Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board
The Natural

FEBRUARY 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION.

Recommended Posts

It's crazy to look back at old JCP tapes and realize that Arn was about the same age as guys like Luger, Sting, Nikita and Magnum who were thought of as young stars. When I was a kid, I thought he and Flair were the same age.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AxB said:

Is he under the impression Impact is closing soon, and he thinks he'll be better placed to pick up their remaining top guys (I'm guessing he wants Brian Cage, Moose and Killer Kross mostly) if he's got ex-Impact guys to make the offer.


Come on, guys, you know better: Vince has no idea who these people are.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Casey said:

doesn't Matt Hardy have like 10 days left on his contract? His Twitter makes it seem like he doesn't expect it to be renewed.

11 days is what he said. At other points he made it seem like he was just considering his offers.

And I have a feeling with Arn is his contract ran out and they just didn't renew it. Not all contracts end at the end of the month or on a Friday

Of course - people can spin that however they like (IF that is what happened - but taking Sheet's report at face value - that's another reason for the "weird" timing)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BTW - as people have pointed out - that means Jeff's deal is almost up too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm celebrating my 25th anniversary as a pro wrestling announcer. I want to thank you all for your expertise, because I hadn't watched any Ring of Honor before I started announcing there. You were very helpful. 

Top 25 Moments of my First 25 Years as a Pro Wrestling Announcer

1. First Show - Jan. 28, 1994 for American States Wrestling Alliance in Mansfield, Ohio - Dad is my timekeeper and DJ

2. Mom and Dad: "Jeff, you got a phone call from Bubba the Stompin' Hillbilly"

3. Driving Mick Foley to Johnstown, PA so he can be special referee for Jerry Lawler vs. Dusty Rhodes

4. Calling play-by-play for Low Ki vs. Samoa Joe in my Ring of Honor debut, Glory By Honor, in 2002

5. Meeting Eddy Guerrero and ring announcing his match with CM Punk for the IWC and WWF Intercontinental titles

6. Solo commentary and ring announcing for the first IWC Super Indy tournament, featuring Punk, Colt Cabana, Low-Ki and Chris Daniels

7. Doing the Time Warp and Fargo Strut for Lou Marconi's farewell to PWX in Pittsburgh

8. Erie baseball stadium show: Announcing from the pitcher's mound, Norm Connors enters with Lord Zoltan on a bullpen cart before getting chased around the bases by Virgil

9.  Announcing Greg Valentine vs. Brutus Beefcake with my brother Rob - Dad took us to our first show in 1985 with Dream Team defending the WWF tag belts against the British Bulldogs

10. Announcing Mike Quackenbush vs. El Hijo del Santo for Future Wrestling Alliance in 2000

11. Cracking up laughing in the ring while introducing Private Eye in Chikara (I hadn't seen the full outfit backstage) 

12. Announcing Fabulous Moolah & Mae Young in the back of a van on a rainy outdoor show for "APWF 2000"

13. Announcing Chris Hero vs. CM Punk for 30 minutes in IWC while calming my 1-year-old daughter on my lap

14. Jake Roberts grabs me from behind by the shoulders, so he can take my mic and cut a drunken promo on the crowd in Firestorm Pro Wrestling

15. Cleveland Knights Championship Wrestling 1st Anniversary show with Billy Gunn and Rock & Roll Express

16. Calling a "Gorilla Monsoon Tribute Match" with Hot $hot Drew Lazario 

17. Cutting a promo on Norm Connors for selling Steel City Wrestling to Cueball Carmichael for $1 before introducing Blue Meanie as my mystery WWF superstar in the Steel City title tournament

18. Joining UndaGround Wrestling at my cousin's Rubber City Pop Culture Festival

19. Road trips to Philadelphia to call play-by-play for Ring of Honor featuring IHOP pancakes and Sour Skittles

20. Announcing with Joe Dombrowski and Kingdom James (GOAT Announcing Trio)

21. Announcing the first ROH show in Chicago - My daughter rides on my back in a baby backpack in the locker room before the show - Punk & Cabana win the ROH tag belts 

22. Producing Eric Bischoff's backstage segments at the New World Rising iPPV for Cleveland Knights Championship Wrestling in 2018

23. Crowd cheers for me before the main event of ROH Revenge on the Prophecy in the company's Pittsburgh debut in 2003

24. IWC departure in 2004 - Thanking my wife, kid and wrestlers - Also announcing Dennis Condrey for the first time (Original Midnights vs. Smothers-Hamrick)

25. My 25th anniversary show in my hometown of Akron at the bottom of the Soap Box Derby hill with Mom in the crowd for the first time

Photos and links available on Twitter at the hashtag #Gorman25

Goal for the next 25 years: Become the first announcer ever to work for WWE, UFC and Major League Baseball

  • Like 35
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats, man! That’s really awesome. To 25 more.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:


Come on, guys, you know better: Vince has no idea who these people are.

I'm pretty sure Vince knows who Brian Cage is.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, colonial said:

It also could be financial, given the recent hirings of Jarrett, Abyss, Shawn Daivari, Helms and Dutt (as well as reports the WWE is training Matt Hardy and Jason Jordan to be producers as well).

Wait, what?  How badly was he hurt?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Wait, what?  How badly was he hurt?  

Bad - he is still having the nerve issue where he can't grip with one of his hands

A few of the name folks reported that the WWE isn't sure he will ever return to wrestling and one idea tossed around was him working behind the scenes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Gorman said:

I'm celebrating my 25th anniversary as a pro wrestling announcer. I want to thank you all for your expertise, because I hadn't watched any Ring of Honor before I started announcing there. You were very helpful. 

Top 25 Moments of my First 25 Years as a Pro Wrestling Announcer

1. First Show - Jan. 28, 1994 for American States Wrestling Alliance in Mansfield, Ohio - Dad is my timekeeper and DJ

2. Mom and Dad: "Jeff, you got a phone call from Bubba the Stompin' Hillbilly"

3. Driving Mick Foley to Johnstown, PA so he can be special referee for Jerry Lawler vs. Dusty Rhodes

4. Calling play-by-play for Low Ki vs. Samoa Joe in my Ring of Honor debut, Glory By Honor, in 2002

5. Meeting Eddy Guerrero and ring announcing his match with CM Punk for the IWC and WWF Intercontinental titles

6. Solo commentary and ring announcing for the first IWC Super Indy tournament, featuring Punk, Colt Cabana, Low-Ki and Chris Daniels

7. Doing the Time Warp and Fargo Strut for Lou Marconi's farewell to PWX in Pittsburgh

8. Erie baseball stadium show: Announcing from the pitcher's mound, Norm Connors enters with Lord Zoltan on a bullpen cart before getting chased around the bases by Virgil

9.  Announcing Greg Valentine vs. Brutus Beefcake with my brother Rob - Dad took us to our first show in 1985 with Dream Team defending the WWF tag belts against the British Bulldogs

10. Announcing Mike Quackenbush vs. El Hijo del Santo for Future Wrestling Alliance in 2000

11. Cracking up laughing in the ring while introducing Private Eye in Chikara (I hadn't seen the full outfit backstage) 

12. Announcing Fabulous Moolah & Mae Young in the back of a van on a rainy outdoor show for "APWF 2000"

13. Announcing Chris Hero vs. CM Punk for 30 minutes in IWC while calming my 1-year-old daughter on my lap

14. Jake Roberts grabs me from behind by the shoulders, so he can take my mic and cut a drunken promo on the crowd in Firestorm Pro Wrestling

15. Cleveland Knights Championship Wrestling 1st Anniversary show with Billy Gunn and Rock & Roll Express

16. Calling a "Gorilla Monsoon Tribute Match" with Hot $hot Drew Lazario 

17. Cutting a promo on Norm Connors for selling Steel City Wrestling to Cueball Carmichael for $1 before introducing Blue Meanie as my mystery WWF superstar in the Steel City title tournament

18. Joining UndaGround Wrestling at my cousin's Rubber City Pop Culture Festival

19. Road trips to Philadelphia to call play-by-play for Ring of Honor featuring IHOP pancakes and Sour Skittles

20. Announcing with Joe Dombrowski and Kingdom James (GOAT Announcing Trio)

21. Announcing the first ROH show in Chicago - My daughter rides on my back in a baby backpack in the locker room before the show - Punk & Cabana win the ROH tag belts 

22. Producing Eric Bischoff's backstage segments at the New World Rising iPPV for Cleveland Knights Championship Wrestling in 2018

23. Crowd cheers for me before the main event of ROH Revenge on the Prophecy in the company's Pittsburgh debut in 2003

24. IWC departure in 2004 - Thanking my wife, kid and wrestlers - Also announcing Dennis Condrey for the first time (Original Midnights vs. Smothers-Hamrick)

25. My 25th anniversary show in my hometown of Akron at the bottom of the Soap Box Derby hill with Mom in the crowd for the first time

Photos and links available on Twitter at the hashtag #Gorman25

Goal for the next 25 years: Become the first announcer ever to work for WWE, UFC and Major League Baseball

That's super cool, dude. Congratulations!

I read this and remembered Gabe shouting "DANGEROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUS!" when crazy high spots occurred on old ROH shows. I YouTubed for that, but didn't come across any, but...

I did come across this neat video:

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Bad - he is still having the nerve issue where he can't grip with one of his hands

A few of the name folks reported that the WWE isn't sure he will ever return to wrestling and one idea tossed around was him working behind the scenes

I wonder if his dad still has Dr. Jho's number lying around... 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gorman said:

Fabulous Moolah & Mae Young in the back of a van on a rainy outdoor show for "APWF 2000"

That was a spectacularly sordid episode of Bangbus.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I'm pretty sure Vince knows who Brian Cage is.

LOL I thought the same.  He doesn't know his name, only knows him as "guy I got turgid over last week." 

giphy.gif

  • Like 1
  • Haha 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Too early to talk Wrestlemania entrances?

I think I need Joan Jett live playing Bad Reputation for Ronda, some bizarro version of Bohemian Rhapsody for Charlotte, and the Dropkick Murphys playing Shipping up to Boston / Becky’s theme for Becky.

I want big entrances.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My dream big entrance for a long while recently was Mastodon playing out Strowman for a main event title shot.

:(

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everything I said about Greg Valentine being born 40+ years old and just not aging also applies to Arn Anderson, who I assume was also born wearing bifocals and a combover and that he held up four fingers before slapping the doctor while he was only half out of the womb.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When he was in developmental I felt because of his gruff voice, and looks they could’ve put Solomon Crow(Sami Callihan) in a three man team with The Revival. Just give him a haircut, and have him wear polos. This would’ve eventually lead to them being Bobby Roode’s backup, and into NXT’s version of the Horsemen. That could still be Sami, he just needs to tone down the Indy BS 100 finishers a match, and clean up his look.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

When he was in developmental I felt because of his gruff voice, and looks they could’ve put Solomon Crow(Sami Callihan) in a three man team with The Revival. Just give him a haircut, and have him wear polos. This would’ve eventually lead to them being Bobby Roode’s backup, and into NXT’s version of the Horsemen. That could still be Sami, he just needs to tone down the Indy BS 100 finishers a match, and clean up his look.

Sami will most likely never return to WWE and the Indy BS 100 finishers a match is pretty much modern WWE, too.

It's crazy how WWE adapted the indy in ring style as much as it has specially in recent times.

Take Halftime Heat for example. That was a Dragon Gate showcase match without Blood Generation and Dragon Kid's high speed ranas and with WWE contracted wrestlers in a WWE ring.

Or the NXT TakeOver matches. They are basically EVOLVE title matches in front of a much bigger audience in a WWE ring.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

Too early to talk Wrestlemania entrances?

I think I need MGK live playing Bad Reputation for Ronda, some Kid Rock version of Bohemian Rhapsody for Charlotte, and Flo Rida playing Shipping up to Boston / Becky’s theme for Becky.

I want big entrances.

Let's dial down those expectations, pal.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Listening to MGK, Kid Rock and Flo Rida within the same 30 minute timespan would cause my head to explode even more so than that goof Shane McMahon winning a title did.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Craig H said:

My dream big entrance for a long while recently was Mastodon playing out Strowman for a main event title shot.

:(

I wanted that and Primus playing Sanity out for a WM tag title win.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wonder if WWE will get rid of Hayes next.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's still there? I bet it's one of those Lanny Poffo in WCW situations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He does match producing and other stuff like most agents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...