DVDVR Message Board

NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 13 in Tokyo Dome 1/4/19

Raziel

4 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Okay, I actually watched it and... It harkens back to what Chris Charlton has been talking about for a while now and again on the latest episode of his Eggshells podcast: the match will be based around who is going to be more cruel/merciless. Tanahashi has said Omega is cruel in the way he fights. Chris and Joe Lanza brought up Tanahashi mocking Okada after defeating him in 2015 as Okada cried his way to the back. Or how Tanahashi attacked the leg without mercy to the point where he didn't want Okada to stand. Tanahashi has shown to be every bit as ruthless as Omega in many ways over the years. Plus, jerk face Tanahashi playing the heel may be my favourite incarnation of his.

While the video is tremendous, I can certainly understand why NJPW didn't want it airing before the main event of their biggest show in perhaps ~twenty years. Kenny is going to Kenny.

Tanahashi maybe leaning heel (not that the crowd will care) a tiny bit would be a twist on the structure I didn't see coming, but really, really compelling. "Now that he's not at his best, how far is he willing to go to deny that fundamental truth?" That sort of thing. And Kenny asking "If I'm such a bad guy, why do I actually have friends?" is both obvious and subtle in the classic "Hogan's really the heel--look, he's such a selfish loner" mold. Which Tana has always been happy to embrace! He's always been the hero of every story, but open about the fact that he revels in the adulation heroism brings--indeed, he pursues it--and that New Japan benefiting is a goal, but not the goal. It's always been worth asking if he thinks New Japan should be "saved", if he isn't the one saving it.

But yeah... it's a long video. Too long to show before a match. I suspect that narrative, combined with "dragon screw versus v-trigger", will be clear enough, however. (And New Japan's social media has posted/retweeted it, so it's not as if the company has rejected the content or anything like that.)

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Beech27 said:

Tanahashi maybe leaning heel (not that the crowd will care) a tiny bit would be a twist on the structure I didn't see coming, but really, really compelling. "Now that he's not at his best, how far is he willing to go to deny that fundamental truth?" That sort of thing. And Kenny asking "If I'm such a bad guy, why do I actually have friends?" is both obvious and subtle in the classic "Hogan's really the heel--look, he's such a selfish loner" mold. Which Tana has always been happy to embrace! He's always been the hero of every story, but open about the fact that he revels in the adulation heroism brings--indeed, he pursues it--and that New Japan benefiting is a goal, but not the goal. It's always been worth asking if he thinks New Japan should be "saved", if he isn't the one saving it.

In his Tokyo Sports MVP video, if I'm not mistaken, he talked about how he his outside the ring work played into him getting this award. And he said how after one of his early main event wins he said to the crowd that he'll become famous. Basically his point was that you need famous people to make wrestling more popular.

On 1/1/2019 at 2:00 AM, Archibald said:

In his Tokyo Sports MVP video, if I'm not mistaken, he talked about how he his outside the ring work played into him getting this award. And he said how after one of his early main event wins he said to the crowd that he'll become famous. Basically his point was that you need famous people to make wrestling more popular.

Yeah, Tanahashi has always... well, in kayfabe and not, I think he believes this. And I'm certain he believes he's still the right guy to fill this role. That's part of what has always worked for him--he has this inviolable belief in his own greatness, and projects it with such force that you can't help but agree. Kenny, on the other hand--though he calls himself a wrestling god--is far, far more human. He's thin-skinned, petty, and obviously--openly!--insecure. I really liked Charlton's line about how their fundamental differences aren't really about ring-work, but bigger: It's theocracy versus meritocracy. Somewhat despite the explicit narrative, this subtext really fascinates me. It's also an interesting reminder that heroism and concepts thereof aren't static across time or space: Beowulf is, by our modern standards, a selfish, self-aggrandizing jerk, as an example of the former; I think this feud as an example of the latter. Kenny, during his NYE promo, tells the gathered masses that, despite appearances, he's just like them. He's a fallible man who relies on human connections; Tanahashi is a god--though perhaps one of the ancient, killable kind--with nameless, faceless followers. If they worship well and his power grows, then he can increase their prosperity also. It's a mutually beneficial relationship, but no one would ever suggest an equality between parties. Kenny tried to make this argument about himself, but couldn't overcome Okada until he embraced his frailty.

Of course, any binary I'm suggesting here is a false one--and that too is what makes this interesting. Every villain stands before the hero argues and that "We're not so different, you and I"; but neither man in this match is willing to don that black hat, and so they reject any similarities they may have, and instead come to embrace and embody their differences.

• Like 4

What the fuck was with Omega's promo at the preview show tonight? Full on silver hair like the cleaner days, over the top heel antics, threatening to strangle Tanahashi after he beats him (in comedic style). Very strange, even for Kenny.

Also got a kick out of Jyuuuusu threatening to punch Brandi if she got involved and then everybody reacted badly and he retracted. He wasn't serious but still not good for the white meat babyface in this century and I love me some Juice. Maybe his '80s tribute act is too real sometimes hah.

edit: okay, Jericho/Naito interaction was again everything I would want and more. Those two are magnificent together and I really appreciate Jericho leaning into being the polar opposite of tranquil. Stabbed a Stupid Son Of A Bitch (every time he says that an angel gets its wings!) with a pen! One of my favourite cliched contract signings -> attacks since Batista/HHH. 

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

What the fuck was with Omega's promo at the preview show tonight? Full on silver hair like the cleaner days, over the top heel antics, threatening to strangle Tanahashi after he beats him (in comedic style). Very strange, even for Kenny.

Watched it too and I'm somewhat amazed how he manages to reach new heights as far as doing weird promos goes. And sure, some people like it, but I'm just really done with it. In this or another thread (don't remember now, too lazy to check) I posted translations from his Rolling Stones interview and he talked like normal human being there and made some good points that could have been used to make this feud better. Then few days later NJPW released an interview with him on their English site that was pure drivel. Then Kenny's Quest video, now this. I don't understand what he is going here for and I'm not sure if he understands that either.

I still somewhat like the idea of Omega/Tanahashi feud and if the match will deliver then likely I'll be okay with whole thing, but it feels like I'm the one here thinking about weird shit and trying to sort everything out so that it would make some sense, while Omega is just throwing out random shit. Kinda like how towards the end of Okada's reign we were trying to rationalize why Sanada/Zack might beat Okada when NJPW itself gave zero material for that.

It is really crazy, back in 2017 I was thinking that maybe they should have gone with Omega as the champ instead of doing the draw at Dominion. Now I'm like, if he goes to AEW (or WWE) I won't miss. Sure, I'd love to get more GL tag matches, but if thats not in the cards then no Kenny might be better than this Kenny. I just hope that Ibushi stays.

Yeah, Kenny made my whole "neither guy is willing to play the heel" thing kinda dumb. Seems he is willing to contradict his own character trajectory/growth and go full anime villain again. Are we supposed to assume the title has gone to his head? That Tana’s made him that angry? There were hints of his post-G1 win promo (you've already rejected me so don't dare cheer me now!) and Tana also promised some hate (and no air guitar!?) but none of those angles felt clear, so... I’m not sure, and he didn’t really provide much to work with. It kinda feels like he’s telegraphing a loss and being petty about it. Like, "office told me I'm the bad guy/they've sided with Tana, so I'll give them a heel." I’m going to choose to believe that’s not it, of course.

Naito/Jericho is a No-DQ match now according to NJPW English FB page. I'm ok with this as it should help Jericho hide the fact that he can't keep up with Naito athletically as was on display in their first match.

The Omega/Tana stuff is....idk. Right now I'm just looking forward to the match cause it should be good no matter the context but they have not done much to get me excited about it outside of it's gonna be good. Perhaps things will be clearer once they are in the ring and telling the story there.

The card has me excited and I'm strongly trying to decide if I want to watch it live or just avoid spoilers and watch it in the afternoon. Trying to figure out if I could start watching something at 2am and make it though a full work day.

Also I like that Cody is possibly/probably book-ending his time in NJPW with Juice, it would lend a nice sense of closure if he leaves putting over the guy that was charged with getting/putting him over two years ago. 

Tanahashi-Omega feud is one where I like to mentally fill in the blanks as Beech27 has done above using what I think about them, mainly because of Kenny's propensity to overplay his hand. Maybe Tanahashi does this too but I can't understand him.

I watched the Jan 3 stuff just now
- LIGERTIGER v Uemura/Narita was MOTN, lot of fun and they had the crowd going. Weirdly I think I like Tiger Mask now?
- Honma/Henare v Nagata/Nakanishi was fun but not exactly good. I feel sad with Honma in the ring and Nagata was whiffing his shots to him.
- Tenkoji v Yoshida/El Hijo del Zapatos Rojo was totally decent as well, great to see Kojima having fun in there again.

Skipped through the promos as as said above Naito-Jericho was best, though Shingo is a great talker. Holds the crowd well.

The Tana/Omega VTR really played up the way tables and ladders have been involved in Kenny’s matches, so I would expect that to come into play in the main event.  Between that and Naito/Jericho being No DQ now, the last hour of the show could get pretty garbage-y.

If we look back, before Tanahashi got injured and was replaced by Elgin, there was supposed to be ladders match between them. And obviously Tanahashi would have won that match, basically beating Kenny at his own game. So in that sense Tanahashi doing HFF on Omega thru the table to end the match (or something similar) would be appropriate.

I dunno, maybe the idea that neither Tanahashi or Omega were willing to be a villain in a match that's based around who will be the cruelest has brought out the worst in both of these stars is the idea they are going for but it seems like a big misstep the night before the biggest match in a very long time for NJPW. Charlton had a translation saying of Tanahashi's comments and they were very aggressive and there was no mugging for the cameras. Look, I'm a Kenny mark and I think he's pretty easily the Flair/Thesz MVP of 2018 even while his title reign hasn't lived up to expectations or Okada's legendary run, he's still the man right now and in a vacuum it's been pretty good. But I think he's got a lot of work to do in figuring out who he is as a character because we shouldn't be left trying to figure this shit out in the 11th hour of the biggest match of his career. And it's not the case of subtlety/inscrutability, it's the case of inconsistency in a story. I applaud them for trying to do something nuanced and different like this but there are definitely some wrinkles to iron out. What I wish for is for Kenny to be more himself in promos and in the ring and less the larger than life goofball. I'd reckon I'm not alone in that desire and I hope whatever the outcome here, that's the 'lesson' his persona learns from this match. He has the capability to connect as a human being to his fanbase in a real way (different than Tanahashi) as he's suggested the past two promos but this isn't how. In fact it's the complete opposite. I adore the promos where Kenny leaves all the airs of the cleaner or best bout machine behind and just talks as himself. I don't know if it's kayfabe or reality that's stopping him from doing it but either way it's not a good mystery. And even if he likes the shades of grey characters over Tanahashi's projection of a simplistic, traditional Superman babyface (which deep down shows as much narcissism as Kenny's character but on the DL), Beech correctly pointed out his flaws IRL that would still keep him firmly grey if he played more to his real self and not this over the top nonsense. Kenny's quest went a long way to showing this but I guess it was his voice there at the end saying there'd be no mercy and this is the outcome. Sweet. *Rock-sized eyeroll*

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EVA said:

The Tana/Omega VTR really played up the way tables and ladders have been involved in Kenny’s matches, so I would expect that to come into play in the main event.  Between that and Naito/Jericho being No DQ now, the last hour of the show could get pretty garbage-y.

Okada/White with the heated feud could also be a big brawl. I imagine if there isn’t plunder, there will be lots of interference and cheating. The 3 headlining matches could all be filled with that kind of fare.

Btw, has anybody been trying to throw off their circadian rhythm so they can stay up for this show? I started with the NYE Japanese MMA show and now I'm going to sleep at like 4 AM. I feel like absolute dog shit and I just went back over my last post and lol'd at the poor spelling. My brain is fried eggs like it's the '80s and I'm on drugs. 

What I suffer for my passions! 

Image result for overdramatic

• Like 1