DVDVR Message Board

ALL ENCOMPASSING STAR WARS THREAD

RIPPA

1 hour ago, RandomAct said:

Should I jump to conclusions about a blonde white woman being in the cast? ?

That said, I feel like this is going to deal VERY heavily in flashbacks if she's playing who I think, and the inclusion of Hayden.

Joel Edgerton and Bonnie Piesse are reprising their roles as Owen and Beru from the prequels.

2 hours ago, RandomAct said:

That said, I feel like this is going to deal VERY heavily in flashbacks if she's playing who I think, and the inclusion of Hayden.

A year ago I'd tell you not to be ridiculous and not to get your hopes up, but after Mandalorian season 2, it feels like we're in an entirely different world.

People were speculating that might be Varma's role when she was cast.

Edited by Matt D

Bad Batch looks nice. Obi-Wan has a solid cast. Looking forward to both.

8 hours ago, RandomAct said:

So who did you think she was playing?

7 minutes ago, RandomAct said:

Dutchess Satine in flashbacks..

Thought that was who were referring to. I wouldn't be shocked if we get her in a flashback or two, but I have trouble seeing them focus too much on his time with her. Always sounded like their time together was a decent bit before the Clone Wars.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Matt D said:

Put on the first episode of Ewoks for the 8 year old and 3 year old and was surprised that Dini wrote it. I probably knew that once but I had forgotten. Anyway, that made me look for an interview and there's always an interview out there:

https://autos.yahoo.com/paul-dini-ewoks-droids-star-wars-175933375.html

Was always a fan of the White Witch storyline from Droids.  Also marked that Stewart Copeland from The Police wrote the theme song.

I have no idea how Ewoks made it to a Saturday morning cartoon.  I think people forget that those little fuckers were going to roast the heroes over an open fire until Luke used the Force to trick the little buggers into worshiping C3PO, proving that Star Wars has no equivalent to the First Directive from Star Trek.

I am also convinced that the parties that created the Ace Ventura: Pet Detective cartoon have never watched the Ace Ventura movies.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

Was always a fan of the White Witch storyline from Droids.  Also marked that Stewart Copeland from The Police wrote the theme song.

I have no idea how Ewoks made it to a Saturday morning cartoon.  I think people forget that those little fuckers were going to roast the heroes over an open fire until Luke used the Force to trick the little buggers into worshiping C3PO, proving that Star Wars has no equivalent to the First Directive from Star Trek.

I am also convinced that the parties that created the Ace Ventura: Pet Detective cartoon have never watched the Ace Ventura movies.

I mean, we had cartoons of WAY more kid unfriendly properties lol. Like, yes, we all watched the Police Academy, Rambo and Robocop films as kids, but how they got greenlit for Saturday mornings blows my mind.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, RandomAct said:

I mean, we had cartoons of WAY more kid unfriendly properties lol. Like, yes, we all watched the Police Academy, Rambo and Robocop films as kids, but how they got greenlit for Saturday mornings blows my mind.

Like Beetlejuice going from trying to marry a child to having wacky adventures with her?

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

I watched a pretty interesting segment on Youtube about the Aliens toys. Apparently there was initially a cartoon involved but the studio got cold feet because the franchise was so violent that they thought it would get blowback, and also from losing their street cred as Alien 3 was already in the can. The toys did come out and were a hit though. That might be one of the only examples of a major '80s film success that didn't crack all markets. It got its own video game (which had a strong thematic imitator in the Contra series -- also, anyone remember Alien Syndrome?), got the toys, got a ton of comic books, but didn't get the cartoon. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

Revenge of the Sith came out 16 years ago, so in theory Luke Skywalker should be well into his teens by now. Although none of Ewan McGregor, Joel Edgerton or Bonnie Piesse looks anywhere near as old as their characters did in Episode 4, so presumably it's only get to be set like 5 years after, and Tattooine's desert air really ages you somehow.

• 4 weeks later...

Episode 1 of the Bad Batch, some decent some bad.

I like that it starts off basically like another season of Clone Wars. We get Order 66 from another perspective and what happens on Kamino afterwards.

Thus far, I can't stand Omega. Grogu not she is. Hunter is so dimwitted he couldn't see or acknowledge what was happening with Crosshair right in front of him. Right off the bat, he clearly didn't trust Crosshair to tell him the truth, so why did he not anticipate what Crosshair was going to do and kept giving Crosshair ample opportunity to screw them all over?

I think the show's main problem is the dialogue. Characters are constantly stating the obvious and speaking rhetorically. Wrecker gets on my nerves at times. That said, I did like that one moment where he was messing with his little plushie and shoving it in Crosshair's face. That added a bit more visual texture to the group as characters.

I did like the extended length for the first episode. This is something I want to see Disney+ do more of. Old broadcasting formats need not apply on a streaming service. I've already seen the next episode, and it's also pretty long for an animated TV episode.

All that said, I'm not sure if they can get more than about 2 seasons for this storyline. On a personal level, I'm not invested in the mystery behind Omega, and that looks like it will be the central conceit of the show.

Since it was May the 4th and it was a Star Wars themed day in her school, the 8 year old was jazzed for Bad Batch and we went back to the Clone Wars episodes with them in it (start of the last season) that we'd skipped to get to Ahsoka. She got an episode and a half in, decided she made the right call to skip them in the first place, and wanted to watch more Legend of Korra instead, so that's that. I doubt we'll go back to the new show. So it goes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1