DVDVR Message Board

2019 INDIE WRESTLING THREAD

21 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Lance Anoa'i is on MLW so I defer to @J.T. judgement

18 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Lance Anoa'i isn't bad. He still seems a little green. I would have liked to see Tonga Kid/Tama's son Jacob Fatu in this. Like Lance Anoa'i, Fatu also works MLW. He's further along on his development than Lance despite being less experienced. Jacob Fatu is really, really good.

What Eddie said.  Lance had a pretty good match with Rich Swann in the ep of Fusion with the Aerostar / Rey Horus main event.

Lance being okay in that match was more about Rich Swann establishing the heel psychology and leading Lance by the nose through his spots rather than Lance being good on his own.  

Lance's selling in that match is a tad spotty but when you're working David / Goliath, the big guy doesn't really need to sell the little guy's moves like total death. 

The only thing that bugged me about Lance's work is that he does quite a few indy flippy spots that you do not expect to see from a big Samoan and they feel somewhat out of place.

Normally I would chalk that up to me being old and needlessly traditional but as someone mentioned earlier, Jacob Fatu works a very traditional Samoan style and is fucking great.

I am secretly praying that Lance and Jacob turn heel and form a new SST or a Samoan Gangsta Party, but that probably won't happen because it's too much like right and MLW is very heel heavy as it is.

• Like 1

Following directions to use the indie thread now that the AEW thread is closed:

Saw this while dicking around at work. Not sure if the rumors of AEW on TBS have died down, but this can't be helpful:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/deadline.com/2019/02/turner-boss-david-levy-plans-exit-as-part-of-warnermedia-reorganization-ending-tenure-marked-by-sports-wins-1202567532/amp/

I would pay a daily fee to see Cornette try to explain a match to LA Park 

Meanwhile I am watching the GCW show in Los Angeles and they are actually playing "Leave the memories alone" and an invisible video and a 10 bell salute to the Invisible Man who "passed away".   Will give them credit for going all in and shockingly the fans as well.  

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Archibald said:

Who is worse than Striker?

That WOW guy, apparently. Also, Alex Shane is about on the same level as Matt Striker. He has that thing where he thinks if he tells a joke and it's not funny, if you keep telling it over and over again, it will magically become hilarious.

WLW (Harley Race's fed) announced that Tommaso Ciampa will not be able to appear next week at their Night of Champions event

(Not said but it is clear it is due to Ciampa's injury)

Clearly as a make good - the WWE is sending Adam Cole in his place

1 minute ago, clintthecrippler said:

I am 100% convinced that Jim Cornette took this gig because even just a few shows with MLW and that locker room will provide him six months of angry podcast material.

sounds about right

54 minutes ago, clintthecrippler said:

I am 100% convinced that Jim Cornette took this gig because even just a few shows with MLW and that locker room will provide him six months of angry podcast material.

Hes been doing well enough with that doing WWE TV reviews. 

I didn't watch the show but did catch the ending with the Lawlor beatdown.  I assume that was Jacob Fatu with the incredible Superfly splash off the top of the cage.  it was made more awesome because the top of the cage couldn't have more than 10 feet from the lights in the building.  Anyway this had to have been a last minute decision because he had no idea who anybody was except Lawlor and maybe Simon Grimm calling him "that Samoan guy"

Guest Edwin

Anyone seen that House of Glory invasion in CZW yesterday? They are saying it was a shoot invasion, but it seemed work. Any details?

11 hours ago, hammerva said:

I didn't watch the show but did catch the ending with the Lawlor beatdown.  I assume that was Jacob Fatu with the incredible Superfly splash off the top of the cage.  it was made more awesome because the top of the cage couldn't have more than 10 feet from the lights in the building.  Anyway this had to have been a last minute decision because he had no idea who anybody was except Lawlor and maybe Simon Grimm calling him "that Samoan guy"

Yes, the Samoan was Jacob Fatu. His partner is Josef Samael. Their group with Simon Gotch is called Contra.

I'll be watching the replay after Seinfeld.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2

Guest Edwin
11 minutes ago, alstein said:

In a move that surprises very few, Michael Nakazawa was signed by AEW.  (Good friends with Kenny)

Uh, huh?

That's kind of surprising as he's very close to Ibushi and actually travels everywhere with him.

His in ring is pretty average. His run with Matsunaga as the Nuru Nuru Brothers was interesting, but I'm not sure how that will translate over.

I think the most I've enjoyed of him was his NJPW x CEO match where he worked as a heel and actually got a reaction and that wasn't that great...

1 hour ago, Edwin said:

Uh, huh?

That's kind of surprising as he's very close to Ibushi and actually travels everywhere with him.

His in ring is pretty average. His run with Matsunaga as the Nuru Nuru Brothers was interesting, but I'm not sure how that will translate over.

I think the most I've enjoyed of him was his NJPW x CEO match where he worked as a heel and actually got a reaction and that wasn't that great...

He's also very close to Kenny, and I saw those matches myself- one was vs a local jobber, and the other was against a video game promoter with a torn Achilles- you're not going to look great under those circumstances, and he's a 44-yr old mediocre wrestler to begin with.  His main role I think will be translator and perhaps backstage.

Edited by alstein

19 hours ago, Edwin said:

Anyone seen that House of Glory invasion in CZW yesterday? They are saying it was a shoot invasion, but it seemed work. Any details?

Whose they?

I mean if that's a shoot they should all be ashamed because that is some shitty ass punches