DVDVR Message Board

I said this last week but they need to have Booker T model himself after the Tommy character from the iconic MARTIN tv show from the 90s.  He needs to wander the halls of WWE giving unsolicited advice to everyone yet no one is clear what his job is or how he keeps getting into arenas.

"You ain't got no job, Booker!"

• Like 2

The WWE is ruining Dolph Ziggler and it really pisses me off.

I think it's funny how Dustin can be gone from the spotlight for so long and still understand how wrestling works better than RVD.

I also don't get why they didn't let him get over a little on HHH during that interview.  He could have at least made him flinch a little by going full Golddust:

"I have nothing to lose here tonight...so when I'm done having my way with your face boy, I just might come backstage and give you the thrrrrrilllll everyone knows you've been waiiiiting for thpthpthtphtphtphtphtphtphtphtpht AHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

I'm not on the hate HHH train with the general booking, but I'm getting a little annoyed that he won't ever script anyone to at least get some verbal shots in...especially when it's guys like Dustin and Edge who have no "job" to lose. 

Edge got in a "married your way into power" crack. That's pretty good.  And Vic's main deal is this "doesn't have tenure to insult Lawler" deal, which is silly, in my opinion.

Oh and I loved "This Is Awkward!" during Heyman's examination.

I kind of think the WWE is actually trying to lure smart women into watching the program and not feeling like it's insulting trash. AJ's their conduit.

It all falls apart though it

1) They don't put her eventually in a feud with someone who can work, and make the feud about pride over who is better in the ring...even with some insider nods a la Cena/Bryan toward it being about who is the "better worker" or "real wrestler" or something.  I know everyone hates that stuff.  But for this, I'd allow it.

and

2) When she drops the belt, they have her show how much it means by having her scream and cry again...they need to move past that as the only way to make that title seem "important".

Lawler has put forty years in and is entitled to a degree of respect from people on the roster that have not even worked a decade. 

Lawler in Memphis is completely different than Lawler in the WWE. In Memphis, he was the king. In the WWE, he's a gross, fat old man who barely watches the shows he's announcing.

• Like 1

Lawler makes one of his always uncomfortable creepy comments.  AJ responds with the low-hanging fruit.  JBL gets mad.  AJ calmly deflects everything, makes actual funny jokes, and specifically points out that none of the three of them actually watch the damn product they are supposed to be selling, comes out looking great, while the three of them combined can come up with nothing better than "neck tattoo" jokes that fail miserably.

It was easily my favorite part of the whole show.

Despite having one of my top 5 or so favorite guys ever coming back to have a really good match with Randy Orton (who god damn has been re-motivated by this heel turn) and a really good Rollins/Bryan match.

• Like 3

Lawler has put forty years in and is entitled to a degree of respect from people on the roster that have not even worked a decade. 

And died on live television! We can't forget that. :mellow:

(and is also one of the best wrestlers that ever lived)

Exactly, was going to point that out. Less than a year ago he nearly died on TV. 

Lawler is due nothing.  Dude's been phoning in at this job for years.  History is for teachers and the WWE isn't school.

He has put his time in and is entitled to be shitty on commentary. Until he decides to retire. He is not going to hurt any angle or match that is decent. And her delivery was stilted and bad. People grade AJ on a curve because they wish she was good on the mic.  

Lawler in Memphis is completely different than Lawler in the WWE. In Memphis, he was the king. In the WWE, he's a gross, fat old man who barely watches the shows he's announcing.

Old people are entitled to be fat. Two years ago, he carried Miz to good matches. And shit if he was cleared to work in WWE, he would be one of the best on the roster. When AJ can still have good matches in her fifties and be super over. Then she can talk. 

• Like 1

Jerry Lawler, pro wrestler is a god.

Jerry Lawler, color commentator, especially the last decade or so, is an embarrassing, creepy, dirty old man who does a terrible job.  And AJ rubbed his face in that tonight, and it was glorious.

• Like 4

Shit, they should just give Dustin Dolph's spot at this point.

Posted Image

Quit this bullshit. Do you really think that the line shook Lawler at all? People have been making Lawler pedo jokes for over 15 years. 

Hope you never have a daughter that wants to pursue anything athletic.  Her ovaries are sure to get in the way of you taking her seriously.

I'm just listing the traditional role that belt has always played. You are making an issue of gender, which is bush league.

I have a bush, more or less.  So I'm hardly insulted by this idea.

And saying the women's division is a piss break is hardly gender-friendly.  Not that you're the only one who has ever said it, but most don't insult a diva for taking her job seriously.

Sod off with that white knighting shit.  It's pretty much always been a piss break.  And that's beecause WWE treat it like one. It's nothing to do with the fact they're women.

Isn't Burgundy LaRue a woman.

Despite having one of my top 5 or so favorite guys ever coming back to have a really good match with Randy Orton

This is really interesting to me. Dustin Rhodes is one of your top five favorite wrestlers? I thought he was great & really underrated in WCW but still, there's a lot of great wrestlers over the years. I'm curious who the four above him are now...

Despite having one of my top 5 or so favorite guys ever coming back to have a really good match with Randy Orton

This is really interesting to me. Dustin Rhodes is one of your top five favorite wrestlers? I thought he was great & really underrated in WCW but still, there's a lot of great wrestlers over the years. I'm curious who the four above him are now...

Are you new here or something? Dustin's one of the best wrestlers of all time. 

• Like 1

The WWE is ruining Dolph Ziggler and it really pisses me off.

I think it's funny how Dustin can be gone from the spotlight for so long and still understand how wrestling works better than RVD.

I also don't get why they didn't let him get over a little on HHH during that interview.  He could have at least made him flinch a little by going full Golddust:

"I have nothing to lose here tonight...so when I'm done having my way with your face boy, I just might come backstage and give you the thrrrrrilllll everyone knows you've been waiiiiting for thpthpthtphtphtphtphtphtphtphtpht AHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

I'm not on the hate HHH train with the general booking, but I'm getting a little annoyed that he won't ever script anyone to at least get some verbal shots in...especially when it's guys like Dustin and Edge who have no "job" to lose. 

Edge got in a "married your way into power" crack. That's pretty good.  And Vic's main deal is this "doesn't have tenure to insult Lawler" deal, which is silly, in my opinion.

Yeah.  Does anyone really think Jerry Lawler's little feelings are hurt by someone busting his balls about his fucking habits?  The idea that he's some sad old legend who can't handle some rough talk in the middle of an angle is absurd.  I'm sure he didnt' flinch, and probably was happy to get a chance to spar with someone.

JBL may have been all pissy because some mere girl/kid had the audacity to trade shit-talk with the old boys...so he did what the old boys do.  he tried to put her in her place.  And she'll either give in or she'll bite back.

I, for one, would be happy to see her burn the whole fucking arena to the ground...old boys and all...but I may just be in a mood.

• Like 3

And died on live television! We can't forget that. :mellow:

(and is also one of the best wrestlers that ever lived)

But is an absolutely shitty commentator. He's somewhat lucky he had the heart attack on TV, or else he might have been JR'd eventually.

But this is THE top title she can win. It is not at all comparable.

However, AJ getting a tattoo of the date she won the title is comparable to AJ Styles getting a tattoo with his kids' dates of birth. 

Well, at least hers is just a little one on her neck, and not her whole fucking torso.  It also hopefully isn't fucking lopsided.

I'm kinda confused as to why people would be grading AJ on a curve?

What curve?  I legitimately think over the last few weeks, she's been the best promo/character in the company.  And she was the best character in the company before they made her GM, too.

EDITED to clarify.

• Like 1