DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

2 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

I got to thinking before - which wrestler are other wrestlers the biggest marks of? I kinda get annoyed at how much everyone seems to kiss Lesnar's ass when he routinely shows nothing

There is nothing old timers like more than a worker who has actual cred and who can legitimize pro wrestling.  They're all so insecure about their participation in fake fighting that they'll line up around the block to gladly fellate to completion anyone who transitioned to pro wrestling after a stint in real sports.  It's the reason Angle made it into the Observer HOF so ridiculously early in his career.  It's the reason Jim Ross often made up real sports backgrounds for wrestlers constantly (like the bullshit about Stan Hansen playing for the Colts).

• Like 1

I never got into the ex football player turned wrestler. That always made me think they were lumbering stiffs. 

It's understandable that the old tusers would think fondly about the legit hookers. They had to not only protect the business but also protect themselves against anyone on the road that they came across thst had beef over their soap opera character.

3 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

One name you don't hear as often as you think you would is Bret. 

That's a good point.  I always preferred Bret to Shawn, but when you think about people growing up during the attitude era he wasn't really featured that much (although moreso than Shawn), and when he was featured, he was almost always on the less popular show, ratings-wise.

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

It's the reason Jim Ross often made up real sports backgrounds for wrestlers constantly (like the bullshit about Stan Hansen playing for the Colts).

And yet, when the time came to get Pillman over, he barely mentioned it (outside of a few "He's friends with Boomer Esiason"s).

I always find it odd how the wrestlers who got into the business because of their love of Hogan are generally nothing like him. Rockstar Spud legitimately thinks the best match at WM3 was Hogan vs Andre.

I'd say Rey was pretty influential. When you see how many tiny guys are in the business now... I know it's wrong to give him sole credit for breaking the size bar, because there were plenty of small guys who got over before him, but he was so small and got so over, everywhere he went, you have to give him most of the credit.

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

There is nothing old timers like more than a worker who has actual cred and who can legitimize pro wrestling.  They're all so insecure about their participation in fake fighting that they'll line up around the block to gladly fellate to completion anyone who transitioned to pro wrestling after a stint in real sports.  It's the reason Angle made it into the Observer HOF so ridiculously early in his career.  It's the reason Jim Ross often made up real sports backgrounds for wrestlers constantly (like the bullshit about Stan Hansen playing for the Colts).

Aigh. Which makes it doubly strange how they never go on about guys like Shamrock, Severn or Blackman but I guess they were never major focal points or main eventers

• Like 1

Speaking of Shamrock, was there a specific incident where Vince cooled on the idea of him as a top guy? He was really protected and treated like a major deal through maybe the middle of 98, but pretty soon after is just another guy and gone. Was it political or was he just in the wrong place at the wrong time with the boom and Austin's megapush? 

1 hour ago, AxB said:

And yet, when the time came to get Pillman over, he barely mentioned it (outside of a few "He's friends with Boomer Esiason"s).

I always find it odd how the wrestlers who got into the business because of their love of Hogan are generally nothing like him. Rockstar Spud legitimately thinks the best match at WM3 was Hogan vs Andre.

I'd say Rey was pretty influential. When you see how many tiny guys are in the business now... I know it's wrong to give him sole credit for breaking the size bar, because there were plenty of small guys who got over before him, but he was so small and got so over, everywhere he went, you have to give him most of the credit.

Did you watch WCW in 90-92? Ross was always putting over Pillman's football background.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

One of my favorite examples of this is when the Apter mags claimed Manny Fernandez was the same guy who played for the Dolphins in the early 70s. 

I thought that Manny himself was the one who always perpetuated that.

Has Meltzer said anything about TNA's business license? Per the TNA thread, it looks like they either had their Tennessee business license revoked earlier this month, or simply failed to renew it (I can't tell which from the form linked in the other thread).

29 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I think every wrestling memoir in the early 2000s had a mention of Kurt Angle as the future of the business or some such. Yeah, look where that went.

Exactly.  If the age limit for the Observer HOF were raised to 45 instead of 35, would Angle even be in?  He only spent 8 years in WWE, 6 as a top guy, before his career essentially trailed off to nothing.  In a business where nobody really even retires, 35 is way too young and there's still plenty of time to be unceremoniously fired for being a drug case and spend the rest of your career in obscurity and rack up a handful of DUIs.

2 hours ago, AxB said:

Well I'd say most guys who admire Hogan enjoy pro-wrestling for the sports entertainment aspect more than the professional wrestling aspect. I'd imagine most guys who got into the business in the early to mid 1990s were probably Hogan fans growing up.

40 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I think every wrestling memoir in the early 2000s had a mention of Kurt Angle as the future of the business or some such. Yeah, look where that went.

5 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Exactly.  If the age limit for the Observer HOF were raised to 45 instead of 35, would Angle even be in?  He only spent 8 years in WWE, 6 as a top guy, before his career essentially trailed off to nothing.  In a business where nobody really even retires, 35 is way too young and there's still plenty of time to be unceremoniously fired for being a drug case and spend the rest of your career in obscurity and rack up a handful of DUIs.

Well there was that Olympic Gold medal whing that seems to hold a lot of weight in arguing for him being in any wrestling HOF. Gret amateur career, high level pro wrestling career.  I don't know who you really can argue that he should not be in the HOF.  He had great matches every where he went and is a box office draw.   

It's funny, when I looked up the Observer HOF criteria, I saw that it's 35 years of age and 10 years in wrestling.  Angle had only been in pro wrestling for 6 years when he was inducted.  Then I realized they must be counting his amateur wrestling career, which is laughable.  Is amateur wrestling one of those things that Meltzer weirdly considers to be "pro wrestling" because, I don't know, advertisers pay for advertising in the Olympics or whatever?  They are two absolutely different things and to treat them in any other way is disingenuous. 

I don't think Angle belongs in a pro wrestling HOF because his major promotion career was not even a decade.  And by the time he was voted in, he was already flaming out and working part time.  But it's Meltzer's criteria and his voting base, made of of the aforementioned "old guys ashamed to be associated with fake fighting and craving legitimacy, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1