DVDVR Message Board

NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 13 in Tokyo Dome 1/4/19

Raziel

The show I believe starts at around 3am here and while I applaud folks like Oyaji for watching it live I'll likely be catching it later on.  I'm hoping the show will be immediately available on demand as I can watch it during a rather slow work day.  I hate that I'm behind on NJPW as I stopped during the last few shows of the G1 (still need to watch that at some point)  So past that I'm going in mostly blind to everything though reading the thread has been a huge help.

I was fully on board with Beech's take on Omega/Tanahashi until that got blown to hell soon after.  Even though I haven't caught up with NJ for a bit I know in past times I would hear about Okada and his epic matches and I didn't get that as much with Omega.  I'm a big fan of the guy for many reasons but it sounds like it's time for him to drop it to Tanahashi.  I did get around to seeing GL vs. Tana/Osprey and holy fuck that was an outstanding match.  I'm on board with the idea of GL being more of a team and that cinematic-like moment with Kota and Osprey was absolutely epic.

And while I'm a big YB fan I don't blame anybody that is annoyed that they're in the tag title match.  It almost negates the WTL if they could just waltz into the match.  But if they lose (I'm certain they will) then hopefully that griping will be all for nothing.

I’m less annoyed by the Bucks being in the tag title match now that we know this is their swan song for the time being.  Makes sense to have them do a high profile job on their way out.  Hopefully LIJ get a win back on them.

Rumors flying around Wrestling Twitter about WWE driving the Brinks truck up to Winnipeg and offering an outrageous sum of money that Omega would be a damn fool to turn down for Kenny's services starting 1 Feb 2019.  Update your prediction sheets accordingly.

• Sad 1

I would never hold it against him but I would fucking hate having my favourite guy in a company I don't watch and joining the Evil Empire at a time when things are getting so interesting both in NJPW and AEW. :(

It absolutely makes sense from WWE's perspective though. He's the key figure in all of this. Take that away and it really, really hurts New Japan's expansion push and hurts AEW's initial impact.

I'll most likely be watching this Friday night. I don't feel like starting a long wrestling show around 3 am.

As for Omega, you can't fault him if he does take Vince's money, but I'd prefer if he didn't. WWE has so much talent signed they don't do anything with. That wouldn't be the case with Kenny, but I just have so little faith in WWE creative. WWE Kenny Omega would probably feel like a lot like Balor or Nakamura. They're over, but the shine is gone. They're just cogs in the wheel. I'd much rather see Kenny as the man in AEW and one of the major players in New Japan's US expansion. More wrestling options = better for all of us.

• Like 2

Well, it'll be interesting to see how that influences the talks between ROH/NJPW/AEW tomorrow. Do they realize if they don't work together that Omega is gone and future free agents will likely face a similar fate? This is fascinating but I'm heck of concerned about Omega to WWE. 

5 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Well, it'll be interesting to see how that influences the talks between ROH/NJPW/AEW tomorrow. Do they realize if they don't work together that Omega is gone and future free agents will likely face a similar fate? This is fascinating but I'm heck of concerned about Omega to WWE. 

I mean, how would HHH even begin to explain Omega to Vince? I don't think there's anything about his personality Vince would understand.

I bet he’s making a mil at least, but wwe has all this new guaranteed tv money and they’re determined to stop competition. I’m sure he’d be willing to take a fair amount less to stay where he’s happy, but if he does the David west thing (opting out of a 10 mil deal to take 1 mil for a better team) he’d be a damn fool. No I’m not saying the wwe offer is 10, but the point stands. It could happen. I wouldn’t be *shocked*

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, matt925 said:

I bet he’s making a mil at least, but wwe has all this new guaranteed tv money and they’re determined to stop competition. I’m sure he’d be willing to take a fair amount less to stay where he’s happy, but if he does the David west thing (opting out of a 10 mil deal to take 1 mil for a better team) he’d be a damn fool. No I’m not saying the wwe offer is 10, but the point stands. It could happen. I wouldn’t be *shocked*

The thing is WWE aren't going to offer him that much. Not sure even Brock made that much and his was a bigger get for them when they brought him back 6 years ago.

2 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Paranoia is an essential element of the fan experience for some people. Keeps things spicy. 

This and rampant speculation on what big names will jump from WWE. I suppose it makes sense, but unless the rumors for something are strong I'm just not big on panicking or fantasy booking with such weak possibilities.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I mean, how would HHH even begin to explain Omega to Vince? I don't think there's anything about his personality Vince would understand.

I don't know, on this very board we sometimes struggle to understand what exactly Kenny is doing so Vince not getting him wouldn't be that strange. I wouldn't be surprised even if HHH doesn't get him either.

I mean, I'm pretty sure Tanahashi is going over to set up MSG regardless of Kenny's contract status.  As for why I'm entertaining Kenny jumping this time as opposed to the last 2 years:

Yeah, if WWE is really offering $3.5M plus the promotion machine for his side projects ala Woods and UUDD, plus WWE's standard merch contract, that blows anything Bushiroad or Khan would throw at him out of the water, even doing his own merch on PWTees.  so yeah, this time, if the number isn't bullshit, there's actual consideration of money over art.