DVDVR Message Board

SMACKDOWN IS JAMES ELLSWORTH IS THE NEW LINEAR CHAMP!!!

RIPPA

That Styles Clash was nasty.  Considering how many times AJ has done that move safely, you'd think guys would know how to take it properly. but nope.  My first thought was "Oh, crap.  AJ just accidentally killed a guy on live tv."

AJ's promo was great.  He's really killing it as a smarmy heel.  Did he get this much better, or was he just booked badly, cause TNA turned him heel a couple times and the results were never that good.  Until about 2014, I was convinced AJ made a great fiery babyface and an average heel.

Watched the show after the Cubs game ended.  I'd like to thank whoever booked the show for throwing four guys I care nothing about into the main event, so I could get to bed a bit earlier.  Man, I remember when I dug Orton's psycho heel act so much.  Then Legacy broke up and they turned him into a bored babyface. 

Dean deserves a lot of credit for making the AJ/Ellsworth thing interesting.

Becky is sorely missed.

Orton/Bray is still dragging the show down into the dumps. I wish they'd let Harper do something else.

The Spirit Squad stuff is also awful. Miz has been good lately (although not nearly as good as he's hyped around here), but this feud is boring.

Alpha/Usos is fun, although the Usos new jeans are nearly as bad as their old garbage bag trunks.

Also, Mauro had some downright horrific plugs and pop culture references, even more than usual.

It's kind of amazing that AJ was able to look down and see what was happening while he was doing the move and make that adjustment mid air to land on his feet instead of his knees and save the guy's freaking life.

Saving a life mid-match, too, is March Madness worthy. Ball is in your court, Miz.

• Like 3

It's also the way Ellsworth won that makes it not a burial. AJ got a visual tap out and a 37-count pin-fall before eating 2 finishers from the former WWE Champ and having the still-unconscious-from-the-Styles-Clash thrown on top of him for a fast count. It's not a burial, it's fun "heel gets his comeuppance" booking.

• Like 2

Yeah, no one is angry about Ellsworth getting a victory when AJ is just a great heel that a loss like that is great story telling. In all honesty, when AJ inevitably beats Ambrose clean, they just noted that AJ can and will kick out of Dirty Deeds. 

So like, I like Bliss because she is such a prize when it comes to face expressions. She is so over the top and has a lot of upside in wrestling ability, but...look Naomi needed a title 2 years ago.She had a shit gimmick after shit gimmick. Finally got a good gimmick in Team Bad that went nowhere because WWE wanted to push the basic white girls and the Bellas. So yeah, consider me rooting for Naomi because she probably has the most refreshing arsenal in women's wrestling save for the ass stuff which is annoying and I don't know why she insists on doing it. Becky is like 21 and is obviously more responsible than Paige so she will survive.

...I can't watch the Wyatts. I just can't. Like I got so much I would rather do in my time than watch the Wyatts. Or Randy Orton. Or Kane. Like could they just replace this whole segment with the cruiserweight division? The only upside here is the feud between AJ Styles to which I say is a great march waiting to happen. Randy style is horrible with people who are WWE trained because he is boring as fuck. But AJ being AJ and Randy having great timing could be MOTY worthy.

And I will have a fucking fit if Samoa Joe goes to Raw. They barely have enough to fit with the daily Steph "Am I a Heel or a Face...no I am a strong independent white woman that not only exceeds gender expectations but also morality because I am this complicated character" 20 minute routine and Mick looking like a white knighting jackass. They can barely fit Sami Zayn, Cesaro, and Adrian Nelville there. Shit, Kevin Ownes would have been in the same situation if it weren't for Finn Balor getting hurt.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kyuubi said:

So like, I like Bliss because she is such a prize when it comes to face expressions. She is so over the top and has a lot of upside in wrestling ability, but...look Naomi needed a title 2 years ago.She had a shit gimmick after shit gimmick. Finally got a good gimmick in Team Bad that went nowhere because WWE wanted to push the basic white girls and the Bellas. So yeah, consider me rooting for Naomi because she probably has the most refreshing arsenal in women's wrestling save for the ass stuff which is annoying and I don't know why she insists on doing it. Becky is like 21 and is obviously more responsible than Paige so she will survive.

Not to be pedantic, but Becky is 29--a year older than Naomi, actually. Though the latter does deserve a run eventually, I agree. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sammo~! said:

Well I guess that explains that. I'm wondering if the payoff is that WWE never rehired Curt in the first place and he's just showing up and sneaking into the production truck to play his own vignettes.

Like that Max Headroom signal hack. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Z said:

I'm not sure, if we're being trolled here or if the WWE is trolling Hawkins.

I've pretty much felt it's the latter since the whole thing began. Like they're making him pay for telling that "Vince thought Michael Tarver was Shelton Benjamin" story in his shoot...

Just now, Beech27 said:

Not to be pedantic, but Becky is 29--a year older than Naomi, actually. Though the latter does deserve a run eventually, I agree. 

Becky is like a really good looking 29 year old woman. Because when Fin said she trained her at like 16, I was thinking that was like a few years ago because she is like so young looking. A lot of WWE superstars are now, but Becky looked like she was straight out of high school.

Thanks.

10 hours ago, bazzil said:

He must have been listening to Austins podcast.

Next week:  Skandar Akbar gets a mention

10 hours ago, alstein said:

JBL makes a ton of World Class references- it's what he grew up watching.    Waiting for the Iceman King Parsons reference.

I believe he's already mentioned both of these, Skandar I can remember at least twice before. Not complaining, just think it's amusing when he does it. I'll never tire of Texas references from him. Another gem from the other week was the Swagger/Oklahoma joke he made when he said Swagger was the valedictorian of his high school because he knew how to read.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

3o6Ztddui19ABBUQ7e.gif

He IS telling them how to take this thing, yes? 

In all likelihood.  At the very least, Styles is telling him COME ON! to get Ellsworth to put himself in the right position. I think Styles did something similar with Ambrose, though Dean had much better form than this to where AJ could land normally.

I didn't realize this at the time - but AJ also lets go of his legs right before impact so that allows Ellsworth to go a little more limp too.

Again - I don't know how AJ knew but he knew to abort.