DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] 2017 UPCOMING MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT...

At first, I just focused on Colin Firth and I wondered if it would be hologram Colin Firth or if he survived getting shot.

Then I looked again and saw ELTON JOHN and CHANNING FUCKING TATUM and JEFF BRIDGES!

IN THE SAME MOVIE!

I'll be there opening weekend.

• Like 2

Warner Brothers is looking at Jordan Peele to helm the live action version of Akira.

Get Out was fucking awesome and all, but Akira?  That's a really different animal.

57 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Dark Tower is flip-flopping release dates with the Emoji Movie

So instead of July 28 - it is coming out Aug 4

So they get Dark Tower out of the way of Atomic Blonde, but also send Emoji Movie to die against whatever that Disney movie is going to be.

It appears that they don't anymore

Disney released a list in 2015 that included the July 28 spot

But this article - http://www.darkhorizons.com/disney-2017-slate-has-just-eight-films/ - says they had a release in January with all their 2017 releases on the July 28 wasn't on it

July 28th and December 22nd had previously been marked out for untitled live-action Disney fairytale films, but there’s no sign of them on the schedule and no hint of one being ready for those dates at present. The late December one could still be taken up at a later time though with “Episode VIII” the week before – the studio won’t really need to.

Also Cars 3 is coming out on July 14 so I highly doubt they would release another Animated film two weeks later

And funnily enough - they just updated their release dates again today

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/feature/a824808/disney-movie-schedule-2017-2018-2019-star-wars-marvel-live-action-remake/?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

No July 28 spot... which might be why The Emoji Movie jumped into the animated void

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Also Cars 3 is coming out on July 14 so I highly doubt they would release another Animated film two weeks later

Moot point, but the July 28th one would not have been animated.

edit: Just realized, Cars 3 is actually coming out on June 16!

On 3/31/2017 at 0:15 AM, J.T. said:

Warner Brothers is looking at Jordan Peele to helm the live action version of Akira.

Get Out was fucking awesome and all, but Akira?  That's a really different animal.

I think it's the system deciding to punish him for Get Out. Carrot and the stick. He's obviously smart and he should run, not walk, away from the carrot. 

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

I think it's the system deciding to punish him for Get Out. Carrot and the stick. He's obviously smart and he should run, not walk, away from the carrot. 

Considering what the industry has done to other black directors, I highly doubt this is punishment at least in this case. IIRC WB is one of the few studios trying the whole diversity thing out by helping emerging directors. They're giving him another shot after the cat movie didn't work out that well so it's somewhat commendable. Plus, he might be one of the few people wanting to direct a live action Akira film. The number of black people they allow to direct big budget films is finite. I'm as skeptical as they come (especially on this forum), but I can't be mad if that's the project he wants to take. If this doesn't work out, he has smaller indie studios and Netflix or Amazon to fall back on who wouldn't have as many qualms about doing a moderately budgeted, socially relevant film.

I was being somewhat sarcastic in my remark but also serious. Nobody should direct Akira and Peele needs to make something original instead. There's no way this will go well. Peele has imagination for days but asking him to be at the helm of Akira is like asking him to be at the helm of the Titanic because no matter what comes out, it'll be shat upon from a great height by the fanboys. Yet at the same time, the opportunity... you can't blame him, certainly. 

28 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I was being somewhat sarcastic in my remark but also serious. Nobody should direct Akira and Peele needs to make something original instead. There's no way this will go well. Peele has imagination for days but asking him to be at the helm of Akira is like asking him to be at the helm of the Titanic because no matter what comes out, it'll be shat upon from a great height by the fanboys. Yet at the same time, the opportunity... you can't blame him, certainly. 

The thing is the likelihood of his next film getting a ton of criticism is pretty high. You make one half decent film (and especially one that did well at the B.O.)  and everyone expects you to replicate that success. To me, Get Out wasn't even that dangerous (the fact it didn't make white people run for the hills says that) so I can't really expect a studio to give him more money for something even edgier. There are films like that directed and/or produced by more notable names than Jordan Peele that didn't do that well. Shit, I thought the Drop Squad (produced by Spike Lee at the height of his powers) was more on the ball than Get Out in terms of race and like seven people saw that film back in the day. When you hit people hard with truth (especially with topics no one wants to touch), it shows in the box office numbers and the reviews.

The fanboy criticism is going to suck, but the insane expectations that will arise after Get Out is only going to fuel the fire. I don't believe Peele is the modern day Oscar Micheaux since he's still the dude from Mad TV to me, but I think he has enough talent to make it back when he falters. He already did it once in less than a year.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

With Ghost in the Shell flopping(so far anyway) as bad as it did, I imagine Akira may not be such a hot project soon.

Good point, if Ghost is regarded as a failure in the industry this might be Akira Attempt #3378937 that falls on its face. 

And I had no idea this existed and want to watch it now

• Like 1