DVDVR Message Board

Games of Thrones Unsullied thread

elizium

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Did anyone see that Twitter thread over the weekend about a panel that David Benioff and D.B. Weiss did?  It is amazing that the show was even half as good as it was.  It's pretty clear that they had no idea what they were doing and had very little interest in actually making the kind of show they were making.  They have a general disdain for all things fantasy, and admittedly had no clue whatsoever what they were doing.  For instance, two months before the pilot, episodes were an average of 39 minutes until HBO told them, they needed to write and film 100 minutes just to fulfill their contract.  They also admit that they didn't understand the characters and relied on the actors to fill them out.  They also had no experience whatsoever.   It's just weird.

55 minutes ago, J.T. said:

You'd think that anyone using the hashtag #DnD would know something about fantasy settings, right?

Once I read the thread, I feel like we should have seen some of this stuff.  I was pretty critical of how they presented a lot of the stuff that happened after they moved past the books and I feel like their disdain for the more fantastical moments are a huge part of it. 

DnD letting the actors take reigns of their characters makes me believe that Lena Headey needs to be working more.  Show Cersei is a different, and in my opinion, better villain than she was in the books.  In the books, she's pretty much an incapable, insane person, who only has power because she was born in the right family.  Tyrion is capable, Tywin is capable, Jamie is capable, but Cersei is a huge liability to the Lannister cause.  Show Cersei is overly capable, ruthless, and holds on to power with a glass of wine in her hand and a smirk on her face.  She is full of earned confidence, because she knows she's willing to do whatever it takes to keep the throne and everyone else has a line they won't cross.  It also probably means that Bran's blank face non-acting could have been avoided.  Seriously, I really don't want to know what the show would have been if the cast was 20% less talented.  

Wow. That whole thread and all of the replies from others. Holy shit. It's a miracle the show wasn't cancelled or DnD weren't fired.

At this point, if you're Kevin Feige or Kathleen Kennedy, you can't let these assholes make a Star Wars trilogy. It just can't happen.

• Haha 1

On that note, I hope Lauren Hissrich is not in over her head for The Witcher.

I definitely got the sense for a while that Benioff and Weiss basically lucked into Game of Thrones. And now they are getting 9 figure paydays from Netflix. Will be curious to see what they deliver there ?

They are being paid on the strength of what they delivered with Game of Thrones, but can they really come up with someone even half as close to that again?

Edited by TheVileOne

4 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Wow. That whole thread and all of the replies from others. Holy shit. It's a miracle the show wasn't cancelled or DnD weren't fired.

At this point, if you're Kevin Feige or Kathleen Kennedy, you can't let these assholes make a Star Wars trilogy. It just can't happen.

I agree and disagree.  I think they are complete hacks as writers, but there is something to letting the talent be the talent that made Game of Thrones into something that was good to great more often than not.  I think they need a strong script supervisor who has the ability to edit/rewrite all their dumb ass ideas.

1 minute ago, TheVileOne said:

On that note, I hope Lauren Hissrich is not in over her head for The Witcher.

She actually has experience that makes me thinks she has an idea about how to run a show.  DnD were just dudes with an idea who everyone just let do whatever they wanted to do.  There aren't a lot of women who get to fake their way into jobs like that.

• Like 1

All power to the Twitter mob and everything, but I see everyone acting so angry and outraged over David Benioff and DB Weiss on Twitter like they should be in jail or some such. When all these same fans probably ate up their product for years. Like I see all these reactions "how could they do this?! How could they ruin Martin's work? How could they forsake fantasy genre and material?"

Well, I mean it worked didn't it? The Twitter outrage is condemning them for their instincts and decisions when pretty much every decision you now in hindsight loathed that they voiced at that AFF panel paid off. No one other than book fans really had these complaints for years. 

Edited by TheVileOne

I can understand the theorhetical desire to not go overboard on fantasy elements on a TV show, both for budget reasons and to make the elements you use more special. 

But not on a TV shown that is built on dragons and ice zombies. Let alone one that comes with a dedicated fan base. 

2 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I can understand the theorhetical desire to not go overboard on fantasy elements on a TV show, both for budget reasons and to make the elements you use more special. 

But not on a TV shown that is built on dragons and ice zombies. Let alone one that comes with a dedicated fan base. 

OK, but no one had anything to say about that for almost the entire run the show was on.

In the Marvel Netflix shows, a lot of things like this were the first thing to go. It always kind of annoyed me that we could never see Shou-Lao, K'un L'un or like, Iron Fist actually wearing a costume. If they completely remove the supernatural and costumed elements out of Moon Knight, I will be pissed.

30 minutes ago, Craig H said:

LOL Benioff and Weiss are off of Star Wars.

"Before we get started on anything else we'd like to talk about the third rape scene."

"The...third...what?"

"Did you not read our draft? Dave pull up that powerpoint."

"Which file? Reyrape.ppt?"

"No.  No. PoerapesMazKanata.ppt."

"Guys..."

"We're fired, aren't we?

"You're fired."

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Well, I mean it worked didn't it? The Twitter outrage is condemning them for their instincts and decisions when pretty much every decision you now in hindsight loathed that they voiced at that AFF panel paid off. No one other than book fans really had these complaints for years. 

This is a fraudulent argument.  You can't complain that people who didn't realize what was missing didn't complain about missing it.  There was a decent amount of pushback on their writing after they moved past the books by more than just book readers. Their instincts seem to move straight to sexual violence or just plain nonsense.  The show was good for the most part, but the parts people hated were pretty much hated by everybody.  That interview pretty much showed that they didn't have much of a clue outside of things that were already plotted out.  When they tried to fill in the gaps on their own, they generally came up with something that most people weren't satisfied with, not just book readers.  Everything lacked a level of nuance that was hard to ignore.

28 minutes ago, supremebve said:

This is a fraudulent argument.  You can't complain that people who didn't realize what was missing didn't complain about missing it.  There was a decent amount of pushback on their writing after they moved past the books by more than just book readers. Their instincts seem to move straight to sexual violence or just plain nonsense.  The show was good for the most part, but the parts people hated were pretty much hated by everybody.  That interview pretty much showed that they didn't have much of a clue outside of things that were already plotted out.  When they tried to fill in the gaps on their own, they generally came up with something that most people weren't satisfied with, not just book readers.  Everything lacked a level of nuance that was hard to ignore.

This is a well-crafted post.

2 hours ago, supremebve said:

And there was a hell of a lot of pushback to the pushback from their supporters and even this forum. 

Well, they're Netflix's problem now. 

https://ew.com/tv/2019/10/29/game-of-thrones-prequel-2/

Long Night spinoff got cancelled.