DVDVR Message Board

2019 Q2 TV DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

LA's Finest (the Bad Boys spinoff)

Available now (technically - since I don't know how many people have Spectrum)

Charter Communications has set the premiere date for its first Spectrum Originals series, the “Bad Boys” spinoff “L.A.’s Finest,” starring Gabrielle Union and Jessica Alba.

The first three episodes of the cop drama will be made available for free to subscribers on Spectrum’s On Demand platform on Monday, May 13. The rest of the season will be released weekly each subsequent Monday for the remainder of the 13-episode run.

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 8:27 AM, RIPPA said:

Okay - as of yesterday this was the list of stuff that is going away (a bunch were already known)

ABC

The Kids Are Alright (Season 1) 
The Fix (Season 1) 
For the People (Season 2) 
Speechless (Season 3) 
Splitting Up Together (Season 2)

CBS

Fam (Season 1) 
Happy Together (Season 1) 
Life in Pieces (Season 4) 
Murphy Brown (Season 1)

FOX

The Cool Kids (Season 1) 
The Gifted (Season 2) 
Lethal Weapon (Season 3) 
The Passage (Season 1) 
Proven Innocent (Season 1) 
Rel (Season 1) 
Star (Season 3)

NBC

I Feel Bad (Season 1)

Surprised that The Kids Are Alright, Splitting Up Together and Fam got cancelled. Speechless had basically written themselves into cancellation, with the son graduating high school. Writing was on the wall for Life in Pieces when it's season premiere was in late April. Too bad, because I found it funny. David Alan Grier was pretty good on The Cool Kids, but I can see why it got cancelled.

15 hours ago, Craig H said:

Veep's series finale was kinda just there until the last 15 minutes. That was a lot of what I had missed from this season.

Make that the last 20 minutes or so, once Selina went full-meltdown it was on. I am not surprised about who was president at the end, the only thing that surprised me was

Spoiler

that it was in a "24 years later" epilogue. The way Richard was climbing up the last few episodes (one promotion per episode) I was sure that he was leaving the convention as the candidate.

Since Richard Splett is my favorite character on the show (looking at my Funko Pop of him on my desk right now), his ending brought a tear to my eye. I know a lot of people were put off by how evil Selena was and how terrible the ending was (not terrible in quality, but just dark), but the ending for Richard was so fucking good and really brought a smile to my face.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Craig H said:

I know a lot of people were put off by how evil Selena was

The show's always taken a deeply cynical view of nearly everyone who would ever consider a career in politics. If they were put off by that, how'd they manage to watch the show all these years?

There was absolutely nothing wrong with the last season of Samurai Jack.  It was an excellent tale of impossible love and this coming from a guy that hates the bad science of time travel paradox gimmicks as plotline.

I don't watch Star but I am surprised that it was cancelled.  How could a show in the Empire power block fail to catch fire?

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, J.T. said:

There was absolutely nothing wrong with the last season of Samurai Jack.  It was an excellent tale of impossible love and this coming from a guy that hates the bad science of time travel paradox gimmicks as plotline.

I personally didn’t like the re-formatting of the show from an experimental episodic program, into a serial. It wasn’t bad, I just didn’t care for this story that was designed to wrap it up, and needed more time to breath. Felt too little, too late for them to change the show like that.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I personally didn’t like the re-formatting of the show from an experimental episodic program, into a serial. It wasn’t bad, I just didn’t care for this story that was designed to wrap it up, and needed more time to breath. Felt too little, too late for them to change the show like that.

I accept that criticism, but I was happy to get some closure on the storyline even though it was bittersweet and I was hoping for Jack to find love in addition to victory.

23 minutes ago, Casey said:

So where do we talk about Disney acquiring full control of Hulu?

In the thread where we speculate whether or not Disney will develop future seasons of the TAFKA Netflix Marvel shows for the Hulu that Disney now owns lock, stock, and barrel..

We all know full well that the content of a show like Netfilx's The Punisher was not going to make it to Disney+ and now Disney has a medium to showcase their "more adult" content.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

First priority: Create a better UI to replace this shitty one that replaced a perfectly usable a good one however many years ago.

It's probably been 2 or 3 years with this UI and I still hate it. It's really, really shitty compared to what they had before and compared to Netflix or Prime or, hell, even Comcast Xfinity's streaming service.

And while they're fixing that, maybe fix other issues with Hulu that have been lingering since the UI change. Busted shit like watching a TV show that's in your "My Stuff" or favorites area or whatever that gets frozen on an older episode. So basically, if you go into Hulu and click on the picture for the tv show you want to watch, it will play what should be the next episode in line, but you could be on season 3 episode 10 and it'll be stuck on season 2 episode 2. 

The Steve Harvey era appears to be coming to an end

His talk show has been cancelled (a Kelly Clarkson hosted talk show is replacing it)

He also lost his gig hosting Little Big Shots as Melissa McCarthy is now the host there.

Apparently it is due to a feud between NBC and the company that produces Harvey's show

But, as The Root noted in its earlier coverage about NBC deciding to drop Harvey’s talk show, the decision to boot Harvey from Big Shots may have had less to do with “fresh perspective” and more to do with a feud between NBCUniversal and Endeavor’s IMG Original Content, the company that produces Harvey’s talk show.

NBC lost its ownership stakes in the talk show under the deal Harvey struck with IMG and was upset about that.

He remains the Family Feud host

• Like 1

Family Feud without Steve Harvey, to me, would just feel weird. So I’m glad he’s still hosting that.

But I hate his talk show and I’ve never seen the other show you mentioned, so I don’t care about that. 

Little Big Shots was random NBC filler where tiny children performed various acts (singing, comedy, magic, etc). So your typical exploitative TV fare

11 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

The show's always taken a deeply cynical view of nearly everyone who would ever consider a career in politics. If they were put off by that, how'd they manage to watch the show all these years?

Yes, but there was a noticeable change in snark and even some characters once the show changed showrunners. Personally I still watched and found things to like about the show but I don't blame others for saying the show snark/style changed and tone wasnt for them after the new showrunner took over.

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Family Feud without Steve Harvey, to me, would just feel weird. So I’m glad he’s still hosting that.

But I hate his talk show and I’ve never seen the other show you mentioned, so I don’t care about that. 

Family Feud is Steve Harvey remembering that he was an awesome comedian in the past, so it rules.

Steve's talk show is about Steve shilling the products from the companies he and his family have invested in mixed in, so it sucks for the most part.

I tend to agree with 75% of the relationship advice he gives (ex. knowing your own personal worth, not making sex the culmination of a relationship) but the other 25% is a bit antiquated.

Edited by J.T.

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

The Party of Five reboot on Freeform

In this version the parents are deported as opposed to dying as in the original

This goes along with my theory that FreeForm exists to be a place Disney puts all the stuff it doesn't want the heat on its normal channels for, with the benefit of being shit that will get Pat Robinson and the CBN folks up in arms in the War of Attrition to get CBN to finally say fuck it and back out of that "in perpetuity" clause in the what now is FreeForm Network's charter.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Raziel said:

This goes along with my theory that FreeForm exists to be a place Disney puts all the stuff it doesn't want the heat on its normal channels for, with the benefit of being shit that will get Pat Robinson and the CBN folks up in arms in the War of Attrition to get CBN to finally say fuck it and back out of that "in perpetuity" clause in the what now is FreeForm Network's charter.

More fuel for that

Motherland: Fort Salem

Motherland: Fort Salem is set in an alternate version of America where witches have agreed to fight for the United States in exchange for an end to their persecution. The series follows three young women from basic training in combat magic into terrifying and thrilling early deployment. In this world, the traditional roles of gender and power are flipped with women on the front lines to fight looming and terrorist threats that are strikingly familiar to our world, but with supernatural tactics and weapons.

Watch the trailer and play Bingo on ways Pat Robertson's head would explode

• Like 1

FreeForm is home to the show I have to pretend to like so The Wife and I can get QT after we get the baby down for the night (said show is Siren). She sufffers me watching Brooklyn 99, Dallas rerun on Freedive and NYPD Blue so her getting her weird, cheaply made Canadian mermaid show is a small caveat.

James