DVDVR Message Board

The Walking Dead.

The Natural

I'm not going to lie, at the beginning of the episode I thought outloud how I wanted to see these 2 girls go. Of course I mean via zombie chow. But the way they were actually offed was pretty intense.

Good to see Tyrese man up though.

Is it bad I laughed? Were we really supposed to be invested those two girls?

It's weird.  I felt they were both useless for damn near the whole time.  Lizzie was fucked in the head about everything and sympathized with the zombies.  I sensed she fed the rats when they were in the prison, so we got that answer.  But then she did what she did tonight and I knew she had to go.  Mica was getting it before the incident and I felt there was a chance for her.  I think it was the shock factor of it all.  I don't think I was necessarily invested in them at all.  If anything I'm invested in the show and like to get wrapped up in what's going on.  So when that happened I couldn't just step back and go "It's just a show, they're actors"  You tend to think at the time about what Carol's feeling, what's Tyrese feeling, is Lizzie feeling anything, etc.  A lot of people are like that.  What drove it home was the talking before that about the flowers.  Lizzie didn't even know why Carol was mad, she thought it was something else.  She was mentally disturbed.  Maybe at some point in the apocalypse it caused a change in her for the worse.  But there was no way she knew what was going on.  It was shocking, and a little disturbing at the time too.  It was very much "Of mice and men"  which is also a very powerful story.  

And hey, how about something NOT about Lizzie or Mica.  I was sure in the field Carol was going to spill the beans to Tyrese.  I fully expected that and was surprised when she didn't.  But the ending to it was the right scenario and the right reaction by both.  At this point there's no reason for Tyrese to react in any other way than that.

This pretty much solidified Carol as my favorite character. She's probably the most well-written one of the bunch and thinking back, it feels like she has been written as the most tragic character who has to go through this insane journey. I know for sure that if the spin-off were about Carol and a new group, I probably wouldn't watch OG Walking Dead again.

Haven't seen anybody mention how Lizzie was also the one who did the "Rabbit Sculpture" in the prison and, according to Tyrese, did it "just for fun". She was one of "those" kids who tortured animals and pulled wings off of flies. Maybe she was always like that, or maybe the turn caused her brain to snap, but she was not there. I said earlier in the episode to my fiancee that Carol was going to end up killing her, with the precedent set by her killing those people before at the prison for the good of the group. This was more of the same. The bigger shock to us was Lizzie killing her sister.

Damn...what an episode.

Thought this was one of their better episodes from start to finish.

Glenn and Maggie reuniting wasn't exactly Desmond and Penny in The Constant, but it was still a nice moment.

I'm actually anticipating next week's episode which is a rare thing for me.

Have they?  Herschel's farm was fine/safe (I wouldn't call Kid Zombie being in the barn a secret as much as a miscommunication), the prison was fine/safe.  Only Governorsville was secretly dangerous, but they let us know that pretty early on.

I will argue that Woodbury was perfectly safe and the presence of Rick's group fucked everything up. I mean, sure, the Governor was insane, but Rick and his group basically used a machete to dispatch of him when they should have used a scalpel.

• Like 1

I was thinking of the barn full of walkers being hidden at the farm and yeah, Woodbury. The CDC from season one fits a bit. I guess it's not that much but Terminus has felt like it's going to be more of the same since it was first mentioned. I sort of hope they cut to the chase with it and this lady tries to eat Carl this week or whatever.

Are they still planning that spinoff with stand alone stories within TWD universe?

OK, so Maggies group and Glen's group were on the same line, with Maggie's being closer in. Daryl and Rick's crew are on the same line as each other (almost certainly a different one to where Glen is) with Rick's closer in. Tyrese is on most likely a third track, only his is close enough to where Daryl was to see the smoke from the burning cottage, which Rick couldn't see. And yet somehow, in moving away from the prison in random directions, they all arrived at a track that would lead to Terminus sooner or later. But nobody saw anything related to Terminus while they were still in the prison, even though clearly whoever's in there must have been putting the signs up for months...

This is why Game of Thrones has a map.

Also, in the alternate universe where Walking Dead was one movie, and Zombieland is a weekly TV show, they probably write about how great it is on message boards all the time.