DVDVR Message Board

The Walking Dead.

The Natural

As much of Rick deserves it, it's not exactly interesting to watch. Rick isn't Joffrey. 

What I would like is for the gang to show some competence and not ruin everyone and everywhere they show up.

And not make hilariously bad decisions as the plot requires. 

Jeff Lee Morgan has said in interviews that if the show had been following Neegan from the start and Rick had just shown up last year and started screwing things up for everyone, Neegan would be the babyface right now.

17 hours ago, AxB said:

Jeff Lee Morgan has said in interviews that if the show had been following Neegan from the start and Rick had just shown up last year and started screwing things up for everyone, Neegan would be the babyface right now.

LOL except for the part where the babyface demands his men hand over their wives/girlfriends and burns dudes' faces with a hot iron when they get out of line.

Was listening to sports talk radio yesterday and they were talking about this episode and the host was saying that was hearing rumblings about people not watching the show anymore because this episode went way over the line with the violence.  I guess seeing people get there heads bashed in was the final straw after seven seasons of ultra violent content.

Last night's episode wasn't all that bad. Very lighthearted compared to what came the week before. I already love King Ezekiel and Shiva, especially when he broke character talking to Carol towards the end of the episode. I still don't really like Carol or Morgan or understand their personal story arcs, but it's fine - not good, not bad, just there.

The pig herding confused me at first, but later on in the episode it made total sense and made me grin ear-to-ear. That's pretty brilliant (and very gross).

I like the opposite ends of the spectrum approach in regards to leading between Negan and Ezekiel and you look at Rick in comparison to those two and you see Rick definitely more towards Negan side of things.

The actor who plays Ezekiel voices Cyborg on Teen Titans Go, which is my daughters favorite show, so that automatically puts him at a special place for me.

3 hours ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

The actor who plays Ezekiel voices Cyborg on Teen Titans Go, which is my daughters favorite show, so that automatically puts him at a special place for me.

I already liked him well enough as Ezekial. The fact that he is Cyborg from TTG/NTT & Aqualad from YJ is just awesome. I've never seen him act in non-voice roles before.

• Like 1

Nothing says "we don't mind losing even more viewers" than taking a 60 minute episode's worth of material and stretching it out to 85.  

Spoiler

And Rick straight up admitting that Lil' Asskicker is Shane's kid. 

Why spend all that time last week trying to humanise Dwight and say he's a tragic character who misses his wife and hates living under Negan's rule, if the next thing he does is to start bullying and perving on Rosita? 

There have been four episodes so far this season. They had enough material for two and a half at best. But that's what they do, it's always big episode one, quiet and dull until the end of the mid-season.

On 11/14/2016 at 8:22 PM, zev said:

Nothing says "we don't mind losing even more viewers" than taking a 60 minute episode's worth of material and stretching it out to 85.  

Reveal hidden contents

And Rick straight up admitting that Lil' Asskicker is Shane's kid. 

Yeah, this is definitely a show that's high off its own success, way up its own ass, and convinced it could do no wrong.  There was no reason that 90 minute episode couldn't be 60.  Though nothing is bad as last season where they faked killing Glenn, then followed it up with a 90 minute flashback of Morgan learning to use the bo staff.

At least they gave Steven Ogg a decent amount of screen time this week.

I'm starting to think Negan is miscast. Jeff D Morgan doesn't seem physically imposing enough, he's the same size as Rick. In the comics, Neegan is a tall, heavily built guy, and you can buy that everyone is scared of him because he's physically intimidating. Whereas Morgan's shoulders seem to have halved in width since he was the Comedian (or Supernatural Dad). Also he keeps doing that gleaming teeth smile and telling people how the world works, and it reminds me too much of DDP's old creepy motivational speaker gimmick.

Negan-comics.jpg?itok=4rcxnewa

See, that's a guy who's taller and bulkier than everyone else.

Spoiler

the-walking-dead-episode-704-rick-lincol

(Spoiled for size) That's two guys in the same weight class. And the shorter one is probably tougher.

• Like 1

It does make sense in this context that he killed Abraham first though, Abraham could have mashed him up in a fist fight. And Tyrese would have smashed him, if only he'd have lived. If they'd have found a guy built like Chad Coleman, but taller*, that would have worked. Or they could have cast Mark Henry as Negan, he looks monstrous next to ordinary human beings.

* I looked it up. Coleman is 5'11" and 200 lbs, and was born Sept 6th, 1974. So I'm an inch taller, ten pounds lighter, and two days younger. Basically, we're the same person.

And for those of you that missed the episode 2 Sundays ago, it's ok, because they pretty much did the same episode this week, just with different characters. Maybe next week Negan's third best lieutenant will go on a road trip and take half of what's left of Woodbury or Herschel's farm.

Oh and apologies to superfans of the show that check out this thread. I still watch, but I've been bitter since they killed off Beth. I'm the same way about LOST...

Spoiler

I got the same way once they killed off Charlie. Regardless of off screen reasons for that story decision, it still sucked.

I watch every week but don't feel much need to comment on it.  But considering I didn't read the comic/graphic novel, I love Negan and Jeffrey Dean Morgan playing him.  He's such a hated villain, but also so charismatic that it wouldn't take much to make him likeable.  His line to Rick in the 90-minute episode (putting something in a mouth, you get the idea) was an instantly memorable line that I loved so much.  Other than that right now it's just "Here's Negan stories throughout the camps, and here's how the camps do things around here."  It's all just setup for some showdown in the winter break, then more setup leading to season finale.  Still worth watching though.

On 11/25/2016 at 10:36 AM, NikoBaltimore said:

I watch every week but don't feel much need to comment on it.  But considering I didn't read the comic/graphic novel, I love Negan and Jeffrey Dean Morgan playing him.  He's such a hated villain, but also so charismatic that it wouldn't take much to make him likeable.  His line to Rick in the 90-minute episode (putting something in a mouth, you get the idea) was an instantly memorable line that I loved so much.  Other than that right now it's just "Here's Negan stories throughout the camps, and here's how the camps do things around here."  It's all just setup for some showdown in the winter break, then more setup leading to season finale.  Still worth watching though.

Funny thing about that line is, in the comic, he tells Rick as soon as he gets into town that he's going to do that ("I am going to...").  Saying it again as he leaves ("In case you didn't notice, I just...") is the payoff.  Is there some rule AMC follows about that level of vulgarity around 9pm that they loosen up on by 10:30?  Or is it some deal where the network would let them say it only once, not twice?

14 hours ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

That was one of the worst episodes of television.  Ever.

Seriously.  The post-prison episodes, where each focused on a different splintered group of survivors, taught the show runners a cheap and easy tactic to stretch the show out like turkey meat.  They could hold off on the final confrontation with the Saviors for three seasons like this.  I think Greg Nicotero's motto is, "fuck you, we know you're going to watch."

Considering a lot The Walking Dead viewers are sheep, he has every right to adopt that motto.  Just like all the dumb sheep who complained about the season six finale who came back to season seven like crack addicts going through withdrawal ready to fall off the wagon.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, clintthecrippler said:

"On next week's Walking Dead, an entire hour devoted to letting you know what Darryl's motorcycle was doing while it was hidden in the woods."

If it doesn't talk like KITT, go all Maximum Overdrive and run over some walkers, and then dream of electric sheep, I'm going to have to pass on that one.

• Like 1