DVDVR Message Board

I'm kinda confused as to why people would be grading AJ on a curve?

What curve?  I legitimately think over the last few weeks, she's been the best promo/character in the company.  And she was the best character in the company before they made her GM, too.

EDITED to clarify.

Based on your tastes in other media, you are clearly grading on a curve biased towards whoever most resembles a teenage girl.

I'm kinda confused as to why people would be grading AJ on a curve?

What curve?  I legitimately think over the last few weeks, she's been the best promo/character in the company.  And she was before they made her GM, to.

It's kind of the opposite of a curve.  Whether she's been better than other people or not...she has a much bigger hill to climb to get anyone to care at all.  If anything she's working with the handicap of years of her division being utterly pointless, and still crowded with abolute mannequins.  I mean, shit, just weeks ago the entire division was being rebooked around this Bellas thing.

The idea that it she should be able to turn that all around and create an workable in-ring angle that makes her seem like a serious wrestler...and that it should be easy...or its on a curve, is absurd.  It's fucking impossible task, and she's doing about the best you could with the one little segment per show to work with.

Eddy and Vader are the only two guys I would without question take above him.  Probably Bret.  Maybe Flair.

What about guys like Hansen, Gordy, Williams, Lawler, Savage, Steamboat, Windham?

When was the last time there was a favorite wrestler tournament or whatever? That happens every year, right?

Eddy and Vader are the only two guys I would without question take above him.  Probably Bret.  Maybe Flair.

What about guys like Hansen, Gordy, Williams, Lawler, Savage, Steamboat, Windham?

When was the last time there was a favorite wrestler tournament or whatever? That happens every year, right?

Of those I'd probably take Dustin over Williams, Savage, Steamboat, and maybe Windham. I haven't seen enough prime Gordy or Hansen to judge. 

I like all those guys, but Dustin hits the combined sweet spot of being fucking great (note how the other day I called the Bunkhouse match with Bunkhouse Buck the best match in WCW history) and being fucking great as I was growing up, and being one of the main centerpieces in my all-favorite run of pro wrestling ever (late 93-mid 94 WCW) as well as his amazing late career revival after leaving TNA, dropping some weight, and being just a fucking great veteran presence on the roster.

I would call him a mark and buy his shirt simultaneously...two browser tabs...

Since that's not what's going on, I don't want to know what you're doing with your second browser tab right now.

Is there anyone else they can bring it to have Orton wrestle?  Is Waltman medically allowed to wrestle in WWE? 

Bob Holly would be great in a sort of weird shooty way. I want Masters though. London and Kendrick? If they really want to go with the "working the net fans" angle, they should bring in Davey RIchards for one night to get demolished and then they can get rid of him.
  • Like 2

The idea that AJ is stilted and bad on the mic is pretty out there.  Vic I know you're generally an immovable object when it comes to your opinions, but I just don't get this one.  I've always felt that she was very good on the microphone.

She is alright at basic promos. But not so hot at thinking on her feet. Or that is at least how I feel. I honestly only caught the segment, waiting for Dustin/Orton. This is the first show I saw in weeks. I liked the opening angle. But Edge looks like a kid who was given Pym Particles, it throws me off.I don't know what they are doing with Big Show. I think he is turning heel, but would they really emasculate him like this for another heel turn?

If a dude got the date they won the world title tattooed on them, how many people would call him a mark? I have no dog in this fight, just asking.

I think a lot of people would rip on someone for that because everyone online wants to act too cool for wrestling and act like we wouldn't flip our shit if we "won" the WWE title.   I don't think it makes him a "mark" anymore than the cast of the LOTR movies getting matching tats or whatever.  It's something used to celebrate a momentous achievement in your life.  While wrestlers don't actually "win" titles having the top belt in the company (or in AJ's case the top belt she would realistically be able to hold) put on you is still a big deal in your career.

I thought it was a pretty good burn by AJ when she dropped the "I'm too old line" on Lawler. I was too busy laughing that I missed JBL get all pissy about it. I bet that line would have really stung if Lawler was the full on perv he was in the Attitude era when he was screaming PUPPIES every five minutes. AJ has reached the level of Lita and Trish. She has her own merchandise and is the face of the Women's division. She has a right to be taken seriously and I'm glad she called all three of them out. Plus isn't it a known fact that Lawler doesn't even watch the WWE outside of RAW?

Goldust/Randy was an awesome match. I'm still trying to figure out what the crutch of the McMahon/Rhodes feud would be in 1977. Vince is upset that Dusty wouldn't sign with his old man and has held a grudge ever since? Dusty did matches for Vince Sr back then, but technically speaking it was a territory so guys came and went. I totally do want to see The Rhodes vs. The Shield. Make it a six man bunkhouse match at Survivor Series and I'm sold.

• Like 1