DVDVR Message Board

2019 Ring Of Honor Thread

Peck

If Eli Isom ends up facing Jeff Cobb, it shouldn't be anything less than a total squash. I'm hoping for Cobb vs. Silas. I share the belief of @caley about Isom being bland and undeveloped.

I enjoyed Silas vs. BCB. Bruiser came across as a very sympathetic babyface in this match. 

• Like 1

On 1/18/2019 at 8:43 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It was forgettable, as was a lot of the Adam Pearce era. 

Who could forget that great time when Colt Cabana came back to the company after the Scotty Goldman disaster to an incredible reaction in New York only to be pinned clean by D Lo Brown at a WM weekend show about a month or so later.     

I know I am probably the 100th person to say this but why call a group LifeBlood when the total amount of experience of all 5 or 6 people in ROH is about 1 year?  And 80% of that is Tennile Dashwood who has been hurt for the last 6 months?   But hey more Juice Robinson is good for me.   

• Like 1

I don't mind Lifeblood not having a lot of ROH service time. They've watched from the outside as honor has disappeared from Ring of Honor, and they want to bring it back. The guys that built the company aren't around to restore honor, so these guys want to pick up that torch. I don't see a problem with it.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don't mind Lifeblood not having a lot of ROH service time. They've watched from the outside as honor has disappeared from Ring of Honor, and they want to bring it back. The guys that built the company aren't around to restore honor, so these guys want to pick up that torch. I don't see a problem with it.

Shit, when you put it that way that makes a ton of sense.  I haven't seen them on TV yet but if they convey even a fraction of that in their promos then I'll be on board with what they're doing.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Shit, when you put it that way that makes a ton of sense.  I haven't seen them on TV yet but if they convey even a fraction of that in their promos then I'll be on board with what they're doing.

Spoiler

Spoilered for those that want to wait to see it on tv

• Thanks 1

Why do they insist on running large arenas? They do this all the time. They drew 6,000 to a show Wrestlemania Weekend cuz Cody and Kenny built to it for a year on a YouTube series. There's nothing wrong with drawing 1,000-2,000 people, go for those venues. 

• Like 3

We probably won't ever know how much The Elite were making exactly and how much freedom they had. But probably if they were still around someone like Tracy would be in opening matches. And if he is in opening matches they'd probably pay him way less than he is getting now. And well add those two things together and it probably doesn't even make sense for Tracy to sign up with RoH.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

Why do they insist on running large arenas? They do this all the time. They drew 6,000 to a show Wrestlemania Weekend cuz Cody and Kenny built to it for a year on a YouTube series. There's nothing wrong with drawing 1,000-2,000 people, go for those venues. 

They did it in the Gabe days. Nothing wrong with it at all.

22 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

I know of the Asbury Park show where they ran in ECW's old building and the Cow Palace show. I'm sure there's other instances but those two are the two of bad booking lore.

The venue change from RexPlex to the Asbury Park Convention Center hurt Best of the American Super Juniors. Asbury hadn't been revived yet, like it is today. Then, the whole issue of New Japan strong-arming Gabe with fucking Dragon Soldier B, of all people. 

Yeah, Chaos at the Cow Palace was a bad idea. It's depressing how empty it looks on the dvd.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

They did it in the Gabe days. Nothing wrong with it at all.

Gabe was running his own company on most his and Cary Silkin's money. There was no national plans.  The only TV they ever had during Gabe was that local thing that bombed badly.   I am not sure if he was even involved in the HD Net deal when they had to upgrade their product drastically.  Now you have Sinclair pumping in money putting their TV on 10 to 20 markets and small building don't look good to them.   

It is very "too big to be small and too small to be big" right now 

35 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Gabe was running his own company on most his and Cary Silkin's money. There was no national plans.  The only TV they ever had during Gabe was that local thing that bombed badly.   I am not sure if he was even involved in the HD Net deal when they had to upgrade their product drastically.  Now you have Sinclair pumping in money putting their TV on 10 to 20 markets and small building don't look good to them.   

It is very "too big to be small and too small to be big" right now 

Yo if they wanna run arenas they gotta start promoting locally like actually spend money on letting people know they are coming to their town. I was at Death Before Dishonor at the Orleans Arena where there were 1900 people in a 9000 seat arena. They got the hardcore fans but they had the hardcore fans. They should have spent some money got on a couple billboards, ran ads during Raw and Smackdown locally etc.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Anyone watch the Dallas show? Is it worth my time?

It was fine.  No bad matches, nothing amazing.  Highlight was probably PCO taking his usual death bumps, which are still great despite being expected.  I'd say watch the opener and the last 3 matches if you want an abbreviated version.

There were a couple matches that I expected to be glorified squashes, but they went out of their way to make everyone look at least somewhat good, even the LA Dojo guys.

11 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I have zero idea if it's a work or not, but Bandido either injured his knee or ROH is selling he did.

This is not something they need right now, and sucks for him if it's real as well.

Pretty sure it was a work.  He had a ~20 minute match with Silas Young where Silas targeted his lower back, then Silas kicked him in the knee during a post-match handshake and Bandido had to be helped out of the ring.  He's still on the Houston and San Antonio shows afaik.

• Like 1

They need to pick up the pace on a national tv market in order to better fill in these bigger venues. I love ROH but I’m afraid AEW is going to pick up steam and ROH will continue to be an afterthought. Seems like the connection with NJPW is the only thing keeping them relevant. I hope they’re able really take off after the garden show.

• Like 1