DVDVR Message Board

2019 Q2 TV DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

3 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

Has anyone been watching Chernobyl? The amount of yes men and sycophants in the first two episodes was beyond infuriating! How much quicker do you think that type of incident would've been deal with if it happened anywhere other than USSR?

Chernobyl has been great.  And the Soviet Union was in a unique situation because of how authoritarian (and consequently, corruptly) it was set up.  People who you believed to be your friend would sell you out at a drop of a hat, so you had to make sure there was absolutely no reason for them to.  

That being said, the response from the USSR was atrociously bad and the only reason they ever acknowledged it was because of how quickly the radiation spread.   I'd like to think that another country would have done better, but there's a lot to be said about the Soviet's willingness to all but literally throw people at the situation until it got resolved.  So, if this happened in some place like say... the USA... there would be a lot less yes men, but still a LOT of bureaucracy that could cause delays and put potential lives at risk.  

6 of one, half a dozen of the other.  

(Also, make sure you're listening to the podcast as it helps fill in a lot of things they just can't get to in the miniseries)

3 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

(Also, make sure you're listening to the podcast as it helps fill in a lot of things they just can't get to in the miniseries)

Thanks, will do. I'm only two episodes in so a bit behind, the ending of episode 2 sent my heart rate through the roof! Just stumbled across this gif today which blew my mind

giphy.gif

2 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Chernobyl has been great.  And the Soviet Union was in a unique situation because of how authoritarian (and consequently, corruptly) it was set up.  People who you believed to be your friend would sell you out at a drop of a hat, so you had to make sure there was absolutely no reason for them to.  

That being said, the response from the USSR was atrociously bad and the only reason they ever acknowledged it was because of how quickly the radiation spread.   I'd like to think that another country would have done better, but there's a lot to be said about the Soviet's willingness to all but literally throw people at the situation until it got resolved.  So, if this happened in some place like say... the USA... there would be a lot less yes men, but still a LOT of bureaucracy that could cause delays and put potential lives at risk.  

6 of one, half a dozen of the other.  

The podcast has been fantastic and in fact, that's one of the topics they discuss - the Soviet Union response vs our response. In the Soviet Union, there was this almost willingness to die for your country and put your life on the line for something like this whereas here, if the same thing happened at 3 Mile Island, they would have evacuated the entire area, put a fence around it, and try not to risk any lives. I believe this was in the 2nd episode of the podcast where they talked about "counting lives." 

The series is indeed great and I've been really shocked at how well it's matched up to reality. This is going to win a ton of awards. It's just one of the most haunting things I've seen. I also never thought there would be anything in this series that would make me laugh, but last week and this week both had moments that made me chuckle a little bit. Last week was when we first meet the miners. This week was Legasov saying the rover being used wasn't the one actually used on the moon.

Just now, Dolfan in NYC said:

Oh, I wouldn't eat when you're watching episode 3.   Or before.   

You're gonna see some stuff.  

This is the best advice. Also, don't watch any of these episodes before going to bed. The first three episodes in particular.

The previous three Mondays I did the really, really dumb thing of watching Raw and then watching Chernobyl and then going to bed. Felt like I needed a Klonopin each night.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

Thanks, will do. I'm only two episodes in so a bit behind, the ending of episode 2 sent my heart rate through the roof! Just stumbled across this gif today which blew my mind

giphy.gif

I vaguely remember when the Chernobyl distaster became public knowledge, how we were not allowed to go out and play even though the weather was great for that time of the year (I am living in one of the dark-red areas in central Europe). I was only five-years-old but I still remember the spookiness of the whole thing, the invisible danger, the complete uncertainty of my parents what to do / allow and what not.

Edited by Robert s
  • Sad 1

After 10 minutes of episode 1, I like the Adams/Gilliam feel of Good Omens. 

(Yes, it dropped tonight. Good night to be at work with not much to do.) 

Edit: 2 episodes in, enjoying it so far. Mostly faithful, with necessarily modernization to things. Casting seems pretty spot on, having not gotten to the big cameos yet. 

Edited by odessasteps
  • Like 2

On 5/28/2019 at 2:13 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Oh, I wouldn't eat when you're watching episode 3.   Or before.   

You're gonna see some stuff.  

Are we talking about the miner's here? ? 

I turned to my missus and was like “Wait, is that what I look like when I’m walking around in the buff?” lol.

But seriously...

Spoiler

I'm glad we didn't see the poor guy with no face who the suits made look into the reactor

On 5/28/2019 at 4:54 PM, Robert s said:

I vaguely remember when the Chernobyl distaster became public knowledge, how we were not allowed to go out and play even though the weather was great for that time of the year (I am living in one of the dark-red areas in central Europe). I was only five-years-old but I still remember the spookiness of the whole thing, the invisible danger, the complete uncertainty of my parents what to do / allow and what not.

My mum was just telling me about us being out in the rain and not realising it was contaminated after it happened, and how they had to close all the fells in the Lake District and farmers weren't allowed to trade livestock either. Crazy

Edited by CreativeControl

The Bash Brothers Experience on Netflix is completely insane. Andy Sandburg and his Lonely Island dudes portray Jose Canseco, Mark McGwire and other 80s ballplayers as they make a “visual poem” rap musical. It is so absurd.

• Like 1

On the whole, pretty happy with Good Omens. 

Even though it was new material, i had guessed the twist with the trials. 

My other other takeaway is "wow, did the woman playing Anathema remind me of young Jami Gertz." 

Edited by odessasteps
  • Like 1

Double whammy this weekend.

Deadwood's finale was sad mainly because it's a bummer to see it go, but it was fantastic.

Fleabag Season 2 was soul crushingly good. Amazingly good. I've been calling Barry the best tv show if the year, but Fleabag matches it. Phoebe Waller-Bridge is outstanding.

NBC cancelled Abby's, The Village and The Enemy Within

THAT WILL TEACH YOU TO SELL OUT YOUR COUNTRY!

I guess it also cancelled AP Bio but we might have known that already

23 hours ago, RIPPA said:

NBC cancelled Abby's, The Village and The Enemy Within

THAT WILL TEACH YOU TO SELL OUT YOUR COUNTRY!

I guess it also cancelled AP Bio but we might have known that already

Note to all It's Always Sunny cast members. Stop picking other network tv shows to do. They will for sure be cancelled.

The streak... is over.

giphy.gif

James Holzhauer didn't find either of the Daily Doubles during Double Jeopardy and was defeated by a librarian from Chicago who found both. 

His final line: 32 wins, $2,464,216 total in winnings. And one would assume the heavy favourite in the next Tournament of Champions. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

The streak... is over.

giphy.gif

James Holzhauer didn't find either of the Daily Doubles during Double Jeopardy and was defeated by a librarian from Chicago who found both. 

His final line: 32 wins, $2,464,216 total in winnings. And one would assume the heavy favourite in the next Tournament of Champions. 

Yeah, the key to his victories is board control so that you can extend your cash with Daily Doubles and that only happens when you are comfortable with the categories. 

The people that do the research for the categories finally hit on the magic combination to even the playing field for the other contestants.

I did admire how James had the discipline to simply not buzz in if he didn't know the answer.  Guessing when you don't know jack about the topic is how most people end up in the hole.

4 hours ago, Craig H said:

That final episode of Chernobyl...Jesus. That might be the most haunting of them all. Just incredibly sad at it all.

I was fine up until a couple of the facts at the end. That one dude working in a nuclear plant after he served his sentence and the official death count both made me want to punch something.