DVDVR Message Board

Olympics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

Katie Ledecky is getting a lotta run - though that might be a more local thing since she is from VA

The gymanstic trials start tomorrow so by the end of the weekend you will know who NBC will be fawning all over.

The golf team would be getting the run if Tiger or Phil was playing but right now it is Bubba Watson, Jordan Spieth and Dustin Johnson on the US Team (Bubba can't wait to go - Spieth and Johnson have yet to confirm if they will play)

1 minute ago, J.T. said:

I am totally ready for Gatlin vs. Bolt.

Assuming Bolt makes it

He pulled out of the Jamaican qualifiers due to a slight hamstring tear

But he can still get in on a medical exemption if he proves he is in "world ranking form"

Basically Jamaica has till July 18 to decide whether to include him or not

22 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The gymanstic trials start tomorrow so by the end of the weekend you will know who NBC will be fawning all over.

If you watch and follow Gymnastics constantly (like if you have a kid that's already competitive and in the National System and is freaking obsessed), Douglas, Biles, Raisman, and Hundley are already going to be the stories. 

2 hours ago, muhammedboehm said:

http://deadspin.com/study-the-rio-olympics-went-1-6-billion-over-budget-1783310108?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

i know no olympics in modern memory has been on budget but with what we know of Brazil economy and such its just so Lol

Not just that, its that they are overbudget and still fucked things up this badly. Gee, lets see. . . .Give me a E-M-B-E-Z-Z-L-E-M-E-N-T. . . . .

• Like 2

And Jordan Spieth has withdrawn from the Olympics meaning the Top 4 ranked golfers in the world won't be there.

Yeah... that will really help Golf stick around as an olympic sport

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

And Jordan Spieth has withdrawn from the Olympics meaning the Top 4 ranked golfers in the world won't be there.

Yeah... that will really help Golf stick around as an olympic sport

I'd give it one more non-EPIC disaster Olympics before writing it off entirely, but yeah.

Well as noted in the article about Spieth it is assured to be in the 2020 Olympics but sometime next year the IOC will vote to see if it stays

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Death From Above said:

It's widely being reported late tonight that Russia is gone baby gone.

That turned out to be wrong. The IOC put the decision if Russians are allowed to compete in Rio to the respective governing bodies.

1 hour ago, piranesi said:

God, I kind of hope the Russians win so many fucking medals.

To be fair it's not as if there are not other teams allowed to compete that very likely also have government sponsored doping. Some reports I have seen about Kenya come to mind for example, and what are the chances that North Korean athelets ever had to do a single "real" doping control while staying in their own country.

1 hour ago, piranesi said:

God, I kind of hope the Russians win so many fucking medals.

Well to do that they would have had to have been in track & field and that is the one thing for certain they aren't competing in

Oh and these folks are out too

The IOC also said Russia is barred from entering for the Rio Games any athlete who has ever been sanctioned for doping.

That appears to rule out swimmer Yulia Efimova, the world champion in the 100-meter breaststroke, 2012 Olympic silver-medal-winning weightlifter Tatiana Kashirina and two-time Olympic bronze-medal-winning cyclist Olga Zabelinskaya. All three have previously served a doping ban.