DVDVR Message Board

Olympics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

The European television rights for the Olympic Games have been awarded to Eurosport and its parent channel in a 1.3bn euros (£922m) deal.

It means the BBC could lose coverage of the Games in the UK from 2022, although Eurosport's parent company Discovery may lease back some of the rights.

The European rights are currently split up, country by country.

The deal will be effective for most of Europe from 2018, and in France and the UK from 2022.

Eurosport does not currently have a free-to-air terrestrial channel so it would either have to acquire one or license the coverage to another broadcaster like ITV, Channel 4 or the BBC.

In a statement, Discovery said it was committed to broadcasting a minimum of 200 hours of the Olympic Games and 100 hours of the Olympic Winter Games on free-to-air television during the games period.

Media watchdog Ofcom lists the Olympics as a category A event which must have live coverage made available to free-to-air channels.

Thomas Bach, the president of the International Olympic Committee, said: "The revenue generated from this long-term partnership will be redistributed by the IOC across the Olympic Movement to support the development of sport around the world."

The first Olympics to be broadcast on the BBC came from London in 1948. Since then, it has broadcast the Games continuously since Rome 1960.

The 2016 Olympics will be held in Rio de Janeiro in Brazil, while 2020's event will take place in Tokyo, Japan.

The host city for the Winter Olympics 2022 will be announced at the end of July.

Hopefully if they put baseball back in, some of the stars find their big boy pants and we don't get this sub-single A horse shit passed off as an Olympic sport again.

They are never going to get major league players because MLB will never shut the season down like the NHL does.

EDIT - Dammit Mark!

• Like 1

Also - the 2020 Olympics (which would be the first one baseball would be back if picked) are scheduled for July 24 - August 9

So that is the prime period when MLB still has the sports world to itself.

I don't know, I for one would watch Clayton Kershaw mowing down fools on the Belarus baseball team on his way to the first perfect game ever pitched in Kazakhstan.  

Hopefully other sports follow suit. Maybe we can hold the hundred meter dash with the top 400 sprinters sitting out and call that a medal event too. Let's have the US sit out their top 100 NCAA swimmers while we're at it.

Really, this was sad enough the first time. Do we really need village park calibre baseball version two? Japan will get their medal though, so that's good, I guess. I have no idea beyond that what kind of weirdos would actually support this though.

• 3 weeks later...

Tokyo has the 2020 Olympics and decided this would be the stadium for it:

1344845435143278152.jpg

This puppy comes at a price tag of $3.1B.   So, someone over there woke up and realized, hey, that's a LOT of money.  So despite a re-design that knocked off 1.3b, they still said it's way too much and have killed the design altogether.  They've also forced the 2019 World Cup of Rugby to find a new venue.   So that's 5 years to design, build, and finish a gigantic stadium in the middle of Tokyo.  

This may be a challenge. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Boston's mayor has refused to sign the USOC contract for the 2024 Summer Games bid.  He'll continue to do so if any money has to come from taxpayers.  

My guess is, this is the death knell for Boston.  LA should be on deck. 

Toronto is considering getting in.

That's all chatter right now, coming off the back of the 2015 Pan Am Games which means they have several facilities that could be bumped to Olympic standards at (relatively) less expense.

Frankly it's looking good for Paris to get their first one in 100 years. I can't imagine Rome's bid will have that much steam with the state of the Italian economy. Hamburg isn't a terrible candidate at all but it sounds a lot less sexy than Paris or Rome (or Los Angeles, assuming the USA still wants to bid).

The cities of Beijing and Almaty only have a few hours left to get their bribes in.  

2022 Olympic Voting will happen in Kuala Lumpur today (tonight for us, KL is 12 hours ahead of EST).

Just looking over some venue notes, the '08 Olympic Pool people just call The Water Cube is going to be converted for curling.

The main basketball stadium from '08 will be converted as the main hockey rink, which should be no problem as that's pretty normal over here too. The secondary hockey rink will be the building that hosted gymnastics and a couple other things. Both of those have a listed capacity of 18 000 for their normal configuration.

Figure skating will be in a totally different venue, along with the short track speed skating, in the '08 volleyball stadium. Similar capacity again.

I assume the much bigger Beijing issues will be some of the other venues. All the arena based stuff looks pretty simple and straightforward.

It was only a 44-40 vote which kind of surprises me because it seems like no one gave Kazakhstan a snowball's chance in hell.

My read on this was the 40 votes were comprised of the Kazakh voter and about 39 other voters protesting how horribly the '22 Games selection process went. 

I'm reading they're very, very concerned about how badly this went (not to mention this is the 3rd straight Asian Olympiad) and don't want to repeat the mistakes/corruption for '24 or '26.