DVDVR Message Board

2019 Ring Of Honor Thread

Peck

With the AEW news - I seriously debated even doing a ROH thread and instead just putting it with US Indies but since I have been willing to let TNA have its own thread for far too long, ROH can survive for another year

Sinclair isn't going to be pulling the plug or trying to sell ROH anytime soon. If anything, the Elite not being around will force Delirious to do something other than relying on them and New Japan stars. I really like the additions of PCO, Brody, Bandido, and Mark Haskins. This reminds me of the early days when Gabe would use big names from Japan or legends to draw a crowd, but having the regulars that kept fans coming back once the special attraction was gone.

But they are relying on New Japan stars. Zack was on Final Battle and next tapings, would be weird if that goes nowhere. Juice started appearing last year and cut a promo on last tapings about spending more time in RoH and bringing back honor. On 13th of January Finlay was announced, might have more people from NJPW who won't be booked for Sapporo/Osaka shows and will be on New Beginning USA shows.

I think Dave also wrote earlier that RoH wants to use Zack/Juice to fill out their roster?

It's going to be interesting to see what happens. SCU are heavily featured in the AEW stuff, so does that mean they're done with ROH? I would think a working arrangement between New Japan, ROH, and AEW would be the best for everybody, but would that be possible?

Yes, they're done from all accounts. I doubt Kazarian does the National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation rant with Honor Club replacing jelly of the month club if they were sticking around. They're also still heavily involved with BTE and got the countdown clocks too, whereas all the other Roh talent is no longer featured. 

2 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Yes, they're done from all accounts. I doubt Kazarian does the National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation rant with Honor Club replacing jelly of the month club if they were sticking around. They're also still heavily involved with BTE and got the countdown clocks too, whereas all the other Roh talent is no longer featured. 

Naturally, SCU is done after ROH does an angle with them trying to earn new contracts and Christopher Daniels trying to prove that he's a changed man and taking a bullet for Cary at Final Battle.

That was actually a really fun ep of tv this week.  I’m sure it won’t be good for ticket sales/ratings/merch but the departure of the Elite might be the best thing creatively for ROH.  

-Taven tipping into the guys in the 4-way was really good (the Sabin and Scurll insults were particularly good). 

-Luchasaurus/Cobb was solid.  Luchasaurus needs to dial back a little on the acrobatics, I think, they look better when it’s 1-2 a match, but I thought he looked pretty solid here.  He could be a fun heater for a smallish heel.  

-Enjoyed the Daniels retirement/attack.  I like Shane Taylor. 

-Main event was solid.  

The show felt interesting and fresh which I haven’t been able to say in a while. 

• Like 2

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 2:09 PM, Web Conn said:

I find it amusing that RoH is "partnering" with the NWA. 

The only thing that NWA has to offer is the Crockett name and the licensing since Corgan's outfit doesn't have a tag division.

8 hours ago, alstein said:

I'm kinda hoping NJPW sends over Owens/Yujiro for the Crockett Cup.

If they send BC, we'll probably get the GoD or Eagles / Ishimori. 

If they send Owens / Yujiro, I know I will get caught gawking at Pieter the wrong way and Bad Luck Fale will beath the shit out of me as if I were a referee.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Archibald said:

I think Ishimori is too big for this stuff. And if Yujiro is coming then he'll find some local girls like he did in UK instead of bringing Pieter.

I've slummed it around Concord in my day. 

Yujiro had better expand "local" to include Charlotte and Raleigh-Durham when he does his valet search.

And yup, Pieter is Fale's significant other so she won't be there if he is not in close proximity.

17 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I've slummed it around Concord in my day. 

Yujiro had better expand "local" to include Charlotte and Raleigh-Durham when he does his valet search.

And yup, Pieter is Fale's significant other so she won't be there if he is not in close proximity.

Very, very smart move on their part.  And this is the first reading about them together which is pretty awesome.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, caley said:

Daniels last week said SCU were at home recuperating from injuries so I guess - kayfabe-wise - they’re going to be at home for a loooong time.  

They announced Frankie and Scorpio against the Briscoes for the show coming up this weekend.

6 hours ago, Hail Sabin said:

This week's ROH TV show is pretty good.

Tracy Williams vs. Zack Sabre Jr in a mat wrestling clinic, Thunder Rosa/Holidead vs. Britt Baker/Madison Rayne in a rematch from DEC TV, Briscoes defend against Kaz/Sky and Scurll's stable debuts. 

This will wash the taste of Raw out my mouth nicely. I've watched the Villain Enterptises debut about a dozen times already.

• Like 1

According to spoilers new faction was formed on last tapings:

Spoiler

Lifeblood. Face faction and members are: Juice, Finlay, Haskins, Bandido, Tracy Williams and Tenille. And Juice is the leader.

Now, I have seen mixed responses about it. Some think it looks good, some think it looks corny (how can faction lead by Juice not look corny?) and some think that Bandido shouldn't be there and various other takes with some obvious snark from AEW fanboys. What is interesting to me is that Juice is NJPW guy and he is building a faction in RoH. This to me gives couple of thoughts:

1. I know that RoH has weird booking, to say the least, but starting a faction that might end up dead post-MSG show sounds stupid even by RoH's standards. So to me it looks like a hint that NJPW/RoH relationship isn't ending post-MSG.
2. Logically speaking most of them will or should be booked for Honor Rising tour in Japan. So naturally they will likely appear as a faction on those shows. So does that mean that this faction will become a thing in NJPW as well? Juice and Finlay are regulars and people really, really want Bandido in BotSJ. So might this become new version of The Elite? In a sense that couple of guys are regulars and others come over for big (or special) shows? And does that mean that some other regular NJPW guys join up?
3. Is this going to be a thing for New Beginning USA shows?
4. Tenille can easily appear on NJPW shows in non-wrestling role and then do some Stardom stuff since it looks like RoH/Stardom relationship isn't ending either.

All in all I think they'll face an uphill battle since comparisons with Bullet Club/The Elite are obvious, but this is interesting development.