DVDVR Message Board

2017 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

JLSigman

So i beat Nier: Automata. Spoilers ahead!

Spoiler

Except it turns out i haven't beat Nier Automata yet. I was a little disappointed when the credits hit. I'd only put 16 hours into it and i was expecting it to be one of those games that takes much longer. But it seems the first playthrough is just the first 'route' of several. I'm guessing this route wont take as long since i did a whole bunch of quests during my first run (i assume you don't have to repeat them?) and know where i am going and what i am doing this time for the most part. It's an interesting way to extend the length of the game.

As for the game itself? I've really enjoyed it so far. I wouldn't say it's game of the year like some seem to be but there's definitely something 'special' about it. The combat isn't exactly complicated but i like how the playstyle changes in different areas to keep it fresh. All the main characters and enemies look great when the scenery is a little bland but it all works some how. The's just something about it that keeps me playing when if this was any other game i'd have probably got bored with it by now. I'm back at work next week so i wont have as much time to put into it as I've had over the past few days but i think it will keep me occupied for some time now.

3 hours ago, Shane said:

100%'ed Lego City Undercover last night. Not sure what to play next. Sorta wish, despite knowing better, that Watch Dogs was the free Gold game for the *first* half of the month, as that sorta game is what I'm in the mood for right now...

Read my and J.T.'s struggles with Watch Dogs. You SURE you want to do it next?

3 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

Read my and J.T.'s struggles with Watch Dogs. You SURE you want to do it next?

That's where the "despite knowing better" part of my post comes in, I guess. It would be nearly impossible to derive more entertainment from that game as I did reading about J.T. banging his head against it!

Maybe I'll just do the free Game Pass trial instead and see if anything catches my eye. I mean, I never did get around to playing much more than the first half hour or so of Bioshock, for instance. 

Watch Dogs was a fine but flawed game. The middle dragged but I actually did beat it, and since I only finish about 20% of the games I start it couldn't have been too bad. It got a bad rap like Alpha Protocol did but Watch Dogs did a lot of things that were enjoyable.

I demand you all beat Dragon Quest VII as intend. On the PSX(Not the PSOne) with no upgrades and improvements found on the new version. YOU WILL PUT 140 hours into it or I will hunt you down. Also, you will fight and beat God a bunch of times. Is that still in it? Did you do that Mr. 88? I think there's another hidden post-game boss battle. Also, you have to get the best possible island with all the cool junk! Note, I played it on emulator and ffwded the hell out of all the grinding which is like 9000% of the game, so I'm a coward, but you can be a hero and do it on the PSX! It may take a few years.

I recall beating the game, but I never battled God. My older brother on the hand did do the crazy grinding and god fighting. On the flip side I ddid do that type of shit for VIII or at least attempted it. The post game boss was pretty damn hard. Honestly, the only secret mega-boss shit I've ever done in full was the Weapons in FFVII, and I still have no idea why I tried that shit. I'm curious how that will play out in the remake.

7 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Watch Dogs was a fine but flawed game. The middle dragged but I actually did beat it, and since I only finish about 20% of the games I start it couldn't have been too bad. It got a bad rap like Alpha Protocol did but Watch Dogs did a lot of things that were enjoyable.

Watch Dogs is a fun game besides the handling of most of the cars, which becomes moot after a while since you will be fast traveling around the map.

Poe and JT ran into frustration because they are 100% completionists and some of the side activities are pretty much broken. 

I'm replaying San Andreas and am at the Catalina missions.  Now that's some shit that's gonna make you want to break your controller.  Stuck using gimmicky vehicles with bad controls while someone is literally screeching at you that you suck.

29 minutes ago, Neil Koch said:

Watch Dogs is a fun game besides the handling of most of the cars, which becomes moot after a while since you will be fast traveling around the map.

Poe and JT ran into frustration because they are 100% completionists and some of the side activities are pretty much broken. 

I'm replaying San Andreas and am at the Catalina missions.  Now that's some shit that's gonna make you want to break your controller.  Stuck using gimmicky vehicles with bad controls while someone is literally screeching at you that you suck.

Oh. Yea I've never 100% completed anything. I think I only have like three Gold trophies. I only play/do things that are enjoyable so anything that feels grindy or broken I just move on to a different part of the game or a different game altogether. I'm a simple person.

What about the Watch Dogs Drinking Game Drinking Game where you have to take a shot every time you screw up. How long before you'd be in the ER with a stomach pump?

San Andreas is the only GTA game I bothered to 100%, just because people like pretending Zero's missions are hard.

The photography collectable one is really a good example of "Things Designed To Promote FAQ's, come on nobody did this without one".

1 hour ago, Death From Above said:

San Andreas is the only GTA game I bothered to 100%, just because people like pretending Zero's missions are hard.

The photography collectable one is really a good example of "Things Designed To Promote FAQ's, come on nobody did this without one".

Even worse is that the first version of the Prima Guide for San Andreas had the photo locations in the wrong fucking spots on the map.  I'm still mad about that.

I've been playing a lot of Marvel Heroes on PS4.  It never really clicked with me on PC but playing with a controller feels a lot better.

• Like 1

San Andreas was the last game of any sort I got 100% on.  It also had the hardest thing I've ever done in a game, though I can't remember if it was required for 100% - getting gold on all the damn driving school lessons.  The hard one wasn't the one everybody bitches about, the drive across town and back one.  I got that in maybe 10 tries.  The hard one was the five laps on a small oval.  Getting gold on that took me so long CJ went from totally buff to totally skinny and needing to go get a burger to avoid starving to death.  There's zero chance I'd even try that sort of thing now.

16 hours ago, Ryan said:

I demand you all beat Dragon Quest VII as intend. On the PSX(Not the PSOne) with no upgrades and improvements found on the new version. YOU WILL PUT 140 hours into it or I will hunt you down. Also, you will fight and beat God a bunch of times. Is that still in it? Did you do that Mr. 88? I think there's another hidden post-game boss battle. Also, you have to get the best possible island with all the cool junk! Note, I played it on emulator and ffwded the hell out of all the grinding which is like 9000% of the game, so I'm a coward, but you can be a hero and do it on the PSX! It may take a few years.

I just learned about that stuff and I'm weighing whether or not I want to mess with it at all. I'm perfectly content with the ending I got and I don't know that I'll get that much out of just doing the grinding stuff.

Also, since you're like one of the two people that would understand how silly my build is, my character classes for the end fight were Pirate (Barbo (my main character)), Hero (Ruff), Paladin (Mervyn) and Gladiator (Aishe). I did get Luminary open and maxed out on Aishe so she had all that weird dance shit in there but honestly by the end of the game my strategy was just Barbo and Aishe taking turns Mustering Strength and Swinging, while the other two Healed or reupped Oomph.

All I did was just grind and grind and grind and grind until I had tons of OP, by the game standards, characters and still barely won anyway because that is how DQ games are. Roto be praised.

• Like 1

Thanks to Humble's monthly mystery bundle, I now have Brigador (which just recently got a writeup on HG101), Stellaris, Superhot and Plague Inc  Evolved, all of which were things that I'd been looking at but never made it onto my Steam wishlist.  So far I've only really played Superhot, and it's a pretty cool little puzzle shooter, though the Dark Secrets of the story mode feel awfully obvious after only 5 minutes of digging.

That's a fair point with some of the stuff they do, but I hadn't really noticed for the simple reason that I rarely get into something like a Total War to the point that it'd bother me to be missing expansion packs.  I tend to be way more interested in the $20 games, and I don't think I've ever had a month where I didn't get my money's worth.  But then, I tend to be a lot more easy going about bundles and PS+ than a lot of people here.

I officially cannot imagine ever playing Plague Inc on mobile, I'd lose track of everything immediately.

Got my 81st Platinum with Kill Strain, an online only multiplayer game that was barely open for a year, is shutting down on July 1st,  and is not worth pursuing. The regulars in the game are so overpowered and toxic and they deserve to have their game shut down.

• Like 1