DVDVR Message Board

IT'S STILL THE NFL PRESEASON

Gonzo

Sanchez isn't great but looking at some of the trash that somehow has backed up on several NFL clubs without ever completing a pass that went forward more than 7 yards I'd still take him over a whole lot on a one year deal. He's way more exposed than a lot of those guys, and the Butt Fumble is basically the NFL's all time greatest meme, but putting that shit aside objectively I'd still take him if I had a hole to fill.

8 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

Sanchez isn't great but looking at some of the trash that somehow has backed up on several NFL clubs without ever completing a pass that went forward more than 7 yards I'd still take him over a whole lot on a one year deal. He's way more exposed than a lot of those guys, and the Butt Fumble is basically the NFL's all time greatest meme, but putting that shit aside objectively I'd still take him if I had a hole to fill.

Guy has won multiple playoff games on the road and he wasn't just a bystandard in those. I'm not saying he's great or anything but given a choice between him and Bradford I go with Sanchez every time.

10 hours ago, Jerome Miller said:

Everything I've heard is that even if Bridgewater recovers, no one knows if he'll be anywhere close to the same player he was before the injury, so wouldn't it more sense to tank this season, get the number one overall draft pick, and then go to the playoffs next year with Deshaun Watson as your starting QB?

You're not going to get a football team to "tank" anything. This isn't the NBA.

5 hours ago, supremebve said:

They weren't a contender with Teddy Bridgewater.  Most likely going to be terrible with Bradford.  Their Bradford in hand is not worth the 2 draft picks in the bush. 

I know I'm a little biased about this. . .but yes they were. The defense and the running game made them a potential playoff team without Bridgewater, never mind with him.

Honestly, the "Mark Sanchez is as good as Sam Bradford" thing is a little ridiculous. Sanchez was set to be #3 on Denver's depth chart behind a rookie and the third-best quarterback produced by Northwestern University in the last decade. At least Bradford was set to start for his team.

Seriously, this team went 11-5 last year, and prior to the Bridgewater injury had lost nobody of any importance. Also, I dare say that this is the most talented and best-coached team that Bradford has ever been a part of.

I'm not 100% in love with this trade or anything, but it's absolutely the best they could have done under the circumstances. Prior to this people were actively trying to convince themselves that Sanchez or the fossilized husk of Michael Vick were legitimate options. This is most certainly better than that scenario.

5 hours ago, supremebve said:

They weren't a contender with Teddy Bridgewater.  Most likely going to be terrible with Bradford.  Their Bradford in hand is not worth the 2 draft picks in the bush. 

They were a division winning playoff team with Teddy and a kick away from the divisional round.  Their current window will have probably slammed shut by the time Teddy even looks at a field again.

When they pulled the trigger Sanchez wasn't available.  I'm not sure Bradford will even remain vertical until Christmas, but I can understand them attempting to make the best of it.  Bradford was arguably the best QB they could realistically get at the time.

16 hours ago, KDWI said:

Ravens cut Justin Forsett. That was out of nowhere.

I gotta believe the Dolphins will get in on that. Especially after they cut Daniel Thomas and whatever horrific injury happens to Arian Foster around, oh, let's say, week 2.

5 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

When they pulled the trigger Sanchez wasn't available.

Except that PFT is now reporting that Dallas had gotten permission from the Broncos to talk to Sanchez ahead of time.  So at least one team knew that the Broncos were getting rid of him.  Did any other team talk to the Broncos ahead of time?

Also, if that was the price for Bradford, I wonder what the price was for, say, Mike Glennon or Josh McNown.  I just have a hard time imagining Tampa Bay asking for a first rounder and another pick for Glennon.  And the same thing with Cleveland and McCown.

Apparently Randy Gregory won the appeal of his suspension so it has been reduced from 10 games to 4

Of course - he still needs to get himself right and hopefully rehab helps

This "Bradford was never good" stuff baffles me. His last year and a half before getting hurt in St Louis, he was good - and improving. He had no chance at being successful under Kelly's system. I think he'll be alright. 

8 hours ago, Gonzo said:

Concerning more important matters. . .

Is Highway To Ham happening again this year? If no one else is running it, I can probably do it. If someone is, I won't step on their toes.

Week #1 is going up within the hour.

1 hour ago, Tabe said:

This "Bradford was never good" stuff baffles me. His last year and a half before getting hurt in St Louis, he was good - and improving. He had no chance at being successful under Kelly's system. I think he'll be alright. 

People are oddly selective on what part of someone's career they reference to help whatever their argument is.

So who's the worst player with the most draft currency spent on them in total? I'm talking not only where they were originally drafted but the high draft picks other teams used to acquire them. I'm thinking Bradford has to be near the top of the list. Even the Colts' excuse for acquiring Trent Richardson was the notion that he was ruined by Browns stink. Herschel or Ricky don't count either since they each at least led the league in rushing once and it's not an indictment of them as players that dumbasses who ran teams thought you could build a dynasty around bellcow running backs at the expense of entire draft classes.

48 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

People are oddly selective on what part of someone's career they reference to help whatever their argument is.

Matt Cassel's 11-5 as a Patriot being used as evidence that Tom Brady is a "system quarterback" is the most egregious example of this.

45 minutes ago, FluffSnackwell said:

I'm talking not only where they were originally drafted but the high draft picks other teams used to acquire them. I'm thinking Bradford has to be near the top of the list. Even the Colts' excuse for acquiring Trent Richardson was the notion that he was ruined by Browns stink.

Richardson's out of the league in 3 years, cost 2 first rounders, and didn't crack 1,000 career rushing yards.  Bradford's 6 seasons in, one missed entirely due to injury, and at least has an OROY and respectable numbers to show for it.  Bradford's been expensive, but that's the QB market.

Plus Richardson is probably done and Bradford is a current starter, he still has plenty of time to continue to be useful. If he is a starter for the next five or six years, even if he never really plays as well as his draft status would hope he still would have had a solid career.

1 minute ago, johnnyboy said:

Matt Cassel's 11-5 as a Patriot being used as evidence that Tom Brady is a "system quarterback" is the most egregious example of this.

Richardson's out of the league in 3 years, cost 2 first rounders, and didn't crack 1,000 career rushing yards.  Bradford's 6 seasons in, one missed entirely due to injury, and at least has an OROY and respectable numbers to show for it.  Bradford's been expensive, but that's the QB market.

Richardson actually had over 2,000 yards for his career and put up decent numbers as a workhorse back during his rookie season. That wasn't my point though. My point was that at least teams could talk themselves into thinking Richardson could rebound on a new team. But at this point in his career, Bradford has missed 27 out of his last 48 games. So he's never been great and rarely healthy six seasons into his career. Your QB just suffered a career-threatening freak injury in non-contact drills and this is the move you make for temporary stability at the position; at the expense of a 1st-round pick?

Not that I mind discussing things hypothetically, in fact I enjoy it, but if Bradford leads the Vikings to the playoffs then it will look like they made a smart move (since then their #1 pick would be in the mid-20s which has less value). I have no idea how likely that is but if he stays healthy all year and plays well it will change the discussion. I think its fair game to discuss Bradford up to this point and he has major injury concerns but too early to determine if this was a smart move by Minnesota. It was definitely desperate but there is a chance it pays off.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Gonzo said:

You're not going to get a football team to "tank" anything. This isn't the NBA.

Sorry, but none of us imagined that when Manning had his neck surgically removed in Indianapolis that they replaced him with a random Wal-Mart employee instead of making even the slightest effort to find a NFL level replacement, because Luck and RGIII were in that draft. If anything it was stunning they weren't called out for it more because it was so blatantly obvious what they were doing.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kevin Wilson said:

He is right about not being able to run Kelly's offense.  Bradford was not able to run the uptempo offense at Kelly's breakneck pace.  

The odd thing in Philly was Bradford ran the offense better at a slower pace and Sanchez ran it at the perfect pace yet made horrible decisions.  It takes a certain QB to run that offense.

I will never understand trading Foles for Bradford.  Despite Foles problems he ran the offense well at the proper pace during that one season.

28 minutes ago, FluffSnackwell said:

My point was that at least teams could talk themselves into thinking Richardson could rebound on a new team. But at this point in his career, Bradford has missed 27 out of his last 48 games.

Bradford's problem wasn't being rubbish though, like Richardson, it was various parts of his body vapourising.  I think the Vikings convinced themselves that they can keep him in one piece.  If they can do that and he plays at his normal level then that should be entirely enough to get the Vikings into the playoffs and it will look like a genius move.  If all his ribs explode in week 3 then yeah, not so much.