DVDVR Message Board

Games of Thrones Unsullied thread

elizium

1 hour ago, tigertooth said:

Yeah, they conveniently did a time skip over the period where the Unsullied and Dothraki reacted.  I wonder exactly what Jon did after leaving the throne room.  Did he immediately go and confess?  With no body and no murder weapon?  He could've said that Dany melted down the throne and flew off (she's randomly flown away before, so it's not implausible).  

YES.  THIS.  This was my greatest frustration with the finale as purely an episode of TV:  the most interesting conflict happened offscreen during the time jump.  Everything after that is just epilogue, really.  Did Jon turn himself in or try to escape?  How did Team Dany initially react?  What about all the Northmen, Davos, and Arya who were still in and around the city when it went down?  Did they have to fight their way out after Team Dany found out what happened?  Did they try to rescue Jon?  How did the rest of the realm respond to the entire fiasco in King's Landing?  And how did the Unsullied, and Grey Worm in particular, who have been nothing but killing machines under someone's command their whole lives, react to suddenly finding themselves in control of (the ruins of) a major city on the other side of the world?  What do they even really want at this point--the first time in their lives that it actually matters (because it's certainly not terribly clear during the negotiation)?

Edited by EVA
  • Like 1

I get not understanding where the Dothraki went. That, to me, is a huge lapse.  I like to imagine that they are sacking Highgarden and Bronn has to deal with it. 

I have no patience for people who think that Jon has the capacity or willingness to lie, especially about this. Did you actually watch the show?

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 1

I imagine that Grey Worm isn't stupid, he knows that after they just burned the Capital City to the ground, and knowing that no one really wanted them there (and honest, he didn't want to be there either), that killing Jon right off when surrounded in a country where there's more people that want him alive than dead is not a great proposition, and getting permission from whoever was going to be in charge is a better prospect than asking for forgiveness.  

There was a significant time jump.  They say that the city is surrounded by northern soldiers.  So basically what happens is Jon confesses and The Unsullied hold him and Tyrion captive but there is a standoff between them and the north.  If Grey Worm wants to get everyone the fuck out of there he has to choose to be diplomatic in this situation and not do anything too drastic. He's in a tough spot we again are left to fill in the gaps which is again why this conclusion shouldn't have been 13 episodes. Sailing off to protect Missandei's homeland seems like a fitting conclusion for him.  

I think most of the characters ended up where they needed to be it's the how we got there that is going to be the issue moving forward because this debate is just getting started. These last couple seasons will be debated around message boards for the next decade. 

Yeah, Grey Worm gives the number of Troops he has occuping the city and Sansa shoots off that she has exponentially more surrounding it so fighting their way out is not a realistic option.  Grey Worm at this point was only in it for the revenge and some remaining sense of purpose, and was already done with war before the Battle of Winterfell.  While duty called for executing Jon, doing so signed his and the Unsullied's Death Sentences, so let the people staying behind make the call and agreed with the solution that allowed him and his men to get the fuck out.

I imagine the remaining Dothraki were put on boats and shipped back to Essos, or they rode off and will be dealt with at some point.

A) You guys are having to carry all the water on this for Weiss & Benioff, which is not how good storytelling works.

B). This issue isn't whether it makes sense as a plot point without being shown, the issue is that it would have been an interesting and highly significant character beat to see Grey Worm work all this out for himself.  This is basically the denouement of his character arc (what little of one he was given):  He's finally free to choose for himself, so what's he going to do with it?  How does he react to this untenable situation he's been thrust into?  What's that experience like for him?  What does he really want out of this?  That's the shit that makes stories great, not plot math.

But they skipped it.  Probably, as with most of the issues this season, because they didn't give themselves enough episodes.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, EVA said:

:  He's finally free to choose for himself, so what's he going to do with it?  

Does he want to do anything with it?  The Unsullied have known nothing but combat since Dany broke the wheel way back when.... and they've never been happier.

What is the first thing that the Unsullied do after the war is pretty much over and they have true authorship over their own lives?  Set sail to Missandei's isle to "protect it."

In short, go someplace where it is highly likely they will find another fight.

Grey Worm is happiest when he is either fighting or preparing to fight.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

Compared to the two previous episodes, I'm not too mad about this one. . .but I do have some questions/comments/issues.

I'm sorry, but I never bought Jon's loyalty to Dany.  I can't see someone who lived his life to blindly follow someone who is nearly as problematic as her over the last season.  We kind of have to ignore that everything bad that happened to him for his entire life is because of a cruel or unfit leader.  He was treated as a bastard his entire life because one of his grandfathers burned his other grandfather alive instead of just telling him that their kids ran off and got married.  His foster father was beheaded by an evil king.  His brother, his brother's wife, and his brother's unborn child were murdered, because of cruel men negotiated his death for a title.  His sister was raped by a psychopath, because of a cruel man married her to a cruel man's son.  Why would Jon Snow of all people think that he owes undying loyalty to a ruler?  Any ruler?  It doesn't make any sense to me.

OK, so how did Jon survive long enough for the King's Moot or whatever that council was?  The Unsullied were ready to kill him in the street for questioning Grey Worm, but they want to talk about what to do when he kills the queen?  That's pretty unrealistic.

That King's Moot council was kind of ridiculous right?  First of all, who choose who was going to be on the council?  I want to know, because there were at least 3 people on the council I've never seen before...and that doesn't count the new prince of Dorne.  Sorry, but if you sat out all of this shit, you don't get an invite.  How did Sam get an invite?  Other than being Jon's best friend, why would anyone care what he thinks?  If Bronn is going to be the Lord of Highgarden, wouldn't he be on the council?  Of all the people on the Council, they all love Jon except for Grey Worm who doesn't seem like he has much of a say, and Yara who probably should have more alliance to Sansa and the Starks than Dany and the Targaryens.  Wouldn't they be loyal to him?  Why have a whole ass council if one dickless dude has more say than any of them?  Tyrion, who committed treason against the last two recognized leaders, gets to make the final decision.  Oh, and are you trying to tell me that it isn't mad suspicious for the one person who should be most loyal to Bran said, "Nope, fuck that," when he was named king?  Honestly, Bran is the King of the North by rights, so the North would just be kneeling to the Northern king which is what they want.  

Since when has Bronn been an accountant?

So, Arya is a sailor now?  Who is she sailing with?  She just expects to be able to sail west into uncharted waters and find her way back with no maritime experience?  That isn't even risky, that is just plain dumb.  The Ironborn, who are the best sailors on the entire continent and who probably wouldn't help Arya after she threatened to cut Yara's throat, don't sail west because it's too risky.  Where did she even get the boat?  The Starks don't own any boats, they live in completely landlocked Winterfell.  That's like me deciding I'm going to the moon.  I don't know the first thing about aviation, space travel, or a way to get there, but I'm going anyway.  

I kind of like Brienne as Lord Commander of the King's Guard, but Podrick doesn't want to go get some booty before he dedicates his life to guarding the king?  Seriously, Pod is probably 19 or so, he has time to go and sow his oats and get some "experience," before he joins the King's Guard.  

So, they sent Jon to the Wall, but when we get there it's nothing but Wildlings.  What did they actually send him up there to do?  Is he a deserter if he leaves?  Why not just go back to Winterfell.  It's a different country than the one that sentenced him, and the people who insisted he be punished are about to die on an island.  

So, all the Dothraki died in Winterfell, then came back to life to take King's Landing, and then died and or disappeared when Dany died.  Do I have that right?

2 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Does he want to do anything with it?  The Unsullied have known nothing but combat since Dany broke the wheel way back when.... and they've never been happier.

What is the first thing that the Unsullied do after the war is pretty much over and they have true authorship over their own lives?  Set sail to Missandei's isle to "protect it."

In short, go someplace where it is highly likely they will find another fight.

And get the fuck off the continent with years of snow and the possibility of Ice Zombies coming back.

What do you get if the Night King makes out with Melisandre?

A Snog of Ice and Fire.

Robin Arryn finally got his growth spurt. But nobody realised the youth in the white cloak was him.

2 minutes ago, Raziel said:

And get the fuck off the continent with years of snow and the possibility of Ice Zombies coming back.

And if they did come back, would the Unsullied help push the new threat back 

Probably not since they lost their beloved Mother of Dragons the last time they aided Westeros proper against the Ice Zombies.

5 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Does he want to do anything with it? 

Exactly my point!  We don't know!

Dramatize that shit so we can finally understand this character on a deeper level, rather than have to carry the writers' water for them in between plot points.

The King's Moot appeared to be all the Lords of the major noble houses left after a decade of 3 wars wiped a lot of Houses out, plus a few people that carried some weight due to status (Like Davos).  Sam get's a seat being the Last surviving Tarly (even though he's stuck to two oaths that should prevent him from having that title).  Dorne and whoever Dude in between Sam and Edmure should've been left out as they've done fuck all in the last 2 campaigns.  Tyrion was really the only person that knows he promised Bronn Highgarden if Dany won, and he hasn't been in the position to grant that title, so Bronn get's left off (although it's funny, Tyrion knew if he lived and this King play worked he would have to at least let the King know Bronn would be looking for the Title, yet he was going to stick the Unsullied under Bronn.)

17 minutes ago, EVA said:

A) You guys are having to carry all the water on this for Weiss & Benioff, which is not how good storytelling works.

Look, pal, this is first and foremost a wrestling board. This is how we watch ever Ric Flair match too, because he never puts in any storytelling connective tissue either. We're specially suited for this. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, EVA said:

Exactly my point!  We don't know!

Dramatize that shit so we can finally understand this character on a deeper level, rather than have to carry the writers' water for them in between plot points.

I think we know more about Grey Worm than we think we do.

Grey Worm suffered from the same gender crisis that most Unsullied went through, I imagine.  With their "manhood" gone, they used combat as their way to express their masculinity.

Missandei loved Grey Worm the person rather than Grey Worm the warrior and that turned his entire world upside down.

With her gone, Grey Worm has gone back to being an all in warrior and defining his life with violence and discipline with Missandei not being around to tell him jokes and make him laugh.

One of the true tragedies of the story.  His change in demeanor in the last couple of episodes was very much in character with a man that had lost the love of his life and didn't plan on trying to replace it by attempting to find love with a different woman that he will allow inside of his heart.

Once again, Grey Worm is married to his armor.

Edited by J.T.

I don't mind "carrying water" because not everything really needs spelling out and there are some places where it's easy in infer what happened off-page/screen. And really, did we need 20 minutes of Grey Worm and un-named Unsullied extras conversing about weither or not to kill 2 people that would kick off ANOTHER war, one that they were helplessly outnumbered, unsupplied, and on unfamilar turf?  Not really.  We can safely assume that Grey Worm is smarter, than Jon at least who of course would be the dumb ass to say "Yes, I killed her" when there was no proof around.

Grey Worm walks into the Throne room. "Where is the Queen?" "She got on her Dragon and flew away." "Why is there a big pool of blood on the floor?" "That was there when I  got here. That's been there for ages. Don't worry about it." "Why is your knife sheath empty? Where is your knife?" "I lost it a while ago" "You had it this morning. Why is the Throne all melted?" "The dog ate it?"

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Damn.

The writers lean so hard on Peter Dinklage to do most of the heavy lifting that episode. Somewhere in the second monologue sequence, I imagine the writers giving him a script titled, "Our thoughts on Game of Thrones" and turning a camera on.

Edited by _MJ_

1 minute ago, Raziel said:

I don't mind "carrying water" because not everything really needs spelling out and there are some places where it's easy in infer what happened off-page/screen. And really, did we need 20 minutes of Grey Worm and un-named Unsullied extras conversing about weither or not to kill 2 people that would kick off ANOTHER war, one that they were helplessly outnumbered, unsupplied, and on unfamilar turf?  Not really.  We can safely assume that Grey Worm is smarter, than Jon at least who of course would be the dumb ass to say "Yes, I killed her" when there was no proof around.

Again, you're talking about plot, I'm talking about character.  The point isn't whether or not that it's easy to infer what happened offscreen, the point is that it becomes a richer, more satisfying story when you go through it *with* the characters rather than plot mathing it after the fact.

I don't mind "assuming" things, so long as the assumptions are based on character.  But we simply don't know enough about Grey Worm to be assuming much of anything about how he would handle this situation.  He basically has 3 character traits:  1.  He's exceptionally good at war.  2.  He's fiercely loyal to Dany.  3.   He has the hots for Missendei.  That's pretty much it.  We have been given no solid reason to infer that he's all that wise or a clever person capable of deducing how to get out of this situation bloodlessly (or that he would even want to).  In fact, #1 and #2 would lead me to believe the opposite, that he would take immediate vengeance on Jon, slaughter what Northmen remained, and worry about fighting his way out later.

Which is not to say that *had* to be his choice, just that, as a writer, you really need to show your work to get to the outcome they went with.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

There was a significant time jump.

Not that significant. I think I remember that Tyrion said it was about 3 weeks.

44 minutes ago, _MJ_ said:

Damn.

The writers lean so hard on Peter Dinklage to do most of the heavy lifting that episode. Somewhere in the second monologue sequence, I imagine the writers giving him a script titled, "Our thoughts Game of Thrones" and turning a camera on.

As Matt said, it's a wrestling board. We know the best promo guys are best with bullet points, not a script. ?