, & Imperium. While WWE does have quite a few factions you do have to keep in mind they are separated by 4 brands.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Goodear said:

I hate to be the guy who points out stupid nonsense but how does AEW have three people on the roster who paint half their faces? 

Darby's half paint is the first time i remember seeing it. (well, besides Piper at Mania, lol) great presentation.

Thunder Rosa's half paint is distinct enough that it shouldn't be an issue, but it is definitely odd that AEW has 3 people on tv using the same idea.

i always thought Dustin should change up his paint style for different matches/feuds/appearances/whatever.

On 11/11/2020 at 9:07 PM, Peck said:

Still not sold on them in-ring just yet, but I've popped huge at their diss rap entrances the past few weeks. Absolutely hilarious stuff. Definite potential there.

I've seen Platinum Max Caster slowly evolve into a pretty good singles worker over the past six months of watching Championship Wrestling from Hollywood and the kid already has his showmanship down pretty well.. 

Putting him in a tag team seems the best way to obfuscate his faults and allow his natural charisma to get him over.   He still needs to learn the lesson that MJF hasn't learned yet aka you don't have to act like an asshole in real life in order to put yourself over as a heel.

Hopefully AEW and NWA will co-sponsor the Crockett Memorial Cup next year now that there are a lot of dedicated AEW tag teams like the Acclaimed, Hybrid2, and Top Flight to fill the brackets along with the new NWA tag champs, Aron Stevens / JR Kratos, and the other teams in the NWA / UWN like SoCal Distancing, The Bodega, and the RMB.

Edited by J.T.

As a huge Aleister Black/Tommy End fan, hope that he is in AEW pretty soon down the road. Even with a pretty full roster, he is definitely worth making an exception for to sign and push pretty hard if/when he hits the open market.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Goodear said:

First names are not the same thing as presentation.

What if when you introduced the Dark Order you started another cult type faction that had nothing to do with the Dark Order but also put everyone in masks and all the members were given letters instead of numbers as a naming convention?

Some things should only be one person's thing because that is what helps distinguish them from everyone else.

That's the point I'm trying to make.

That's why there being 5 factions in the promotion is an issue.

Dustin & Darby have the same side of their face painted, Rosa has the opposite. Boom, that sets her apart from the rest.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Big Z said:

As a huge Aleister Black/Tommy End fan, hope that he is in AEW pretty soon down the road. Even with a pretty full roster, he is definitely worth making an exception for to sign and push pretty hard if/when he hits the open market.

I have long thought that Tommy/Aleister could and should be the biggest star in wrestling. He carries an aura that no one else has had in a long time. His wrestling ability looks cool as fuck. He's a great promo. The dude is everything and he's languishing right now.

I'm of the mind that AEW doesn't need any more men and they could stand to cut people like Brian Cage, while instead pouring money into the women's roster. Tommy End is one of the few exceptions I'd make to all of that. There's a few others too, but that dude should be in AEW.

• Like 3

I love Claudio, and he’s a great guy to have on any roster if you’ve got the space/money, but his window for being a big star was like 6 years ago.  He’s about to be 40.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, EVA said:

I love Claudio, and he’s a great guy to have on any roster if you’ve got the space/money, but his window for being a big star was like 6 years ago.  He’s about to be 40.

AJ Styles was 39 when he debuted in WWE, guys of that level can still go after 40.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EVA said:

The guy in your avatar is 38 years old.

• Like 2

Claudio's freakish athleticism and insane training regiment could help extend his career or break his body down at a faster rate. How much of a toll that will take on him as he hits 40? But he is definitely one of those guys, along with Miro, who I constantly wondered "what's his true ceiling in a promotion that plays to his strengths and minimizes his weaknesses?"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Casey said:

The guy in your avatar is 38 years old.

True.  But he’s an established top star at 38, not a guy still trying to become a star approaching 40.  NJPW started pushing him as a top guy in his early 30’s, and he finally put it all together in his mid 30’s.

Realistically, Naito probably broke through and finally became a star at the absolute tail-end of his window to do it.  If he hadn’t put it together by the end of 2016, he was likely going to be Goto tier forever.  (Which is also, oddly, probably where I would say Claudio is slotted in WWE?)

I love this last page for referring to Cesaro and Aleister Black as Claudio and Tommy End. When your given name is Claudio Castagnoli, no ring name is going to come close to matching that.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 9

Brodie Lee is 40. Claudio probably still has a good buncha years left, who wouldn't want to see him spend that time somewhere new and exciting?

Edited to say Claudio vs Fenix alone would be fucking AMAZING to see. 

Edited by christopher.annino
  • Like 2

I guess I need to clarify my position, because I feel like maybe it’s being misconstrued as “Claudio is old and not worth signing,” which is not how I feel at all.  I was reacting more to the “must sign” designation.

To me, a “must sign” is someone you’re expecting to be a top star who will significantly drive business for you for years to come.  And I don’t see Claudio at 40 as that guy.  If it was ever going to happen for him, it would have happened like 6 years ago.

Best case scenario for Claudio in AEW is Brodie Lee:  being successfully refreshed enough that he could be useful putting over the guys who ARE going to be driving business for years to come.  Which is an important role and one I wouldn’t mind seeing Claudio in!  I’m certainly enjoying the hell out of this Brodie run.  (And, yes, there are a lot of amazing hypothetical matchups for him in AEW).

But if Claudio elects to re-up with WWE and finishes his career there,  I don’t think it materially impacts AEW in any way whatsoever.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 1