DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2013-14: OFFSEASON THREAD

Dolfan in NYC

Balfour's deal with the Orioles is off because they think his shoulder is fucked.

God no one reads my posts anymore :-(

He probably put you on Ignore after the Bombers signed Ellsbury.  

Oh it amuses me so how much the Os are getting killed for backing away from the deal.

Including Ken Rosenthal talking to the Reds and Rays team doctors and they are basically all "We have no fucking clue what the Os are thinking"

There is no state income tax in Texas - so that alone makes up a lot of the difference

To add to that, the Rangers play a lot of road games at Seattle and Houston - places where visiting players don't have to pay income tax on their earnings. According to Boras, Choo would have needed to get $148m from the Yankees to equal the $130m he got from Texas.

Be honest: how many of you knew that players had to pay state income taxes on their away game checks (where applicable)? I'd read that before but had forgotten it.

There is no state income tax in Texas - so that alone makes up a lot of the difference

To add to that, the Rangers play a lot of road games at Seattle and Houston - places where visiting players don't have to pay income tax on their earnings. According to Boras, Choo would have needed to get $148m from the Yankees to equal the $130m he got from Texas.

Be honest: how many of you knew that players had to pay state income taxes on their away game checks (where applicable)? I'd read that before but had forgotten it.

I think most people know that.  Its a big thing the local sports teams in Toronto do now to ease concerns over the high taxation rate in Ontario and Canada when they are wooing a potential free agent

Yeah - actually the reason I knew it was because of the big issue of when guys play games in Canada (and free agents signing there)

I remember being floored the first time I heard it

And again made me wish I didn't hate math and I had become an accountant

The tax thing would be one of the biggest issue facing the NFL in putting a team in London. Its why I laugh when people bring up the income tax line as why players wont go to x team instead of y team. They still have to pay when they play in those states anyway especially like basketball when you play all the other teams.

I had absolutely no idea that was the case.

Taxes are one of the reasons free agents dont want to play for the Habs in the NHL.

Non-sports anecdote: one year in the 90s at SPX, we were talking to Jeff Smith (of Bone fame) and said we were from Delaware. He said, "i've never been there, but our company is incorporated there."

So who gets him? Yankees, Rangers, Mariners, Angels, Diamondbacks or Dodgers?

Much as I'd like to see the Ms get him (and I do think they have a legit shot) I have a feeling he's gonna wind up in pinstripes.

He is using Casey Close as his agent so if you subscribe to the theory that his highest profile clients will want him directed to their clubs then that would mean the Yankees (Teixeira and Jeter) or Dodgers (Grienke and Kershaw)

BTW - Trade Rumors agency database is so fucking helpful