DVDVR Message Board

Wrestlemania XXXIII

HumanChessgame

18 hours ago, zev said:

They've already done the Shane vs. table spot in this feud, what the heck is he going to do in the actual match?

Shane's calling Great Sasuke's barrel guy right now. Yeah, he's got a guy. 

• Like 5

Yeah, that match really might not end well for either guy. Both have these odd suicidal/kamikaze tendencies that defy logic. It still amazes me Shane somehow came out worse in that SS spot with Reigns seeing as he manged to spike Reigns completely 180 on his head.

Part of me wants Bell Ring, Boot, Styles Clash, Pin. Part of me wants a dive off of whatever structure they have around and over top the ring in case of rain. To be fair, change the finisher in the above statement and I'm like that for half the matches.

No matter what the card is on paper, I look forward to the show. I hang out with my 2 best friends from high school and their spouses. One wife watches as much WWE as any of us and will gladly offer opinions on matchups and bring cupcakes. The other doesn't care for pro wrestling much, but is a 4th degree black belt and hey sometimes it's just fun to know someone who could legit Beat Up John Cena.

• Like 3

This year Mania seems much more fun than last year. I mean honestly I hate Goldberg and Corbin but most of the other stuff looks solid on paper.  

If only they could have Shane O Mac vs Taker and AJ vs Roman instead it would be cooler, but I like what we are getting this year anyway.

On 3/23/2017 at 10:23 AM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Okay 14 matches, I'm gonna guess the order:

Pre-show

Usos (c) vs. American Alpha - Smackdown Tag Titles

Andre the Giant Battle Royale (Joe wins)

Alexa Bliss (c) vs. Nattie vs. Becky Lynch vs. Mickie James vs. Carmella vs. ? - Smackdown Women's Title

Main show

Gallows & Anderson (c) vs. Enzo & Cass vs. Sheamus & Cesaro - Raw Tag Titles

Dean Ambrose (c) vs. Baron Corbin - IC Title

Neville (c) vs. Austin Aries - CW Title

Bray Wyatt (c) vs. Randy Orton - World Title

John Cena & Nikki Bella vs. Miz & Maryse (Cena/Bella proposal as the midway high point)

Chris Jericho (c) vs. Kevin Owens - US Title

Bayley (c) vs. Sasha Banks vs. Charlotte Flair vs. Nia Jax - Raw Women's Title

Seth Rollins vs. HHH 

Shane McMahon vs. AJ Styles

The Undertaker vs. Roman Reigns

Goldberg (c) vs. Brock Lesnar - Universal Title

I think those last 4 are set in stone. 

I like this line-up! I feel Enzo and Cass win at this show tho.

also Joe will be involved in the HHH match so he may not be in the Andre Battle Royal. My pick is Braun.

That Neville vs. Aries match should be excellent, but put that on the pre-show. Card's going to be on long enough without spending time on putting up the purple ropes.

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 2:49 PM, cwoy2j said:

I love how they didn't have a plan for the guy who had the best year in the company and that they put over John Cena multiple times but they seem to have had this shitty Bray Wyatt/Orton feud planned for months.

Things changed largely due to Lesnar.  He said no to a Shane match, and he left Orton in a bloody heap at Summer Slam. No doubt Orton was promised a title shot/run for taking the Lesnar situation quietly. Bray is the easiest means to that end. And someone with value was going to pull Shane, because he's a McMahon.  AJ was the only top guy on SDL without a partner after the parts started moving, so it was an easy choice. Plus, they know AJ will carry Shane to a decent showing.

Also, they were originally setting up the mixed tag match for Miz/Maryse and Ambrose/Renee. But they realized they could have a mainstream moment with Cena proposing to Nikki.  It sets up stories for Total Divas and Total Bellas who have viewers they're trying to move over into the formal wrestling fan column. Miz/Maryse play better to those demographics than Dean/Renee, and they want to capitalize on Cena's growing talk show/movie presence.

Basically, I'm taking the long road to say that it didn't take much to set the wheels of change in motion for several of these matches.

• Like 1

Isn't it weird that Cena has accepted the proposal to be foreshadowed this much? if I was contemplating proposing to my girlfriend I'd like the surprise element to still be intact somewhat, it seems far too inevitable at this point which makes me believe it could be a huge swerve and Nikki's going to decline, hell, that would be the ideal way to send Cena packing for a few months. Miz gloating endlessly despite losing would be amazing.  

9 hours ago, zev said:

That Neville vs. Aries match should be excellent, but put that on the pre-show. Card's going to be on long enough without spending time on putting up the purple ropes.

There are tons of times at WM main show where they can do the purple ropes.  The Hall of Fame Introductions are definitely one of them.  You know there are going to be at least 3 or 4 New Day segments so you got the other side after the match.  But I agree it will be a pre-show match

When did Cena propose to Nikki?   I mean if they have already done it then the mixed tag match is completely meaningless now.  Unless Nikki does turn heel which if she is leaving as well then that makes no sense

20 hours ago, L_W_P said:

Calling it now - Shaq will be a surprise entrant in the Andre Battle Royal and we will get Shaq v Show as the final 2.

Good chance that Strowman gets knocked out under the ropes early and comes back to win later.

i am all for this idea. good shout.

and i can't wait for Goldberg to lose. part of me wants a 10 second squash, but the other part wants a 10 minute squash.

20 hours ago, L_W_P said:

Calling it now - Shaq will be a surprise entrant in the Andre Battle Royal and we will get Shaq v Show as the final 2.

Good chance that Strowman gets knocked out under the ropes early and comes back to win later.

i am all for this idea. good shout.

and i can't wait for Goldberg to lose. part of me wants a 10 second squash, but the other part wants a 10 minute squash.

edit: double post.

so the local theater is hosting this. free entry. a couple friends and i are gonna go. down some beers and cheer at the big screen. most excited i've been for Mania in a couple years.

• Like 2

Maybe Goldberg is as crazy as Randy Orton and will let Brock totally "unintentionally" try to cave in his skull and make him bleed all over the place with an elbow.

Leave him laying and the end of WrestleMania is the ultimate "don't fuck with Brock because he will destroy you eventually" moment.  

And there's zero chance Shaq is wrestling in the battle royal without them announcing that Shaq is at least going to be there.  They're not dumb enough to waste a "name" appearance like that.  

• Like 1

Goldberg said on the E&C Pod that they sent Curtis Axel to workout with him but Goldberg feels like he's going to save all his bumps for the actual match.

He also talked about legit knocking himself loopy when he headbutted the door, pulling a hammy doing his pyro entrance and hurting himself when he did that deal with Rusev.

I can't imagine they're doing a real match at Mania.

Goldberg on the E&C pod made me wonder about his match too. He sounds like he's game but yeah, he's still just as sloppy as ever and could injure himself doing just about anything. But he's also doing this run to look like a hero for his kid so there's probably no way he isn't giving a least a valiant effort at Mania. I'm not totally stoked to see their match but I'm definitely curious.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CSC said:

And there's zero chance Shaq is wrestling in the battle royal without them announcing that Shaq is at least going to be there.  They're not dumb enough to waste a "name" appearance like that.  

I don't recall an announcement that he'd be in the battle royal last year. Was there one prior to day of show?

• Like 2

I'm calling Inteference by Samoa Joe, Sami Zayn, Mick Foley and possibly Finn Balor in the Triple H-Rollins match. Joe might also get involved in Ownes-Jericho too. I think Joe and Zayn will also be in the Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal. I think Joe and Zayn will have a big part in the H-Rollins match it's unsanctioned and no way it isn't going to be a street fight and with Rollins just getting off the knee injury I think they're going to lighten Rollins' load s bit with making it almost a tag team match. Foley is going to show up towards the end putting H in a mandible claw. Balor is going to determine the outcome of the match I think. It's going to something similar to Balor taking out Rollins with Triple H and Joe looking on in approval before Balor takes out Joe and then H, pulling Rollins on top of H before leaving the ring. then the next night on Raw they're going to run with a whatside is Balor on angle. At least thats the way I'd do it. 

• Like 2

I get that it's Brock Lesnar and he can be a face or heel just depending on where he is and what mood he's in, but it's still weird that the "heel" in this feud is most likely going to close WrestleMania by winning and becoming champion.

I know they did it at 31 with Rollins, but that wasn't a forgone conclusion heading into the show. I guess you could have Goldberg retain, but that being the main event just kind of feels... I don't know, not worthy, in a sense?

Just because this kind of stuff does it for me every year...

Currently announced competitors participating in their first WrestleMania match:

• Apollo Crews
  • Mojo Rawley
  • Karl Anderson
  • Enzo Amore 
  • Big Cass
  • Neville*
  • Austin Aries
  • Alexa Bliss**
  • Carmella 
  • Bayley
  • Nia Jax

*- Neville was originally pencilled in to participate in last year's ladder match. He was replaced by eventual winner Zack Ryder. Neville is doubtlessly looking to make up for lost time this year and has the chance to do so in the highest-profile cruiserweight match WWE can book at the moment: Neville vs Aries.

**- This year will mark Bliss' first WrestleMania match, but she was one of Triple H's Golden Girls three years ago in New Orleans.

This list will become longer when the battle royal fills out and American Alpha are officially announced for a tag title match. 

Others notes:

• Kevin Owens' only WrestleMania match was last year's ladder match. His featured match against Chris Jericho at KOMania 2 will be his first Mania singles match.
  • Baron Corbin finds himself in a similar position to Owens. Last year, Corbin made his debut with a successful appearance in the Andre Memorial Battle Royal. This year, he has his first WrestleMania singles match against Dean Ambrose.
  • Maryse has participated in multi-Diva clusterfucks at both Mania 25 and 27. Mania 33 marks Maryse's first appearance in one of the featured bouts on the biggest show of the year.
  • Similarly, Nikki Bella has found herself in a couple clusterfuck Divas matches over the years. Her most noteworthy Mania match to date is a tag match at WM31 pitting herself and her sister Brie against the team of Paige and AJ Lee. This year, Nikki participates in one of the evening's featured bouts for the first time.
  • John Cena, Randy Orton, and Seth Rollins all missed out on competing at WrestleMania 32 due to injuries, though Cena would briefly get physical at the end of Rock's never-ending gab-a-thon. Bray Wyatt did not compete at last year's Mania, but also appeared in the aforementioned gab-a-thon. All four men will participate in featured bouts at this year's event. 
  • Luke Gallows has participated in at least two dark match battle royals, one of which he worked as Festus. I expect Mania 33 will mean much more to the one-time Director of Chaos. 
  • Like 5