DVDVR Message Board

2019 Q3 MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

That might be the single most incorrect sentence in the history of this message board.

Ironically, just by writing it, your sentence now takes the mantle ?

Caught The Kitchen and liked it a hell of a lot. And since it is a DC property(DC Vertigo to be exact) somebody finally made a really good DC movie.

My only issue was

that everybody seemed to be smirking a hell of a lot.

But I soon got over that. Everybody killed it. I am really starting to like Tiffany Haddish.

I'm guessing somebody has something for Michael Cimino over at Showtime because they've got The Deer Hunter in rotation too. If we get super lucky then maybe Year of the Dragon will show up (doubtful). 

Got to see Big Trouble in Little China for the first time ever all the way through in the theater today. After catching bits of stuff like Golden Swallow on El Rey before going to see it I was kind of underwhelmed by some of the kung fu. Still, the comedy and even the effects still hold up after all these years. 

28 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Got to see Big Trouble in Little China for the first time ever all the way through in the theater today. After catching bits of stuff like Golden Swallow on El Rey before going to see it I was kind of underwhelmed by some of the kung fu. Still, the comedy and even the effects still hold up after all these years. 

The best pure kung fu brawl in Big Trouble is the funeral and the martial arts vets (James Lew, Al Leong, Carter Wong, Peter Kwong, James Pax, etc.) do most of the heavy lifting.

I think Dennis Dun has just enough training to be dangerous but IIRC most of his fights were done with a stunt double working with Peter Kwong.

It's still one of my favorite John Carpenter movies.

Edited by J.T.

Just now, J.T. said:

The best pure kung fu brawl in Big Trouble is the funeral.  

That is the one that disappointed me, even though it was probably the best! I just wanted it to be super bloody and there was no way that was going to happen. I was thinking of Golden Swallow and was like "man, if this was made in Hong Kong..."

10 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

That is the one that disappointed me, even though it was probably the best! I just wanted it to be super bloody and there was no way that was going to happen. I was thinking of Golden Swallow and was like "man, if this was made in Hong Kong..."

No offense to Kurt or JC, but a Hong Kong director would've gotten a lead that could perform his own stunts.  JC manages to shield Kurt from the physicality by having him involved in the more humorous moments in the finale fight and of course Jack is the one that lands the killshot on Lo Pan and finally proves that he's more than the comedy relief.

It's all in the reflexes.

Peter Kwong famously said in a interview that it didn't dawn on him that Big Trouble was a comedy until he saw the final cut of the movie.  He also said that he absolutely LOVED the $3000 wig he wore as Rain because he always wanted to have really long hair.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

Its interesting to see complaints about Big Trouble in Little China as a Kung Fu movie since I never really saw it as one. Its about comedy and magic. The martial arts aspect always seemed like a distant third.

• Like 1

I wanted to really love Once Upon a Time... as well, and there are aspects I do - it's got the best parts Leo and Brad have had in a long time and they both nail it - but I can just live without the revenge fantasy bent of QT movies. He needs some new ideas, but we already knew this. Maybe I'd like it a lot more if he hadn't already made Inglourious.

2 minutes ago, Contentious C said:

I wanted to really love Once Upon a Time... as well, and there are aspects I do - it's got the best parts Leo and Brad have had in a long time and they both nail it - but I can just live without the revenge fantasy bent of QT movies. He needs some new ideas, but we already knew this. Maybe I'd like it a lot more if he hadn't already made Inglourious.

Especially with Leo basically recreating the end of Inglorious in his war movie. 

Gotta say, the hopper that came with Dish is already coming in handy. I now have Shivers, Re-Animator, Serial Mom, Cecil B. Demented (screw you I enjoy it), and An American Werewolf In London, none of which I have copies of except for a VHS of Shivers, recorded. Not only that but Epix Drive-In is killing it (Friday the 13th marathon tonight for whenever Raw is sucking it hard!).

So I'm watching Skyscraper with Dwayne Johnson and Neve Campbell and that, and Pablo Schreiber is freaking me out. Because in The Wire, he seemed taller than average, but not like a super huge dude. Then American Gods comes out, and he's like the biggest, roughest looking guy in the World in that, so I'm thinking it's camera tricks. Now he shows up in this, and he's all GQ looking and doesn't look rough at all, but he's also got a couple of inches height-wise on The Rock (although he also looks super skinny next to him, as you would).

I've stopped watching the movie halfway through because I'm going to bed soon. But it's not as bad as I thought it was going to be so far. Maybe the ending will suck or something. The set design (before they set fire to most of it) is fantastic. It's a bit like watching a wrestling match with inconsistent selling though. His character is an amputee, with a prosthetic leg, and he limps when he walks and can barely run at all, until the movie needs him to run and then he can sprint flat out no problem. But he goes back to limping and hobbling once the sprint is over.

Apparently Dwayne insists that if his character in a movie is married (or divorced), they have to cast an actress the same age as him to play his wife (or ex-wife). That's oddly refreshing.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, AxB said:

So I'm watching Skyscraper with Dwayne Johnson and Neve Campbell and that, and Pablo Schreiber is freaking me out. Because in The Wire, he seemed taller than average, but not like a super huge dude. Then American Gods comes out, and he's like the biggest, roughest looking guy in the World in that, so I'm thinking it's camera tricks. Now he shows up in this, and he's all GQ looking and doesn't look rough at all, but he's also got a couple of inches height-wise on The Rock (although he also looks super skinny next to him, as you would).

Imagine going from a dude who has to stand on a box to appear halfway tall like Vin Diesel (the norm for a good majority of these action stars past and present) to someone who irl is taller than you by two or three inches. 

On 8/11/2019 at 11:13 AM, driver said:

Caught The Kitchen and liked it a hell of a lot. And since it is a DC property(DC Vertigo to be exact) somebody finally made a really good DC movie.

My only issue was

Hide contents

that everybody seemed to be smirking a hell of a lot.

But I soon got over that. Everybody killed it. I am really starting to like Tiffany Haddish.

Saw this yesterday. It was great. Definitely great performances all around. 

So I saw Once Upon A Time In Hollywood. That.......was a movie. Huh. I mean, I can't say it was BAD, because the performances are all great. The individual scenes were great. But, yeah, there was no flowing narrative tying anything together at all. I'd be fully interested in watching the entire western that Leo was filming because the scenes they showed them shooting looked like it would've made for a good film. But, just.....what was this about? What was the story? Here's these two guys. They do stuff in late 60's Hollywood. And here's Sharon Tate. She does stuff too. Now they're getting robbed/killed by the hippies, but, NOPE. And THE END. So STRANGE.

Edited by MonteCarl
  • Like 1

On 8/9/2019 at 7:01 PM, AxB said:

People compared Waterworld to Ishtar. They called it Fishtar.

But I don't think Waterworld is going to get a critical reappraisal over the next few years, and start to be considered a flawed classic.

Do reverse critical appraisal's also happen, where movies that were greeted as universally beloved instant classics on release suddenly find that everyone thinks they suck? Because I was going to say Titanic was like that, except mainstream opinion still seems to like it quite a lot. Even though it's terrible. Except the Billy Zane bits.

Do people still like La La Land?

3 hours ago, MonteCarl said:

So I saw Once Upon A Time In Hollywood. That.......was a movie. Huh. I mean, I can't say it was BAD, because the performances are all great. The individual scenes were great. But, yeah, there was no flowing narrative tying anything together at all. I'd be fully interested in watching the entire western that Leo was filming because the scenes they showed them shooting looked like it would've made for a good film. But, just.....what was this about? What was the story? Here's these two guys. They do stuff in late 60's Hollywood. And here's Sharon Tate. She does stuff too. Now they're getting robbed/killed by the hippies, but, NOPE. And THE END. So STRANGE.

I realized afterwards, the clue is in the title of Once Upon a Time. It's meant to be a fantasy.

I watched the end of Skyscraper. I was further in than I thought, I was more like 3/4 of the way through than half. It's... OK. The set-up seems better than the payoff. There's an early scene that makes it clear that the action climax is going to be them doing an homage to the Hall of Mirrors sequence in Enter the Dragon, only better. The action climax is indeed an homage to the Hall of Mirrors sequence in Enter the Dragon. But not as good. Sorry.

Overall, it's worth watching but you won't love it.