DVDVR Message Board

The Walking Dead.

The Natural

Terminus is fucked, just fucked. Rick's group is stronger than ever. I was surprised to see Joe taken out so early, I would have rather his gang get offed leaving Joe as a lone psycho to fuck with the group for half of the next season. Still, the lesson is clear, do not call Rick "sport".

I thought the episode was good but that Rick's final line was horrendous. It was beyond cheesy. I enjoyed everything else. Rick going Jack Bauer and biting the guy's neck was awesome and that one fella getting his eye eaten by the zombie was just gruesome.

• Like 1

I've been out on this show for a few weeks now, but I checked in on this one just to see TV GOD MICHELLE MACLAREN work her magic. And, in a development even less surprising than finding out Terminus wasn't at all what it promised to be, it was by far the best directed episode of the series.

I thought it was interesting how, after the show, both Gimple and Lincoln had to make excuses for changing the last line from "fucking" to "screwing," claiming it was an FCC deal, when 1) the FCC doesn't govern cable, and 2) BREAKING BAD, on the same network, dropped several muted f-bombs over the course of the series.

EDIT: Ah, I see we've covered all this in the time it took me to write this post.

• Like 1

I'll be in the minority here and say that "screwing with" fits Rick's character better than "fucking with" would have.  Despite being a total badass, there's still some Andy Griffith left in Rick. Makes for an interesting contrast. On one hand you have a guy that rips another guy's throat out with his teeth, and then avoids dropping an f-bomb because there are women and his son present.

Or maybe the producers just pussied out and I'm giving the writers far too much credit for nuance.

"They're screwing with the wrong FUCKING people!" is a better line than either of the other options. Shows how his desire to refrain from using innappropriate language is overwhelmed by his frustration at finding himself powerless and outnumbered.

Also, I can't believe they let themselves get herded along like that - given who they are and what they've been through, they should have figured it out and not done what the Terminus guys were making them do. But then, plot takes preference over character for some writers.

It's going to be a huge challenge to keep this show fresh moving forward. It's such a cash cow for AMC that it's not going away anytime soon. I just don't see how they break from the find a home, the home isn't safe, we gotta move on structure of the show.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Great first episode.  Completely went against expectations blowing off Terminus instead of dragging it out for 7 episodes and Rick and his crew are becoming absolutely ruthless. 

Comic readers: was the guy in the train car at the end, who dragged a woman out of the car in the flashback, supposed to be Negan?

Great first episode.  Completely went against expectations blowing off Terminus instead of dragging it out for 7 episodes and Rick and his crew are becoming absolutely ruthless. 

Comic readers: was the guy in the train car at the end, who dragged a woman out of the car in the flashback, supposed to be Negan?

I assumed it was supposed to be Negan.

I should have just Googled it...Robert Kirkman said it wasn't.  It was supposed to be the guy with the tattoos on his face that Rick and his group later freed, but the lighting was such that it was hard to tell.

I shuold have just Googled it...Robert Kirkman said it wasn't.  It was supposed to be the guy with the tattoos on his face that Rick and his group later freed, but the lighting was such that it was hard to tell.

I just read this as well.  I guess I wanted it too badly to be Negan.  So much for that.