DVDVR Message Board

2019 Ring Of Honor Thread

Peck

Just now, Brian Fowler said:

PCO just might be a bit over.

He's a little over. I'm so happy for him having a career renaissance, making the most money of his career at 50. At least, it was reported his ROH contract is the most he's made. It's like retribution for being fucked over the by the kliq. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Anything worthwhile on this show? I'm still slogging through day one of Fantasticamania.

There was a lot of "pretty good" but nothing I'd call must see except maybe the Villain Enterprises six man, depending on how much you like wild multiman brawls and PCO being insane.

31 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

Zack Sabre Jr can't sell for shit. All he does is grab his collarbone and look mildly uncomfortable. So bad.

Still it was better than the ref bump in the Briscoes-SCU match leading to both Sky and Kazarian hit with chairs, only for Kaz to almost immediately go into a comeback and Sky run across the ring and do his -admittedly awesome- leap to the top for a huracanrana spot.  Why even have a ref bump with chair shots if it's not going to be an opportunity for the heels to take over on offence?  The chairs were completely pointless, they didn't build heat, didn't play into the storyline, they were just needless.

• Like 1

The teams announced for Tag Wars - Winner gets ROH Tag Title shot and gets a spot in the Crockett Cup

Here's the list of teams for Tag Wars:

ROH World Champion Jay Lethal & Jonathan Gresham
Villain Enterprises (PCO & Brody King)
Juice Robinson & David Finlay
The Kingdom (TK O'Ryan & Vinny Marseglia)
Colt Cabana & Flip Gordon (if Gordon is able to wrestle after suffering a knee injury at Honor Reigns Supreme this Sunday)
Coast 2 Coast (LSG & Shaheem Ali)
Mark Haskins & Tracy Williams
The Bouncers (Beer City Bruiser & Brian Milonas)
Kenny King & a partner of his choosing
Cheeseburger & Eli Isom
The Boys
Karl Fredericks & Alex Coughlin (members of New Japan Pro Wrestling's California dojo)

Gordon is supposedly out 4 weeks so I don't think he will be in this.

This is one weird train of events:

RoH has partnership with CMLL but rarely books CMLL guys on their shows -> MLW starts booking Rush and Dragon Lee -> RoH complains to CMLL about it (if I'm not mistaken) -> Rush doesn't give a shit and they set up La Park/Rush match -> Rush signed to exclusive for RoH and pulled from MLW.

Now, if CMLL wasn't ran by weird (to say the least) people I'd say that this was by design to get their guys RoH contracts. You know, if you don't book our guys then we'll find who'll book them type situation. Sure, they likely won't sign anyone else to exclusive, but it is natural to assume that Rush's family members (Dragon Lee and Mistico) and friends will start getting RoH dates as well.

Would Rush vs Lethal G1 Supercard draw interest? I'm seriously asking but I know very little about Lucha I know Rush is big star but I know little to nothing about him. I'm curious if him as Champion would push the needle and keep eyes on ROH while AEW does there thing.

5 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

Would Rush vs Lethal G1 Supercard draw interest? I'm seriously asking but I know very little about Lucha I know Rush is big star but I know little to nothing about him. I'm curious if him as Champion would push the needle and keep eyes on ROH while AEW does there thing.

I doubt that they are going to immediately move to that. In earlier tapings he faced someone from The Kingdom so I'd guess that at first he'll be placed against Taven. Which might sound lame, but makes some sense considering that Taven has worked CMLL.

• Like 1

Los Ingobernables versus The Kingdom, anywhere from 2v2 on up. Naito and Rush can spend half the blocked time taking off their masks and posing, fake a couple dives, punch an announcer, and everyone there will love it. (And so would I, to be clear.)

9 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The teams announced for Tag Wars - Winner gets ROH Tag Title shot and gets a spot in the Crockett Cup

Gordon is supposedly out 4 weeks so I don't think he will be in this.

I'm calling it. Kenny King's mystery partner will be Austin Aries. If not Aries, my second pick is King and Rhett Titus reforming the All Night Express.

If Flip is out, I'll say Delirious fills in to team with Cabana to put somebody over in the first round.

I feel like Sinclair bought ROH solely for cheap programming and they were as caught off guard by it's rapid growth and maybe successes the last few years as anyone. So they went hard after getting the MSG show, lawyering up and all and are dropping cash now to grow the business.

I think ROH right now is in a position where they absolutely have to deliver some great shows and television. I've got like two months left on my Honor Club sub, and I'm gonna need either great shows, them uploading a hell of a lot more of thr back catalog, or preferably both to get me to re-up in March.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I feel like Sinclair bought ROH solely for cheap programming and they were as caught off guard by it's rapid growth and maybe successes the last few years as anyone. So they went hard after getting the MSG show, lawyering up and all and are dropping cash now to grow the business.

I think ROH right now is in a position where they absolutely have to deliver some great shows and television. I've got like two months left on my Honor Club sub, and I'm gonna need either great shows, them uploading a hell of a lot more of thr back catalog, or preferably both to get me to re-up in March.

I'm in the same position and Rush is the only thing that has me even entertaining the idea of keeping it.