DVDVR Message Board

2017 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

JLSigman

16 hours ago, Neil Koch said:

You don't really see anything when you pick up the Playboys or Vargas posters.  You have to go into a sub-menu of the options screen to see them.  And you still have to flip through articles in some of the Playboys to see the good parts :)

That makes me feel a little better.  I thought it was a thing like when you switch to Trevor in GTA5 and you get a sick feeling in your stomach when the scene shifts to the airspace over his trailer.

"Please, God.  Let him be in the kitchen drinking a beer."

There is one mission in a bath house where you see two dudes going at it that was kinda shocking.  There is also one in a swingers club where I managed to force out the naked patrons into the street and use them for cover as I escaped. 

But probably the more extreme content is the violence (beat the game last night and the main boss gets killed in a very visceral way) and the language, especially if you are sensitive to racial slurs.  It fits in with the game's context and doesn't feel exploitative but it is pretty jarring at times.

Oh and there are multiple endings depending on how you handle your underbosses and the aftermath of taking out the mob.  I don't think there's a way to do multiple save files so you kind of have to pick a path and stick with it.  Also if you don't give territories to  the underbosses in a specific way, I don't think you can fully upgrade your character.

1 hour ago, Neil Koch said:

There is one mission in a bath house where you see two dudes going at it that was kinda shocking.  There is also one in a swingers club where I managed to force out the naked patrons into the street and use them for cover as I escaped. .

Trust me. I don't shock that easily.  I am more offensensitive for the people around me that are watching me game.

1 hour ago, Neil Koch said:

But probably the more extreme content is the violence (beat the game last night and the main boss gets killed in a very visceral way) and the language, especially if you are sensitive to racial slurs.  It fits in with the game's context and doesn't feel exploitative but it is pretty jarring at times.

Yeah, it is set in America during the most racially turbulent part of our nation's history and the anti-hero is Creole, so I am good with the fact that racial slurs will zing through the air and some will be aimed at Lincoln Clay.

I am comforted by the fact that unlike most black people during that period in time, Lincoln Clay will be armed with a shotgun at all times.

• Like 2

Spike Chunsoft media event is at 5PM Pacific this evening, but won't be streamed anywhere, apparently. Follow their Twitter for the scoop, I suppose? Or just go into the City and try to crash their press conference, if you are local. I would go, but I have stuff at work that I have to get done or the rest of my month will be uber-fucked.

That's somewhat ominous. Cue a sequel to the 360 avatar game! Also, I'm awaiting the first Zelda contrarian review that proclaims No Man's Sky is far superior.

5 minutes ago, Craig H said:

No one cares that we started talking about Fire Pro in the Wrestling Games thread.

Because it was being discussed here before there and that subject title would scream HEY GUYS!!! WE MOVED THE FIRE PRO TALK TO HERE!

You should have just started a new thread

Well, I finished The Walking Dead season one. It was a bit... the final chapter was about confronting the player with all the choices he's made throughout the game and how they had bad consequences for people. BUT a lot of those choices were ones that I had chosen against, and the NPCs I was with overruled me because that's how the game is written. So it kind of fell flat, they were trying to say "You have done evil deeds" when in almost every case it was the lesser of two evils that I chose. I think in terms of development houses that get credit for their storytelling, on this evidence Telltale is lagging a good way behind Bioware and Naughty Dog. And that's bad, because Bioware and Naughty Dog make actual good games with gameplay in them, whilst Telltale makes (slightly) interactive movies. Speaking of which, left thumbstick to move, right thumbstick to aim, and X to attack? I've only got one thumb on my right hand! Was this game playtested by mutants?

Then I started on Dragon Age: Inquisition. It pissed me off right away because I've played Origins and 2 on this very PS3 I'm playing Inquisition on, but it still refused to import my worldstate from those two games and said I had to go to the keep and manually enter every decision I made over two games. I could understand that for everyone who changed console generation between games, but I didn't. Pisses me off. Makes me feel like playing the first two was a waste of time. Good job saving the world, but if you hadn't saved the world, someone else would have come along and saved it anyway. 

Got my 72nd Platinum with SOCOM 4. Keep in mind, the Platinum is unobtainable since the multiplayer servers shut down in 2014. I want to punch whoever designed the squadmate AI for this game. All the squadmates leave you to die or get scared and don't actually shoot enemies with their guns.

Horizon update: Seven hours in. There are a couple of early plot twists and then the world completely opens up. The structure of the game is interesting in that the first twenty minutes are spent in a very specific scene and the next two or three hours are spent gated off from most of the world until you advance the plot enough. Once you do that, the world is yours.

It's a heck of a world, too, designed to let you approach enemy encounters in any number of ways, and the tools that you have at your disposal are pretty danged varied. The narrative is actually pretty strong, too. This is my early front-runner for personal game of the year. Of course, it's early and this year is going to be insane, but Horizon is one of the few games that I chose to run out and buy at sixty bucks, and I don't even mind that it will be half that in six months. It was worth full price to play it now. 

I RESTARTED MY GAME OF DIVINITY ORIGINAL SIN - So now that we're in this world where Tyranny and Pillars and Torment are out, I can't say that Divinity is doing shit developers don't do anymore. What I can say is that I still feel like I have a LOT left to see in Divinity, so much so that I have no interest in the immediate future of checking out those other games. I love how just completely stupid Divinity is, especially if you take a class that can talk to animals (Witch or Pathfinder, I think are the default ones). I have a Cleric and a Witch, and I'm rolling with the Ranger and Knight allies cuz balance.

DRAGON QUEST 7 ON 3DS [4] - So I didn't say I was gonna play all the Dragon Quests in order. I tried to start up 2 and just bounced off it because I need something a little faster, and I also needed something I could play when I was trying to lay down and stretch out my busted up leg. This game is fucking fantastic. It feels so totally different from 5 (my current favorite) in that where 5 is entirely about like growing up to live up to your father, it took me about 8 hours until a grownup said something that didn't make me feel that they totally sucked. I can only imagine the happy Japanese households that created back in the day. Dragon Quest rules.

BATTLEFIELD 1 [3] - I wanted to feel small, and this accomplishes that wonderfully. I also got it for half off, so, yeah. $30 to run around with buddies and go on misadventures? Worth the price. I might even pay for one of those cheat packs, just because I know I'm not gonna play long enough to actually earn any of that stuff. 2017: I Don't Give A Fuck, Get Me To The Fun.

HITMAN UPDATE and quick recap because I'm reviewing this level by level
Paris [4]; Sapienza [3]
Marrakesh [2] - I eventually asked for a friend's advice on how to get through this level because it's just so dense and weird. Once he clued me into where the weird shit actually was, I had a much better time. I'll say that if instead of getting the complete pack, I was buying these episode by episode, I probably would've washed out here.
Best Kill: I obtained a secret codeword that lured one of my targets into a secret bunker. I knocked his two guards out with soda cans while he was on the phone, throttled him, then set him on fire with the gas can next to his body.

also i got back into fire pro because of the excitement around the world announcement, just so I can get my feet under me and get ready for THE FUTURE~~ etc.

It helps that the pacing in DQ7 is insanely better than it is in the PSX original, that game took FOREVER. I think I played it for 120 hours and that was with fast forwarding during all the grinding. Which was probably 25 hours itself.

DQ7 is probably my favorite in the series even when it was slower paced on the PSX. I really should get back to the 3DS version soon. I still need to pick up the 3DS version of DQ8 for thta matter though I will probably wait for that one with MEA coming out this month.

I beat 1+2 and i wanna say 3(which was 1 in timeline) translated for the snes as well as 5 and 7. Good times, so much grinding.

I love Dragon Quest but despite the 3DS remakes looking good and DQVIII PS2 sitting unplayed on my shelf I know that I could only sensibly set aside enough of my life to play one more and I can never be certain which one that should be. It doesn't help that at this point I'm having trouble distinguishing which ones I've already played.

In between boosting trophies for hours on end, I'm also playing through Horizon: Zero Dawn. A lot of the game reminds me of Tomb Raider (2013). The story so far is surprisingly emotional. I just finished a side quest with Oletha and Brom and that was also intensely moving.

The only drawback is the loot isn't very exciting and mostly weapon mods.

Got Hitman: Complete First Season coming in the mail and tempted to get Ghost Recon Wildlands, Nier Automata and Atelier Firis from Amazon but by the time I get to them they will be less than $40.

Anyone played River City Ransom Underground (the Kickstarted, officially-licensed-from-Arc game that launched on Steam this week) yet? Having just finished Tokyo Rumble I like the idea of divorcing Alex and Ryan from Kunio and Riki a little more and splitting the timeline, but I am deeply suspicious of Kickstarted fan-games.

I bought in on the Kickstarter and only played it for ~15 minutes. Seemed alright but the rad looking combos and throws have to be unlocked from what I gather. Just lots of punching and kicking until then.