DVDVR Message Board

NOV 2017 WRESTLING PHOTO THREAD

RIPPA

I assume WWE refuses to put anything on TV that is not a giant production spectacle. 

I don't know what the harm would be in a nightly stream of house shows. I don't think it would hurt anyone as only the most hardcore fans would watch and they already got a feel of how things are. 

On 11/25/2017 at 4:35 PM, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

Card: 

WWE Championship - AJ Styles vs. Jinder Mahal

SmackDown Women's Championship - Charlotte Flair vs. Natalya

SmackDown Tag-Team Championship - The Usos vs. The New Day vs. Shelton Benjamin & Chad Gable vs. Sami Zayn & Kevin Owens

WWE United States Championship - Baron Corbin vs. Shinsuke Namakura

- Dolph Ziggler vs. Bobby Roode

- Dustin Rhodes vs. Dash Wilder

Card doesn't do much for me aside from the tag match,

I just got back from the SmackDown Live house show here in Roanoke, VA an hour ago and we pretty much got the same card without the Steel Cage matches for the Women's and Men's championship.

We did however get:

• Sin Cara vs. Rusev w. Aiden English
  • Tamina w. Lana, Natalya, & Carmella vs. Charlotte & Naomi
  • Breezango, Ascension, & Tye Dyllinger vs. The Colons, Bludgeon Brothers, & Mike Kanellis

but no Dustin or Dash Wilder

1 hour ago, Victator said:

I assume WWE refuses to put anything on TV that is not a giant production spectacle. 

I don't know what the harm would be in a nightly stream of house shows. I don't think it would hurt anyone as only the most hardcore fans would watch and they already got a feel of how things are. 

An easy way around it would be to market them as "WWE Fancams" or some shit like that.  Use the lo-fi production as a selling point.

13 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

An easy way around it would be to market them as "WWE Fancams" or some shit like that.  Use the lo-fi production as a selling point.

FWIW, I like the NJPW two-cam setup they've been using for the G1 tags. Maybe they're just afraid to show all those empty seats for a typical house show...

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Victator said:

Considering how most of the house show line-ups stay relatively the same you would A) be showing pretty much the same shows and matches over and over and B) discouraging people who might want to go to a house show since they can see other house shows from a few days prior and pretty much know what they're going to get.

And the fact that WWE Network has gone from showing a few random house shows a year to practically zero makes me think the viewership hasn't made the expense worth it.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

Considering how most of the house show line-ups stay relatively the same you would A) be showing pretty much the same shows and matches over and over and B) discouraging people who might want to go to a house show since they can see other house shows from a few days prior and pretty much know what they're going to get.

And the fact that WWE Network has gone from showing a few random house shows a year to practically zero makes me think the viewership hasn't made the expense worth it.

A: You can wait to show them until the dry runs for the big shows have run their course. And you don't have to show every one, just cherry pick the best ones (eg: any MSG show).

B: Every show is taped for insurance purposes so the cost of airing them would be virtually nothing. It's essentially new programming without additional costs of production. Basically it's found money.

"Just show some house shows on the cheap" goes against the look the micromanagers who run this company are firmly invested in.  It's not going to happen.

Think of Raw.  An overproduced, bright, technicolor monstrosity.  That's the look Vince and Dunn have made the signature of their #brand.  Lo-fi, handheld, two camera, whatever...anything that doesn't look like Walt Disney himself ate an entire Benjamin Moore outlet and then puked on your TV is not going to pass muster with them and is not going to be allowed to represent current day WWE. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yup. New Japan's scale (and the perception of it) is such that you can show matches with hockey boards surrounding the crowd, or a basketball goal in the corner, and very little in the way of production values. Of course WWE is way bigger, but however big it actually is, it insists on presenting itself as bigger still.

• Like 1

I think (a lack of) attendance is certainly part of it, but I also think WWE sees fans as part of the production, not separate from it. A big part of the audio and visual experience is generated by, collectively, "the universe", and so a relative lack results in worse production values. Maybe it's appropriate that a pro wrestling company (I know, I know) is so concerned with working how they're perceived, or maybe it isn't, but it seems a pretty omnipresent infatuation.

1 hour ago, Beech27 said:

I think (a lack of) attendance is certainly part of it, but I also think WWE sees fans as part of the production, not separate from it. A big part of the audio and visual experience is generated by, collectively, "the universe", and so a relative lack results in worse production values. Maybe it's appropriate that a pro wrestling company (I know, I know) is so concerned with working how they're perceived, or maybe it isn't, but it seems a pretty omnipresent infatuation.

WWE is not alone in it. The NFL blacks out games that are not sold out. 

One thing about later era ECW fancams (98 to the end) is seeing how empty a lot of the non TV tapings were. 

WWE could shoot around it but then it becomes work again.