DVDVR Message Board

Olympics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

And the finalists for 2022 are:

1) Beijing, China

2) Almaty, Kazakhstan

3) Oslo, Norway

Lviv dropped out last week, so the IOC just made the 3 remaining cities the finalists.  Oslo's funding is up for a vote in the fall, and is extremely tentative.

Better brush up on your Mandarin and pray the Chinese economy doesn't collapse! 

And the finalists for 2022 are:

1) Beijing, China

2) Almaty, Kazakhstan

3) Oslo, Norway

Lviv dropped out last week, so the IOC just made the 3 remaining cities the finalists.  Oslo's funding is up for a vote in the fall, and is extremely tentative.

Better brush up on your Mandarin and pray the Chinese economy doesn't collapse! 

Because we all want smog covered snow. . . .

I wonder how much Kazakhstan burned on a bid.

I mean I'm not even opposed to them winning because it would be something totally different but I don't really think the Olympics is interested in anyone outside of a very small circle at this point with all the costs. I do find it weird Sweden has never hosted a winter Olympics, and pulled out again early in the process here.

• 2 months later...

We are basically at the point where China is going to be the only host for any Olympics because they are the only ones who want to do it.

As a Philadelphia resident who was adamantly opposed to the Games coming here in any form and was ready to protest like holy hell if the city had gone forward with its bid, I say let them have it.

Are we at the point where the only thing to do to honor what's left of what the Olympics were supposed to represent is to stop having them?

If the only thing keeping them going is the opportunity for

1) massive corporate profits

2) totalitarian propaganda

3) huge theft of public funds

then the noblest most Olympian thing to do, would be to deny the continuing vehicle for these things, no?

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

So the USOC has it's 4 finalists for the 2024 Summer Games:

1) Boston - boston.com says "behind closed doors" they have the bid locked up.  The aging infrastructure and lack of housing and cost say "o rly".

2) San Francisco - Apparently since they "don't want to repeat the mistakes of Sochi", this games is based on "budget".  Because there's nothing the IOC likes hearing more than "budget."

3) Washington - Now this is interesting. Never hosted, but have the infrastructure, hotels, and money to do it.  New RFK Stadium will be the main host stadium (getting this also means Snyder gets a Super Bowl and changes the name of the NFL team) and lots of venues.  

4) Los Angeles - '24 will be the 40th anniversary of the most financially/medalically successful games in American history. Have 2 Olympics under their belt, have a plan, have star power, and have money.  

Durban, Rome, Paris, and Berlin are also going for it. 

So the USOC has it's 4 finalists for the 2024 Summer Games:

4) Los Angeles - '24 will be the 40th anniversary of the most financially/medalically successful games in American history. Have 2 Olympics under their belt, have a plan, have star power, and have money.  

Alright, I *know*  I'm old, but do you have to rub it in my face? :(

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Are we at the point where the only thing to do to honor what's left of what the Olympics were supposed to represent is to stop having them?

then the noblest most Olympian thing to do, would be to deny the continuing vehicle for these things, no?

Where do people get the idea the modern Olympics ever had a "noble" ideal? They were founded by rich white people that were committed to "amateurism" because it was the best way to guarantee poor people (and black people) wouldn't be involved. Then when those folks got old they let Hitler host.

Yeah, I just invoked Godwin's Law. Sorry.

Where do people get the idea the modern Olympics ever had a "noble" ideal? They were founded by rich white people that were committed to "amateurism" because it was the best way to guarantee poor people (and black people) wouldn't be involved. Then when those folks got old they let Hitler host.

Yeah, I just invoked Godwin's Law. Sorry.

I don't think it counts if its true. . . .

• 2 months later...

Boston's Olympics committee has said they will only bid if "the majority of Massachusetts residents" support it.   

So, LA and DC can go ahead and get their bids out of the trash.  

• 2 weeks later...

So, here's a bizarre story coming out of Russia today. Hockey focussed tweets but very sweeping implications here.

Slava Malamud @SlavaMalamud  ·  16m 16 minutes ago

Russian lawmakers have introduced a bill forbidding Russian athletes to compete in more than two consecutive Olympics.

Slava Malamud @SlavaMalamud  ·  14m 14 minutes ago

This of course would make Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Varlamov, Radulov all ineligible to play for Team RUS in 2018.

Slava Malamud @SlavaMalamud  ·  12m 12 minutes ago

Nope, not them either. RT @caitlinchris Malkin? Datsyuk?

Slava Malamud @SlavaMalamud  ·  12m 12 minutes ago

The law's intent is to make sure young athletes are given a chance. Evgeny Plushenko's disaster is cited as an example. No downside, right?

Uh, there you go. Okay then.

• 2 months later...

Baseball and softball, bowling, karate, roller sports, sport climbing, squash, surfing and wushu were named finalist sports to be considered to be added for the Tokyo 2020 Olympics, Games organizers said Monday.

Baseball/Softball is considered the favorite because of their popularity in Japan but who knows.

I am sad Tug of War wasn't a finalist

Baseball and softball, bowling, karate, roller sports, sport climbing, squash, surfing and wushu were named finalist sports to be considered to be added for the Tokyo 2020 Olympics, Games organizers said Monday.

Baseball/Softball is considered the favorite because of their popularity in Japan but who knows.

I am sad Tug of War wasn't a finalist

This is the Olympics, man.  Not Battle of the Network Stars. 

I don't know how this can take place in Tokyo without baseball or karate being in the mix.  I would think roller sports would be in there also given the strong runs that Japanese X-Games athletes have made in the past.

This is wushu, one of the games on the list. It's like figure skating meets Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. There are all sorts of weird sub-events in it, but anything involving "duel" is worth your time. We really need this in our lives.