DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Cinematic Universe - 2019 and Beyond

37 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Well, since DC was dumb and never greenlit Gareth Evans's Deathstroke project, here's hoping that Marvel will pick him up for the 2020 Blade do-over. 

He's got a good pedigree in both action and horror joints so I think he'd be perfect for the MCU re-introduction for the famed Vampire Slayer.

I'd be down for a Midnight Sons / Horror Avengers deal where Blade, Ghost Rider, Man - Wolf / Werewolf By Night, Man-Thing and maybe Morbius get their own movies and eventually team up to confront Lilith..

Or is that using the fomula one too many times?

Presumably you need a woman babyface on the team. Satana? Elsa Bloodstone in the token human role? Gender swap for some C list hero? 

25 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Sony controls 900 characters.  I have no fucking clue who about 825 of them are but...  

The 900 undoubtedly includes support characters like the employees of the Daily Bugle (Betty Brandt, JJJ, "Robbie" Robertson, Ben Ulrich) in addition to the members of Spidey's rogues gallery and the Spider-Man Shared Universe characters.

You probably know more of the characters than you think you do.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, J.T. said:

The 900 undoubtedly includes support characters like the employees of the Daily Bugle (Betty Brandt, JJJ, "Robbie" Robertson, Ben Ulrich) in addition to the members of Spidey's rogues gallery and the Spider-Man Shared Universe characters.

You probably know more of the characters than you think you do.

FWIW, Fox somehow owned Ben Urich, which transferred over to Marvel proper, which is how that character was in Daredevil season 1 on Netflix.

Can Spider-Man use Kingpin? (in live-action)  This Sony shared universe could actually be quite large..   I was talking with someone today and I believe Sony is the only place you could see a Miles movie or a Spider-Gwen movie etc.    I don't think if Spider-Man is in the MCU those are real possibilities.  

Not saying they'd knock it out of the park but it could be interesting. 

Edited by Niners Fan in CT
live-action?

Just now, Bustronaut said:

...Kingpin was the baddie in Spider-Verse

Yeah but some people are under the impression that animated and live action is separate in this deal.  I saw a bunch of people on Twitter saying WHAT HAPPENS WITH SPIDERVERSE NOW?! 

I had thought IP film rights are IP film rights regardless of how it's done but I'm not 100% on that. 

3 minutes ago, Matt D said:

If Disney had Spider-Man, you'd see a Miles movie. Why? Because actors get old and with their current model, legacy characters are a hell of a solution.

Sure but Spider-Man as a standalone wasn't in the plans for this next phase so they'd have done at least one more with Tom probably in the 2022-23 range..  Miles wouldn't come into play until 2025 at the earliest. 

IP film rights (for now, at least) are studio specific.

If Disney wanted to create a Spider-Man animated movie for Disney+, they couldn't.  If they wanted to make a Spider-Man animated miniseries, they could.  If they then tried to package said miniseries as one piece, that would be a no-no.  

They sort of teased Miles in Homecoming. Donald Glover's character is eventually going to become The Prowler. And he mentioned that he had a nephew in the neighbourhood. Although there's every chance that Miles is only, like 5 years old at that point. Or not born yet and he was talking about a different nephew.

6 minutes ago, Bustronaut said:

IP film rights (for now, at least) are studio specific.

If Disney wanted to create a Spider-Man animated movie for Disney+, they couldn't.  If they wanted to make a Spider-Man animated miniseries, they could.  If they then tried to package said miniseries as one piece, that would be a no-no.  

So could Disney+ make a live action Spider-Man miniseries?  

Well the keyword there is "live action".

It's possible Marvel/Disney can only do TV with an animated Spider-Man, since it was reported last year that Lord & Miller were developing multiple live action Spidey TV shows for Sony. But, that's odd, since it would mean Disney can only do TV AND animated for the character, while Sony can do live action TV, and both animated and live action movies for the character.

Hollywood is weird.

According to a Variety interview with Elizabeth Olsen & Paul Bettany, WandaVision starts off as a comedy (inspired by classic American sitcoms) and eventually morphs into basically a mindfuck.