DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Cinematic Universe - 2019 and Beyond

They kind of have to reboot with how much MCU was involved. Also as much as people keep saying they would still have Holland and Watts does anyone know if either wants to do without Feige/Marvel Studios involvement?

2 minutes ago, nate said:

Crazy question: Could Sony make a deal with Universal to do a Spider-Man Sinister 6 film where he enlists the help of the Incredible Hulk (but not Ruffalo)?

Just now, Matt D said:

Can they make a deal with WB where he joins the Justice League?

I imagine the answer to both of these is no. Actually I don't think Universal could even make a Hulk movie if they wanted. Their rights involve distribution opposed than owning the character and his universe.

22 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I don't care I'd love to see some more of Miles and Spider-Gwen and I'd have more faith in those getting done under Sony than whatever plan Marvel has for Peter.

I'm not sure what your point is. The talk right now is just about the live action movies. Its not like this was a plot to get the entire thing back so more of Miles sand Spider-Gwen was happening anyways.

Edited by Eivion

18 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I'm not sure what your point is. The talk right now is just about the live action movies. Its not like this was a plot to get the entire thing back so more of Miles sand Spider-Gwen was happening anyways.

It's the classic "Marvel sucks, ________ rules!" shit that Niners has always been on. Just instead of DC this time, it's now shifted to Sony for the moment.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Casey said:

It's the classic "Marvel sucks, ________ rules!" shit that Niners has always been on. Just instead of DC this time, it's now shifted to Sony for the moment.

Yeah, I mean, general rule, if Casey and I agree, then there's something to it.

11 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Yeah, I mean, general rule, if Casey and I agree, then there's something to it.

Well that's a shocker.

------

Hollywood Reporter says that Holland has the option for another movie (even though Sony has plans for two more), and Jon Watts has completed his contract and is free to explore other projects. 

According to them, Disney wasn't going to leave (more) money on the table, and Sony thinks the can do live action Spidey movies without Feige since they've seen it in action twice now and they had a relative hit with Venom and a major success with Spider-Verse. Basically both sides got too cocky.

And that is about what I figured happened. The balance was always delicate. I suspect just about any deal that would have led to Disney getting more money would have been rejected. Sony has seen too much success both because of Feige and MCU and w/o them. It makes sense that they feel they know enough to succeed on their own again. Venom's success was really what pushed to me that this was going to happen.

Thought it was weird how many people kept throwing Holland's and Watts's names in like it was a certainty either would want to continue. I mean they might, but its weird to just assume it. It would be better for Sony to reboot anyways if they are going it alone. Saying that, I still think of most of Sony Spider-man expansion ideas for films are generally terrible. 

Edited by Eivion

Keeping the same directors for the franchises is a part of the Marvel plan now, though. Granted Spidey isn't with Marvel Studios anymore, but it's why Watts is important to the Spider-Man formula. The direction might not have been nothing special, but Watts has been with this iteration of Spider-Man since the beginning and understands it (same with the writers, McKenna & Summers). Take all of that away, plus Tom Holland if he doesn't want to continue, and at that point you definitely might as well reboot the entire thing.

Edited by Casey

1 hour ago, Casey said:

What are you talking about?  My point is clear.  Sony has done a lot of positive things with the Spider-Man IP.   I'd have more faith in them expanding the Spiderverse and doing a good job with it than whatever Stark Jr. plans Marvel has lined up for Peter.  Not that the Holland movies have been bad or anything,  I think they've been solid but he and the rest of his expanded universe is always going to take a backseat to whatever pet project the MCU has going on at the time. 

Your problem is the same problem that all obsessive MCU fans have. Weren't you one of the people who thought 20th Century Fox being bought up is a good thing because now the MCU can make X-Men movies? Yeah, I mean that's cool and all but the super MCU fan base never see the bigger picture.  What's going on with Disney isn't "good" for cinema. 

• Haha 1

I don't see the need for a reboot. The Avengers are basically disassembled at this point, most of what ties Peter to the wider MCU is less of a factor with Stark dead, and there's a big rogue's gallery of villains in Spidey's world anyway. He's spent the last two and a half movies he's in trying to be a friendly neighbourhood Spider-Man and getting dragged into bigger issues he'd rather have avoided, yes? Just do that. He already helped save the world, let him save the neighbourhood for once.

Vulture told Scorpion he didn't know who Spider-Man was. J Jonah Jameson told the world who Spider-Man was. There's a logical next step to that, and it doesn't need Sam and Bucky showing up to tell it.

• Like 2

I'm looking at this like a comic book fan. Trading being part of the Marvel Universe for a shared Venom and Carnage universe is like the 90's all over again.. when I didn't like Spider-Man comics. Oooh, maybe we'll get the Clone horseshit! 

Edited by Johnny Sorrow

17 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Isn't that what killed Marvel in the first place and had them selling off their rights to all these characters? 

Yes and no. That was definitely a major disaster creatively, but it was more terrible business deals and decisions that crashed the company. Buying a comic distributor and trying to squeeze the market is a big part of what killed the comic book industry (and gave Diamond their monopoly). Buying not one but two trading card companies after the bottom fell out on trading cards. Etc

Both sides are assholes here.  Disney shouldn't have opened the negotiations at 50%, that's just arrogant.  At the same time, Sony flew this plane nose-first into the ground with Amazing Spider Man 2.  They had plans for a third movie and pulled the plug, that's how bad they fucked up this franchise.  MCU saved their asses and brought it back to life.  Sony thinking they can pull off the training wheels and do it themselves now is like an accident victim who broke both legs deciding to give up crutches after an hour or two like "nah man, I'm good, let's go for a run!"

Disney wanted more money for carrying a dead franchise on their backs, but asked for too much.  Sony's suits are as short-sighted and misunderstanding of their product as the guys running the DCU who skipped steps 2-10 and jumped right to Justice League because they were envious of that sweet Avengers money.  Everybody sucks here.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I hope with them bringing J.K. back to do his iconic role, that they eventually bring back Alfred Molina to play Doc Ock, so they can do the Superior Spider-Man story.

As a fan of the Superior Spider-Man, I'd like to see that in live-action at some point.