DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Cinematic Universe - 2019 and Beyond

51 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Both sides are assholes here.  Disney shouldn't have opened the negotiations at 50%, that's just arrogant.  At the same time, Sony flew this plane nose-first into the ground with Amazing Spider Man 2.  They had plans for a third movie and pulled the plug, that's how bad they fucked up this franchise.  MCU saved their asses and brought it back to life.  Sony thinking they can pull off the training wheels and do it themselves now is like an accident victim who broke both legs deciding to give up crutches after an hour or two like "nah man, I'm good, let's go for a run!"

Disney wanted more money for carrying a dead franchise on their backs, but asked for too much.  Sony's suits are as short-sighted and misunderstanding of their product as the guys running the DCU who skipped steps 2-10 and jumped right to Justice League because they were envious of that sweet Avengers money.  Everybody sucks here.

In agreement with all of this.

• Like 2

Anyway, this is an opportunity. Just like not having Spider-Man, X-Men, FF, etc. was an opportunity to push Cap, Iron Man, Thor, this is the time to just put Kamala Khan front and center and change the world while making money in the process.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Anyway, this is an opportunity. Just like not having Spider-Man, X-Men, FF, etc. was an opportunity to push Cap, Iron Man, Thor, this is the time to just put Kamala Khan front and center and change the world while making money in the process.

That makes Marvel Studios performance even more impressive not having the big guns to start with.

[Sony Fantasy Booking]Tom Holland Spidey stars with Miles Morales in Into the Spider-Verse 2, and at the end, something goes wrong and instead of being sent back home, he gets sent to Tom Hardy Venom’s world, where he stars in Venom 2. That way, rather than wasting time/money trying to recapture the MCU Spidey Magic, use Holland to put over your local talent. [/Sony Fantasy Booking]

11 hours ago, The Natural said:

As a fan of the Superior Spider-Man, I'd like to see that in live-action at some point.

I love it. It was like if the AzBat portions of Nightfall weren’t awful.

Oh man, what if the quasi-reboot is them doing a Superior Spider-Man Trilogy? Maybe the first movie is just a set up so we can get an idea of the personality of the actor that plays Doc Ock, and the 2nd, and 3rd movie is basically just John Travolta playing Nic Cage in Face/Off. Better yet, if the movies are a hit, then maybe we can get a longer SpOck series to get us really comfortable with this new cocky prick version of Spider-Man.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Well, she's right about this.   Sony has done nothing wrong here.  One thing that I guess has flown under the radar is that with inflation Sony has already had Spider-Man movies pass the one billion mark.  I'm pretty sure many of these Spider-Man movies from Sony have sold more tickets than Far From Home.  Venom almost made a billion. Into the Spiderverse won an Oscar. 

I've read where people now want Disney to buy Sony so they can have Spider-Man all to themselves.  Why?  Unless you are simply an overgrown child (which I mean if the shoe fits) then why the hell does anyone want LESS studios and less jobs and less room for creativity in Hollywood?  I like comic book movies but they aren't my life. 

• Haha 2

Stan Lee's daughter via TMZ

"Whether it's Sony or someone else's, the continued evolution of Stan's characters and his legacy deserves multiple points of view."

“When my father died, no one from Marvel or Disney reached out to me. From day one, they have commoditized my father’s work and never shown him or his legacy any respect or decency.”

JC's parting words ... "In the end, no one could have treated my father worse than Marvel and Disney's executives."

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Well, she's right about this.   Sony has done nothing wrong here.  One thing that I guess has flown under the radar is that with inflation Sony has already had Spider-Man movies pass the one billion mark.  I'm pretty sure many of these Spider-Man movies from Sony have sold more tickets than Far From Home.  Venom almost made a billion. Into the Spiderverse won an Oscar. 

I've read where people now want Disney to buy Sony so they can have Spider-Man all to themselves.  Why?  Unless you are simply an overgrown child (which I mean if the shoe fits) then why the hell does anyone want LESS studios and less jobs and less room for creativity in Hollywood?  I like comic book movies but they aren't my life. 

If you want to talk about tickets sold, the 2014 Godzilla movie sold less tickets than 1998 Godzilla. How does that make you feel? 

You are putting way too much faith into Tom Rothman. Sony has done plenty wrong here. 

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

If you want to talk about tickets sold, the 2014 Godzilla movie sold less tickets than 1998 Godzilla. How does that make you feel? 

I'm not bothered by that. Godzilla 1998 had a huge marketing campaign.  

I'm not seeing a lot of explanation for why people feel Sony is in the wrong here. Disney is being greedy,  what else is new. 

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Casey said:

I'm not delving into their personal lives,  nor do I care.  Whatever personal issues they might have had are none of my business and aren't relevant to this discussion. 

• Haha 1

Then don't post her statement to TMZ about the whole matter to try and bolster your weak argument, when her relationships and problems with her family are well known and very much in the public eye.

20 minutes ago, Casey said:

Then don't post her statement to TMZ about the whole matter to try and bolster your weak argument, when her relationships and problems with her family are well known and very much in the public eye.

Her comments were relevant to the ongoing Sony-Disney standoff.  Her issues with her Dad,  real or not, have nothing to do with any of this.   Your post was the equivalent of mainstream media's: "he smoked weed when he was 14" 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Casey said:

your weak argument

Sony hasn't been successful with the Spider-Man IP?  Disney isn't being greedy?  That's...all I posted and you have an issue with this because maybe Spider-Man won't get to go swing around Avengers headquarters for a while.  Maybe he can protect his own neighborhood for once. 

This will get worked out,  both sides will come back to the table.  The end. 

6 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

You are putting way too much faith into Tom Rothman. Sony has done plenty wrong here. 

Real Talk:  Godzilla 98 is more entertaining than the 2014 film.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Stan Lee's daughter via TMZ

"Whether it's Sony or someone else's, the continued evolution of Stan's characters and his legacy deserves multiple points of view."

“When my father died, no one from Marvel or Disney reached out to me. From day one, they have commoditized my father’s work and never shown him or his legacy any respect or decency.”

JC's parting words ... "In the end, no one could have treated my father worse than Marvel and Disney's executives."

I wish I were treated as poorly as Stan Lee was treated by Marvel and Disney. I could use a million a year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2