DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLING ON THE INTERNET NOT FROM THE NOW

RIPPA

10 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I am alternating (unintentionally) watching Mid South on Youtube and Peacock. Iceman King Parsons coming out to "We Are Family" is throwing me for a loop. That's quite a choice.

He must have been a big fan of the 1979 World Series Champion Pittsburgh Pirates! 

• Like 3

My favorite territorial music choice was Dutch Mantel coming out to Luckenbach, Texas, a song that is entirely about rekindling your relationship with your wife, for his barbed wire match with Jerry Lawler.

21 hours ago, odessasteps said:

That’s Steve “Do it to It” Cox, if you please. 😀

LOOOL every damn time I read his name, I hear that in  my mind.  Wasn't that Hayes' nickname for him when he sort of relaunched as Hayes' protege? 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Did Iceman still come out to Sister Sledge once he turned heel? I don't remember. 

If he didn't, he should have. That's heat, brother.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mister TV said:

He must have been a big fan of the 1979 World Series Champion Pittsburgh Pirates! 

You will probably not be shocked to learn that "fan of real pro sports" Jim Ross referenced the 1979 Pirates on commentary a few times during Iceman's entrances in this era.

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Did Iceman still come out to Sister Sledge once he turned heel? I don't remember. 

He kept coming to it for a couple of weeks before switching to Janet Jackson's "Control" as his heel entrance music.

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

Subbed.  Thanks!!!

Thanks for the sub. Be on the lookout for my next upload 3 to 10 years from now when I want to link to something here and realize "hey, why isn't THIS on Youtube!"

Other UWF 1987 music note: Sam Houston is entering the ring to Thin Lizzy's "Cowboy Song" which immediately made me care about him 1,000 times more than I ever cared about him anywhere else.

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, clintthecrippler said:

You will probably not be shocked to learn that "fan of real pro sports" Jim Ross referenced the 1979 Pirates on commentary a few times during Iceman's entrances in this era.

He kept coming to it for a couple of weeks before switching to Janet Jackson's "Control" as his heel entrance music.

If all this was his choice, I would love to hear his goddamn playlist.

Thanks for the sub. Be on the lookout for my next upload 3 to 10 years from now when I want to link to something here and realize "hey, why isn't THIS on Youtube!"

Other UWF 1987 music note: Sam Houston is entering the ring to Thin Lizzy's "Cowboy Song" which immediately made me care about him 1,000 times more than I ever cared about him anywhere else.

That seems more like an ECW type choice, but certainly in a different era, that gets you over to the crowd even if you yourself cannot.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

guessing that "Mammas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be Cowboys" hasn't been used often as music on wrestling shows?

Fun fact: "Mommas don't let your babies grow up to be Cowboys" was released exactly 18 years before "Where have all the Cowboys gone?".

• Haha 2

I read one of the old DVDVRs (as explained in main thread) and our late, great benefactor reviewed this undoubtedly awesome show. It features Frank Shamrock, Josh Barnett, and freakin' TOSHIAKI KAWADA doing shootstyle! The main is Barnett vs. Tamura FFS. If that doesn't appeal, it's also apparently got a Predator vs. Montanha Silva-level atrocity of a match between two clueless oafs which DEAN eviscerated. Fun!

https://archive.org/details/u-style-20051123-axis

Also, because he brought up SUWA fighting Kikuchi in NOAH, here's this: Low-Ki, Mushiking Joker & SUWA vs Mohammed Yone, Tsuyoshi Kikuchi & Dakota 3/5/06. I have no idea who Mushiking Joker or Dakota are. You also get Low-Ki in NOAH? Alright, sign me up. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYRKwhC1kak

8 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I read one of the old DVDVRs (as explained in main thread) and our late, great benefactor reviewed this undoubtedly awesome show. It features Frank Shamrock, Josh Barnett, and freakin' TOSHIAKI KAWADA doing shootstyle! The main is Barnett vs. Tamura FFS. If that doesn't appeal, it's also apparently got a Predator vs. Montanha Silva-level atrocity of a match between two clueless oafs which DEAN eviscerated. Fun!

https://archive.org/details/u-style-20051123-axis

Also, because he brought up SUWA fighting Kikuchi in NOAH, here's this: Low-Ki, Mushiking Joker & SUWA vs Mohammed Yone, Tsuyoshi Kikuchi & Dakota 3/5/06. I have no idea who Mushiking Joker or Dakota are. You also get Low-Ki in NOAH? Alright, sign me up. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYRKwhC1kak

Joker was Ricky Marvin. Mushiking Terry was Kotaro Suzuki.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is obviously being posted this week to capitalize on a more salacious story, but this was still an interesting watch, KATU-TV in Portland posting a 1985 local talk show appearance on their station by Billy Jack Haynes and Sgt. Slaughter with a run-in by the Road Warriors to promote that night's show at the Portland Memorial Coliseum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvGNKeDYa48

And the match itself - The Road Warriors vs Sgt Slaughter and Billy Jack Haynes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7-w-v9V5Zc

• Like 1