DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Cinematic Universe - 2019 and Beyond

I do find it kinda sad how quickly people were ready to pile onto Sony when the entire god damned early release of the negotiation was clearly something Disney did on purpose to get public sentiment on there side. And shock of shocks, The pure marvel crowd had people talking about how selfish Sony was selfish was within minutes, including people wanting the biggest evil corporation in America to fucking buyout a competitor.

Fuck Disney for all this transparent bullshit. The offer they reportedly gave Sony was basically bullshit compared that they had, and they are just bullying in order to try to make it go through.

• Like 1

Seriously, fuck Disney.  Anybody trying to paint Sony as the villain here has no clue.  Disney overplayed their hand, and Sony has had enough recent success to call them on it.

They’ll probably get this worked out eventually, but at this point, I kinda hope they don’t.  I’m already over this era of Disney dominating everything, and it’s  just getting started.

• Like 1

Disney's asking amount was too much and Sony feel confident Spider-Man is rehabilitated enough to go at it alone. Marvel Studios Marvel Cinematic Universe has a brand identity of quality control. I hope this can be resolved...but I don't think it will.

This is very much a “Deal with the devil” situation. Like @The Natural said Sony needed their Spider-Man movie franchise “Rehabbed”, and so in agreement they gave up their major stake in Spider-Man merch for him to be apart of the big tent pole MCU franchise. But now Disney wants more by chipping away at Sony’s grip of the character. Sony has no reason to give it up really. It’s still possible to keep this new franchise going. The character, and actor that appears at the end credits is tied more to a series of films that they made, than the MCU. In fact, if they do what I think they’ll do, then that will probably satisfy both nerds who are into that old series, and new nerds that love the memes that seem to have popped up again like some sort of viral ad. 

Funny thing is before this deal started I believe Sony was willing to sell Spider-Man. But Disney low-balled them, and so we ended up here.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Thanks 1

Double posting, but I really like Sony's statement.

The internet: "Sony is terrible!"

Sony: "Hm? What? Oh, yeah, it was great having Kevin! Congrats on his new role! We wish he still had time to work with us! We'll sure miss him!"

The internet: "Wait, what?"

4 hours ago, EVA said:

Seriously, fuck Disney.  Anybody trying to paint Sony as the villain here has no clue.

Eh, they're kind of both villains. The real problem is that Spider-Man is over fifty years old, has had time to become part of the public consciousness, and should therefore be public domain.

• Like 2

I don't get all the kvetching. Sony recently made the best Spider-Man movie there has ever been, and it wasn't part of the MCU.

source.gif

So we don't get a subplot about who Jon Favreau's fucking. Big deal.

I don't think it's all that hard, but we also don't know who exactly owns what. The gadgets in his suit? Yes? No? The new supporting cast members? Vulture's tech? Can you just handwave it?

I think they could tell a pretty tight Kraven's Last Hunt story, for instance, one that would have a new twist on it just due to the fact that Peter's so young, relatively. You could do that without virtually any of the MCU trappings. 

I was thinking they would be edging toward Sinister 6 for the third movie. They have Vulture, Shocker, Scorpion, and Mysterio (I don't believe he's dead). Not sure who the other two would be, but that seemed like the obvious choice with some kind of Spider-Man team-up with another MCU hero.

The hope is that some kind of an arrangement gets worked out, but for now, you have Marvel sounding like you know who wanting to buy Greenland and Sony sounding like the same person making an excuse for why he cancelled the meeting with Denmark's prime minister.

• Haha 1

Actual text from a change.org petition that somehow their algorithm thought I needed to see

After the news today that Sony walked away from their deal with Disney, I cannot in good faith stand by while Spider-man and his fans around the world become collateral damage. Spider-man in the MCU has brought some of the best moments in modern cinema history. SONY you must let go of this property or renegotiate with Disney to keep all of the fans happy. 

Please join me in standing against Sony who I'll be boycotting until this matter is properly resolved. Share this petition and let's make our voices heard!

Best moments in modern cinema history, y'all!

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

The reports are that Watts and Holland are both going to be brought back. I'm deeply curious to see how they juggle making it part 3 without the MCU trappings.

I hope it works.

I do find it strange that while Watts and Holland are continually mentioned, nobody mentions Zendaya.

Edited by Ace

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

I don't think it's all that hard, but we also don't know who exactly owns what. The gadgets in his suit? Yes? No? The new supporting cast members? Vulture's tech? Can you just handwave it?

Well, the MCU and X-Men universe were already able to handwave the Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver thing (in MCU movies, they can't make mention that Magneto is their father and, IIRC, also that they're mutants, but in the X-Men movies they couldn't make mention that they were also members of the Avengers.) 

The only question would be the nature of MJ, and somehow I get the feeling she'll "happen" to become an intern for SHIELD (if not they give her a random power) just to keep the character and stick it to Sony any way they can.

12 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

Well, the MCU and X-Men universe were already able to handwave the Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver thing (in MCU movies, they can't make mention that Magneto is their father and, IIRC, also that they're mutants, but in the X-Men movies they couldn't make mention that they were also members of the Avengers.) 

Um... while yeah, they didn't mention parentage of the Maximovs, but that Magneto was their father and they're mutants is a later retcon and not part of the OG characters, so it wasn't that hard of a hand wave.   They didn't need to tap dance around Avengers because the Avengers didn't exist in the Fox Universe and weren't a thing that needed to be tap danced around.  The issue that existed in the movies were that it was very ambigious who the Maximovs belonged to, Avengers or X-Men, so Disney and Fox cut the deal where Disney got Wanda period and Pietro for a movie, and Fox got Pietro and switched Wanda's age to an infant so she was a non-factor.

I'm really not sure you can handwave every MCU thing out of the Holland Spider-man since his entire character arc is built around interactions with Tony and Civil War/Infinity War, as well as the world he exists in (Vulture being a profiteer selling Supervillian tech and beating Damage Control to cleanup of aftermaths, Mysterio and the Multiverses and direct interactions with SHIELD, THE ENTIRE WORLD BEING 5 YEARS AHEAD and half the population not existing for that 5 years, including Peter), yeah, Sony almost needs a soft reboot since it's just too much to handwave away.

Edited by Raziel

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

I was thinking they would be edging toward Sinister 6 for the third movie. They have Vulture, Shocker, Scorpion, and Mysterio (I don't believe he's dead). Not sure who the other two would be, but that seemed like the obvious choice with some kind of Spider-Man team-up with another MCU hero.

I love this idea but don't know who you would hypothetically team with Peter. His main connection was with Tony, but jumping from that to Rhodey would be too C-tier. He had some interaction with Strange, but that doesn't feel right either. Hulk is still presumably New York based, and he doesn't have much going on. I dunno.

You could still presumably do Peter vs the SIx without that. Just go with the usual play of turning a couple fools to turn on one another. But I'm spit-balling as if Sony and Disney will work things out or as if Sony still has access to the established villains. 

Now that I think of it, in what franchise are we most likely to see Hulk next? (If ever)

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

8 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

If this means bringing back Uncle Ben as Peter's motivation and not Tony, I'm for it  

I mean the great power,/great responsibility stuff has been in Pete's head since the first scene we see of him in Civil War. Should we have any problem inferring that Ben was always part of his motivation?

I'm personally fine not seeing the Ben stuff on screen again. It's like Batman's origin. It's been done. A lot. 

• Like 2

Just now, nate said:

Crazy question: Could Sony make a deal with Universal to do a Spider-Man Sinister 6 film where he enlists the help of the Incredible Hulk (but not Ruffalo)?

Can they make a deal with WB where he joins the Justice League?