DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2019 - WEEK FIFTEEN

Gonzo

15 minutes ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

SupremeBVE, that's an absolutely phenomenal list and one I can get behind, especially the Randall Cunningham love.

I generally have a problem with hall of fames and how they reward having a long very good career over having a short great career.  Randall Cunningham is someone who probably should be a hall of famer, but he played in an era where no one had any idea how to use a player of his skill set.  Only him and Peyton Manning have two seasons on that list, but those two Cunningham seasons couldn't have been more different.  Can you imagine if he was a rookie this year?  He's probably not the athlete Lamar Jackson is, but I don't know if I've ever seen anyone with better arm talent than Randall Cunningham.  Honestly, if I had to choose one player all time who I think would be better in the current era than he was in his own era, he's the player I'd pick.  @johnnyboy the Madden quarterback I used to trade for when I was a teenager was Randall Cunningham.  Other than '99 after the Vikings had the best offense ever, you could always get him for pennies on the dollar...and was AWESOME as a videogame quarterback.

The second player I'd pick to be better in this era than his own, Eric Metcalf.

• Like 1

Cunningham would be interesting in today's game. He had elite arm strength but a super-long delivery and was not accurate. He also threw a lot of picks. A current OC could use him like Vick and he'd be incredibly dangerous. But I think he'd struggle in the short passing game without improving his accuracy. 

I am a little surprised the NFL hasn't flexed Niners/Seahawks to the Week 17 SNF game yet.

I am guessing they are waiting because those two teams could be locked into their spots while the Titans/Texans will be playing for the AFC South crown

Those are literally the only two games that matter that week (well I should say in head to head competition)

3 minutes ago, Tabe said:

Cunningham would be interesting in today's game. He had elite arm strength but a super-long delivery and was not accurate. He also threw a lot of picks. A current OC could use him like Vick and he'd be incredibly dangerous. But I think he'd struggle in the short passing game without improving his accuracy. 

I think he's a combination of Cam Newton and Lamar Jackson.  He works extremely well in a vertical passing game, but would be wasted in a short yardage, more West Coast passing game.  I also think they'd have to do everything possible to get him both a deep threat and a work horse running back.  His accuracy probably isn't as bad as you remember, he was actually pretty accurate for his era.  He threw some picks, but wasn't reckless with the ball.  His biggest problem is that he took way too many sacks...which lead to a lot of injuries.  I think he's probably built a little sturdier if he comes up in the current era.  It's been a while since we've seen any player as slim as he was in the NFL.  He only played 16 games twice..

55 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I generally have a problem with hall of fames and how they reward having a long very good career over having a short great career.  Randall Cunningham is someone who probably should be a hall of famer, but he played in an era where no one had any idea how to use a player of his skill set.  Only him and Peyton Manning have two seasons on that list, but those two Cunningham seasons couldn't have been more different.  Can you imagine if he was a rookie this year?  He's probably not the athlete Lamar Jackson is, but I don't know if I've ever seen anyone with better arm talent than Randall Cunningham.  Honestly, if I had to choose one player all time who I think would be better in the current era than he was in his own era, he's the player I'd pick.  @johnnyboy the Madden quarterback I used to trade for when I was a teenager was Randall Cunningham.  Other than '99 after the Vikings had the best offense ever, you could always get him for pennies on the dollar...and was AWESOME as a videogame quarterback.

The second player I'd pick to be better in this era than his own, Eric Metcalf.

Fun Cunningham fact that I'm sure you know that others might not: He shares the record for longest punt in NFL history of 98 yards, a 3rd down quick kick from his own goal line that got downed at the Giants one yard line (think it was at Giants Stadium).

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

I think he's a combination of Cam Newton and Lamar Jackson.  He works extremely well in a vertical passing game, but would be wasted in a short yardage, more West Coast passing game.  I also think they'd have to do everything possible to get him both a deep threat and a work horse running back.  His accuracy probably isn't as bad as you remember, he was actually pretty accurate for his era.  He threw some picks, but wasn't reckless with the ball.  His biggest problem is that he took way too many sacks...which lead to a lot of injuries.  I think he's probably built a little sturdier if he comes up in the current era.  It's been a while since we've seen any player as slim as he was in the NFL.  He only played 16 games twice..

One big plus he'd have in today's game is a lot more protection. Even at 73lbs like he was back then, he'd be more durable because he'd take fewer kill shots thanks to the rule changes. 

I would love to see him in today's game, for sure. 

16 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

Nah he should have been a wide receiver. . . . .Snort and eye roll.

Except, they probably had no idea how good of a runner he was.  He started 3 years at UNLV, his career total for rushing yards was a grand total of 223.  He was the starting quarterback, and the starting punter.

On 12/12/2019 at 11:24 AM, RIPPA said:

I am just putting this here because I am lazy

10 former NFL players are charged by federal prosecutors with defrauding the NFL's health care system (basically submitting invoices for things that they never bought, got treated for etc...)

The players

• Clinton Portis
  • Carlos Rogers
  • Robert McCune
  • John Eubanks,
  • Tamarick Vanover
  • Ceandris Brown,
  • James Butler
  • Frederick Bennett
  • Correll Buckhalter
  • Etric Pruitt

Additionally, Joe Horn and Reche Caldwell will be charged with conspiracy to commit health care fraud

How do we really know it was Clinton Portis though? It could have been Sheriff Gonna Getcha or Dr. I Don't Know.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Tabe said:

Nah. His punt was 91 yards (which is still amazing). 

OK I stand corrected. I just remember the announcers saying it was the longest punt in history, maybe it was NFC or Eagles history.

Lamar Jackson has basically become, in just his second year, Prime Steve Young with Deion Sanders's speed.

Much like Mahomes last year, and Marino way back in his second year, who knows if he'll ever have another year this good again? But for this year, he's one of the most impossible to defend players we have ever or will ever see.

2 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Lamar Jackson has basically become, in just his second year, Prime Steve Young with Deion Sanders's speed.

Much like Mahomes last year, and Marino way back in his second year, who knows if he'll ever have another year this good again? But for this year, he's one of the most impossible to defend players we have ever or will ever see.

He's not quite the passer Young was but that is a really great description nonetheless. He really is a crazy package unlike anything we've seen before. 

4 hours ago, Tabe said:

He's not quite the passer Young was but that is a really great description nonetheless. He really is a crazy package unlike anything we've seen before. 

He might not be as good a passer, but he might be. After all, he doesn't have Jerry Rice or Ricky Waters.

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Craig H said:

The real freakish thing is when you look at his stats from last year and the jump he made to this year. It's insane. I don't think I've ever seen anything like it.

I honestly think we're just scratching the surface on his passing skills.  He was in a super complex college offense that required him to make a lot of reads and adjust to the defense post snap.  He's one of the rare quarterbacks who actually has a leg up on the mental side, we just have to see how far he can take his fair to middling arm talent.  They need to do everything to get him a stud wideout in the next season or two.  If he gets someone who stretches the field deep in a way that can't be ignored, he can be even more unstoppable.  Just look at how little talent is around Deshaun Watson and Deandre Hopkins and how everything they do works because you have to focus on stopping them from playing 50 yard pitch and catch every down.  It's why Will Fuller has the occasional game where you wonder, "why aren't they covering him?"  When you have a player as good as Hopkins, you have to roll coverage to him, because he can beat your best guy more often than not.  So everyone else is single covered, or in a mismatch, which helps the quarterback.  If Hollywood Brown becomes an elite receiver, or they get an elite receiver, it is going to be a nightmare trying to scheme against that offense.    

2 hours ago, supremebve said:

If Hollywood Brown becomes an elite receiver, or they get an elite receiver, it is going to be a nightmare trying to scheme against that offense.    

Well, until Jackson inevitably blows out his ACL or something else.

• Like 1