DVDVR Message Board

The Walking Dead.

The Natural

Beth went from the least interesting, most annoying character to someone who was actually fun to watch. Should have known that that didn't bode well. How long is Father Gabriel going to stick around fucking things up? I'd be serving him to walkers on a platter long since.

Beth's death did nothing for me as it seemed really forced to illicit a reaction.  She was pretty much a non-entity until the past episode or two.

I saw several scenes in the previews showing what looked like a large gate they were trying to get around.   Could Alexandria be next for them?

They had a chance to make Beth a "fan favorite" character with the way they had written her this year, up until the last episode. I love the evolution of Rick, but walking straight into their turf like that was mind numbing, awful writing. Much like Beth stabbing Dawn with scissors. Stupid, lazy, gutless writing. The only reason for what transpired in the episode was the writing staff's need to give the fans a gut punch for "mid-season finale". 

Gah, I shouldn't complain so much, this season was actually pretty great overall, I just feel let down by a pretty limp finale (half-finale, I guess?). At least there was nothing as ridiculous this season as the "30 Second Governor Redemption" or "The Killer Disease That's Seriously Way Worse Than Zombies And Oh God What Do We Do Oh Some Children's Tylenol Cured It Yay" or "Farm".

If anyone's dying, it's a white person.

Called it. I was actually going to come back and predict it would either be Beth or Maggie, but the episode had already aired in American when I decided they were my picks. And it's a bit cheap to predict something that's technically already happened.

Carol sure recovered fast, didn't she? What are they putting in that Adrenalin?

Beth really was the last of the "innocents" of the group. I guess an argument could be made that Tyrese is kind of there what with the conversation he had on the rooftop and that he still refuses to kill anybody, but he at least knows the world he's in. Beth went from the farm to the prison to the hospital with just a few rough patches in between. She toughened up a bit with her stint in the hospital, but she still was an innocent niave girl.

That said, I was very surprised and shocked when that bullet went through her head. I knew she was going to stab Dawn and thought the ep would end with that death and perhaps a new war starting right there in the hallway, but when the back of her head blew off I said ".....shiiiittt". What an idiot though. Stab her in the arm? Get her jugular, dummy!

Beth's death did nothing for me as it seemed really forced to illicit a reaction.  She was pretty much a non-entity until the past episode or two.

I saw several scenes in the previews showing what looked like a large gate they were trying to get around.   Could Alexandria be next for them?

That's my guess, though I think I recall Noah saying he was from Richmond and that they had a "city with walls" there, so they're substituting Richmond for Alexandria, I suppose.

I hate it when rescue missions are for naught. First Sophia, then Andrea, now Beth. If you disappear, it's on you from now on.

To be fair, Andrea's conclusion was one which pretty much every viewer was happy to see happen.

I liked the episode and have greatly enjoyed the season, but I thought the hospital stuff was less than great, namely because I thought Dawn was a bad villain. She just didn't really get me to feel strongly about her either way and if anything, she almost seemed more likable than unlikable.

I also think they missed the boat on Maggie seemingly not giving a shit about Beth's whereabouts all season. Had Maggie mentioned her at least a couple of times, it would have made her scene all that more meaningful. That said, Norman Reedus' reaction was unbelievable and really moving.

Merle was the most unsuccessfully rescued character in the show though, wasn't he? Unless the DC trip counts as a failed rescue on everyone living.

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't seen anything posted about the spinoff show yet, but they've cast a few of the leads.

Cliff Curtis (Director Bowman from Live Free Or Die Hard)

MV5BMTU3NTg3NTQ4Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjAw

Kim Dickens (Gone Girl, Sons Of Anarchy, Lost)

MV5BMTUzMTMxNjQwNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNDQy

Frank Dillane (he played Tom Riddle in Harry Potter & The Half Blood Prince)

MV5BMjA5MzQ2MzEwN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTEw

Alycia Debnam Carey (she plays Lexa on that CW show The 100)

nm1486317.jpg

• 1 month later...

Tyrese always gave off an air of authenticity, like he was just a normal dude stuck in this shit house, nightmare of a world. Glen used to seem that way too, but at some point in the last couple years, he lost it and became just another Walking Dead character.

Wish he wasn't the one that died, too.

• Like 2

Pretty sure the BBC-style radio stuff was all supposed to be hallucinations.

How did Tyreese not hear younger brother walker (who I thought was locked in another room) coming?  Why was Tyreese so transfixed by the photos of Noah with his twin brother constantly giving him the side-eye? That whole sequence was shot and edited strangely.

I would imagine he felt a connection to the photos because of Sasha, and was probably fuming with rage/depression too. He probably tuned out everything and was in his own fantasy world, thinking about his childhood with Sasha.

Some scenes you have to make the connection yourself, it's not just thrown out at you. That's what I like about some of the more sobering sequences in the series.

Whether Tyrese was hallucinating the radio transmissions or not, I think it leads to something. I don't think it was an accident that they mentioned Terminus, specifically the guy locked in the holding container. He was pretty clearly the leader of the group that tried to overtake Terminus, leading to their cannibalistic ways. Perhaps that was the rogue group that the voice was talking about? If it was a hallucination, maybe it was a memory of transmissions he and Sascha heard at some point before they came across the prison and Woodbury?

Maybe he's out and leading a new group? That cuts up zombies for shits and giggles?

They mentioned on Talking Dead that the radio transmissions were a part of Tyrese's fever dream, it even plays into earlier scenes where he mentioned his Dad never turning off the radio.

It was Andrew Lincoln voicing the guy on the radio, too, if anyone is wondering.

I would imagine he felt a connection to the photos because of Sasha, and was probably fuming with rage/depression too. He probably tuned out everything and was in his own fantasy world, thinking about his childhood with Sasha.

Some scenes you have to make the connection yourself, it's not just thrown out at you. That's what I like about some of the more sobering sequences in the series.

That's not how I saw it, though. It almost seemed like he saw something sinister, something that worried him in the photos, to the point he zoned out and didn't hear the walker coming even though we did.

Again: Didn't they make a point of showing the child walker was safely contained behind a closed (locked?) door? I was surprised it was the same walker and not another one they missed.