DVDVR Message Board
RIPPA

AUGUST 2017 TV THREAD

Kuetsar    1,167
On 8/8/2017 at 9:46 AM, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

This week's episode of Rick and Morty - "Pickle Rick" - was outstanding.  Maybe my favorite ep so far.  I think the ep with all the imaginary characters (Mr. Poopybutthole) was probably a little better.  "Pickle Rick" was odd and wayyy over the top, but also quite funny.  The B story with the therapist pulled its weight too.

Am I the only one disinterested in the Orphan Black finale this weekend?  I've really enjoyed the run as a whole, but this season just never came together for me.  I feel like they tried to do too much and just didn't have time/writers.  They really haven't advanced any of the clones stories much this season and the cult plotline has been kinda meh for me.  The big bad is kinda dull and underdeveloped compared to previous villains (esp. Rachel and Matt Frewer's character from season 1).  It feels more like a season finale than a series - unless they want to leave things open for a reboot or movie.

Some strong eps this season, but the overall season hasn't grabbed my interest like previous years.

I think the lesson we learned this week is not to let Rick get blackout drunk. . . . .

J.T.    5,291

So Shondaland is moving to Netflix.  I imagine she'll kill shit on ABC Thursdays after the series finale for Scandal.  It's time for that show to die.

Curt McGirt    3,756
10 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

This week's episode of Rick and Morty - "Pickle Rick" - was outstanding.  Maybe my favorite ep so far.

Seconded. I've always liked the show, never completely embraced it like others have, but that was a banger. Susan Sarandon and Danny Trejo showing up helped. 

• Like 1

Kuetsar    1,167

The same with me. I think this year is much better than the previous ones. From Seal Team Ricks to Pickle Rick and beyond they have been on one hellava run. The lack of Jerry helps a bunch I think. . . 

• Like 1

J.H.    898

Yeah, the long wait for season 3 of Rick & Morty has turned out to be worth it so far!

James

• Like 3

CSC    1,321
On 8/15/2017 at 6:53 AM, J.T. said:

So Shondaland is moving to Netflix.  I imagine she'll kill shit on ABC Thursdays after the series finale for Scandal.  It's time for that show to die.

I can't figure out if having to watch the woman binge watch through entire seasons of Shonda shows will be better or worse than the slow excruciating burn of having to put up with them every single week even though I tell her to watch them while I'm at work and yet here it is Tuesday night at 6pm, I just got done making dinner and last weeks Greys Anatomy is being fired up on Hulu yet again. 

J.T.    5,291

I'd rather binge watch the shit in one or two sittings and be done with it. 

I can deal with How To Get Away With Murder when the metaplot isn't too crazy and can I can tolerate Scandal if there is a lot of spy crap in the plot, but the week to week episodes dominate quality time during the weekend for nearly two or three months.

Victator    2,748

I enjoyed the Pickle Rick episode of Rick and Morty. But it did feel a little too slick and maybe safe. But boy did this episode go in the opposite direction. This dark and hateful (in the best way) take on Marvel movies.

Spoiler

When StarSoldier called Morty a slow kid they use for photo ops. I was hoping he would be dead soon. 

Though the best fuck you is Rick saying

Spoiler

Who the fuck is Noob Noob?

At the big concert.

• Like 2

Kuetsar    1,167

This week's Rick and Morty was easily the worst of the season. Not that bad mind you, but Jerry is such an annoying character. Hopefully this wil be the only "jerry episode" this year.. . .

Victator    2,748
5 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

This week's Rick and Morty was easily the worst of the season. Not that bad mind you, but Jerry is such an annoying character. Hopefully this wil be the only "jerry episode" this year.. . .

I think you need Jerry there for the show to fully work. Beth is a worse character without Jerry to play off of. Most importantly Jerry is an every man to illustrate how crazy Rick's world is. Even Morty is adjusted to the craziness of it. His conflicts with Rick are moral. 

• Like 1

elizium    1,066

Do people not like Jerry? Haven't watched this season yet, but I love Jerry episodes.

• Like 1

Eivion    767

Can't say I really like Jerry, but I don't hate him either, especially with how he relates to Rick and Beth. I dug this week's episode a decent bit. It was nice to see Rick and Jerry hold an actual conversation. It was also probably the most honest Rick has been with any of the family.

Oyaji    2,977

I liked this episode a great deal more than the last one. Overall, this season has been great as per the norm but nothing that touches the best episodes from the first two seasons.