DVDVR Message Board

Olympics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

Not following too religiously this year, but its nice to hear Vic Rauter. Don't know why they didn't have him doing the Olympics, his voice is curling.

CBC's commentators did all of the events. I thought the crew they had for curling was solid. Amazed that Mike Harris made one year that he got hot into a permanent analyst spot though.

• 3 weeks later...

Just met Kaitlyn Lawes in the hallway at work. Gave her some directions, and figured out she's even cuter up close than on TV. I might have a restraining order placed against me soon though....

• 1 month later...

Rejoice American Olympics fans.  

NBC has announced they have extended their contract and will have tv rights for the Winter/Summer Olympic games through 2032. 

(Fuck you IOC.)

Rejoice American Olympics fans.  

NBC has announced they have extended their contract and will have tv rights for the Winter/Summer Olympic games through 2032. 

(Fuck you IOC.)

So I'll be dead before they stop talking about Lolo Jones and Shaun White?  Yay! 

I needed a reason to see death as a sweet release from torture and Beckett wasn't cutting it anymore.

Fuck.  

On the plus side, I'm getting pretty damn handy with foreign proxies so I might just say fuck it and watch CBC or BBC's feeds.  Lord of Light knows that CBC's coverage of the Opening Cermonies was lightyears better than NBC's.

You can't get worse than NBC.  Period.  They're fucking terrible.  I'd just like to see what CBS or ESPN do with it, since they're generally better at sports period.

Point.

Although it is arguable if that's better or worse than Lauer and Videra.  Merideth did tell us to "Google It" this time instead of like, doing her damn job.

Although CBS runs into the problem of Jim Nantz calling the Opening.

Chris Berman: Opening Ceremonies Commentator. That would be enough to make me fear ESPN getting the rights.

Everyone is so bad.  Last night I tried to watch some baseball highlights.  I went to ESPN and watched Baseball Tonight and it was in the middle of a long segment tying into the movie MILLION DOLLAR ARM..and they were showing clips and doing a million dollar arm pitching contest.

So I switched to MLB Network just in time for their tie in with MLB The SHOW 14 where they were calling a simulation of Reds/Red Sox instead of talking about the actual game.

I thought for a second about Fox Sports One, but they were in the middle of their simulated NFL draft that I think tied in to the Kevin Costner movie, like, with a Kevin Costner Hologram commenting on their picks.

As a Blue Jays fan, baseball highlights typically make me cringe. Also, living in Canada, baseball highlights are always at the end of the sportscast in springtime.

• 3 weeks later...

So apparently, the '22 Winter Games are in serious trouble. 

Krakow just dropped out.  

There are only 4 finalists left, they are in descending LOL! order:

1) Lviv, Ukraine - Hey, heard about Russia invading us our 'civil war'?

2) Oslo, Norway - We tried to sneak this past our people and now they've rejected all our funding for infrastructure.

3) Almaty, Kazakhstan - The Borat Olympics. Also, small, very far from everything, and has a super-dictator in place.

4) Beijing, China - Order. Control. And Pollution.  Lots and LOTS of pollution. 

Chris Berman: Opening Ceremonies Commentator. That would be enough to make me fear ESPN getting the rights.

You misspelled "Keith Olbermann."

• Like 1

So apparently, the '22 Winter Games are in serious trouble. 

Krakow just dropped out.  

There are only 4 finalists left, they are in descending LOL! order:

1) Lviv, Ukraine - Hey, heard about Russia invading us our 'civil war'?

2) Oslo, Norway - We tried to sneak this past our people and now they've rejected all our funding for infrastructure.

3) Almaty, Kazakhstan - The Borat Olympics. Also, small, very far from everything, and has a super-dictator in place.

4) Beijing, China - Order. Control. And Pollution.  Lots and LOTS of pollution. 

Any chance Salt Lake City or Vancouver can make a last minute bid? The idea of a Borat movie chronicling how they won the Olympic bid is amusing me way too much right now.

The IOC has roundly told the Americas to fuck off.  That's what the Chicago '16 vote was.  

As it stands, the USOC won't bid again until '24 (probably LA) and '26 (probably Boston).  If both of those get rejected, I doubt we'll see an American Olympics again in our lifetime. 

The IOC has roundly told the Americas to fuck off.  That's what the Chicago '16 vote was.  

As it stands, the USOC won't bid again until '24 (probably LA) and '26 (probably Boston).  If both of those get rejected, I doubt we'll see an American Olympics again in our lifetime. 

Well the problem is that the USOC obiviously doesn't give big enough bribes donate enough money to the IOC for real consideration.

Well the problem is that the USOC obiviously doesn't give big enough bribes donate enough money to the IOC for real consideration.

And part of that comes from our Olympic Committee not being an arm of the Federal Government.  Thomas Bach needs live dolphins for his solid gold backyard fountain god damn it!

Mayor de Blasio also shut down any hope for a NYC 2024 bid.  So, yeah, I'm next to positive, 2024 is going to be Los Angeles for the USA.