DVDVR Message Board

Olympics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

Well to do that they would have had to have been in track & field and that is the one thing for certain they aren't competing in

Dammit.  Can they just juice harder in curling?  YOU BTTER NOT TELLING MME THERE"S NO CURLING THIS YEAR! THE RUSSIAN LADIES CULRING TIEAM IS TH EONLY REAOSON TO WATH THE OLMPIC

ESPN is reporting that the USOC is "banning" any company from tweeting about the Olympics or the qualification trials unless they are a sponsor of the team.  

LOL

Why do we still have the Olympics?  I swear the bad is starting to outweigh the good these days.  Brazil is going to go bankrupt, the athletes are living in unsafe, unsanitary conditions, there are country-wide doping scandals and the few people profiting on this bullshit are trying to bleed everyone else dry.  I love sports, and would hate to spoil the dreams of the athletes, but this is some shameful shit. 

Yes.  Just what you need when running a shady enterprise is thousands of people sent there to write home about the sporting events being told to find something else to write home about other than the sporting events.

THISCANNOTBACKFIRE!!!

5 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Why do we still have the Olympics?  I swear the bad is starting to outweigh the good these days.  Brazil is going to go bankrupt, the athletes are living in unsafe, unsanitary conditions, there are country-wide doping scandals and the few people profiting on this bullshit are trying to bleed everyone else dry.  I love sports, and would hate to spoil the dreams of the athletes, but this is some shameful shit. 

Bring back the Goodwill Games. 

• Like 3

I just laugh that the same people who laugh at us wrestling fans and consider us brainless morons lap up the olympics. Vince at his worst looks like Ghandi compared to the people who run the olympics.

• Like 1

A couple years ago I got onto a train of thought where I ended up reading a ton about Latin America's Banana Republics, and I was struck by how much the IOC operates almost exactly like a classic banana republic except in fast forward (setting up shop in a new country every two years, promising work promotion and profit in exchange for tax and legal concessions, pulling out with all the money and leaving the country with the bill).

• Like 1

I honestly don't know if we live in a world where you can put together something this large without large-scale international corruption.  The countries that host these events do so at a huge loss, but there are billions of dollars in private funds being made.  Somebody has to build all of those stadiums, dormitories, and hotels that will never be used again, the television rights are worth billions, and countries always line up to bid on the next games.  We are all in a abusive relationship with our international sporting events.  They constantly abuse us, but we would feel incomplete if we left their ass in the past where they belong.

31 minutes ago, Charlie M. said:

I think you just tweet @Jack and ask him to do it.

"We're bringing the curtain down on this internet thing, Lemon.  There's millions of needy teens on something called vine and apparently someone named Marina Joyce who all need a daddy to tell them what to do.   And, Lemon, that Daddy is named G.E...not Smith...but he's a good guy too.  Not much of a father figure, although he plays an life-changing version of Abracadabra.  Just G.E., Lemon."

• Like 3

In other comical media Olympic news

NBC is asking that the IOC change the order of the Parade of Nations to get better ratings

Basically - the nations always come out in alphabetical order of the host nation. Well in Portuguese the United States - excuse me Estados Unidos - will come out super early and NBC is afraid everyone is going to stop watching after that.

They have asked that the Parade of Nations be alphabetical in English.

Oh and again - NBC is still not showing it live

• Like 2

"We had the same trouble in Beijing, Lemon.  'General Electric' translated to 'Tongyong Dianqui' which is nonsense and completely unfair since "Mcdonald's' came out as 'McDonadu.' So we asked them to temporarily suspend their own alphabet in exchange for running an alternate satellite feed to China in which The Single Guy was never canceled. As we speak, Jonathan Silverman is filming episode 1000.  We're having a little party for him in his cell.  Try not to wear bright colors, it sets him off."

• Like 3

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 0:28 PM, RIPPA said:

And Jordan Spieth has withdrawn from the Olympics meaning the Top 4 ranked golfers in the world won't be there.

Yeah... that will really help Golf stick around as an olympic sport

Fuck Golf.  This Zika thing totally threatens my pants free enjoyment of Women's Beach Volleyball if shit gets cancelled.   They had better build a fucking dome for them to play in.

I have the app on my phone so I can totally keep up with Judo and Fencing. 

No need to punch up Track & Field, Swimming, Gymnastics, or Baskeball since they will fucking be everywhere during prime time.

41 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Fuck Golf.  This Zika thing totally threatens my pants free enjoyment of Women's Beach Volleyball if shit gets cancelled.   They had better build a fucking dome for them to play in.

Look up Winifer Fernandez.  Your volleyball lust can and will thrive indoors.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, supremebve said:

I honestly don't know if we live in a world where you can put together something this large without large-scale international corruption.  The countries that host these events do so at a huge loss, but there are billions of dollars in private funds being made.  Somebody has to build all of those stadiums, dormitories, and hotels that will never be used again, the television rights are worth billions, and countries always line up to bid on the next games.  We are all in a abusive relationship with our international sporting events.  They constantly abuse us, but we would feel incomplete if we left their ass in the past where they belong.

It is at a loss but if you do it right there are loads of net benefits.  When Philadelphia thought about doing the games like 20 or 25 years ago the idea was to use grants to upgrade infrastructure, turn the housing over to the colleges, etc.  If done right the games can revitalize a city.  But Brazil is just a case where anything that could go wrong did go wrong.  Add in a media fixated with train wrecks and failure and every mistake gets magnified.

The Chinese used Beijing to transform how the world viewed their country.  Being over in Shanghai at the time there was a mindset that only the great countries get the Olympics and if the eyes of the world are upon us we need to do the best possible job.  If the Olympics succeed China succeeds.

Economically, the massive physical investment creates a recession afterwards when the construction dollars fizzle out.

6 hours ago, Death From Above said:

A couple years ago I got onto a train of thought where I ended up reading a ton about Latin America's Banana Republics, and I was struck by how much the IOC operates almost exactly like a classic banana republic except in fast forward (setting up shop in a new country every two years, promising work promotion and profit in exchange for tax and legal concessions, pulling out with all the money and leaving the country with the bill).

They don't pull out with all of the money.  Lots of people rent apartments and make tons of cash.  The cities generally empty out because they rent out their homes for the Olympic Games.  Any massive sporting event like this disrupts everything.  

If stuff remains empty it is because the city does not have a plan for use afterwards.  

There needs to be an overhaul with respect to events.  Outside of a handful of events most of the events draw very few viewers.  Does anyone care about archery, badminton, hammer throw, discus, boxing, or wrestling?  Gymnastics, 100m dash, basketball, volleyball draw viewers.  Most events do not.

This is a great example.  Cycling.  Everyone builds a velodrome but does anyone actually compete on a professional level?  Do we need a brand new facility that gets used once?  Can we change cycling to a 10 stage Tour de France/Marathon type event which does not require a building?

Do we need sports like Judo and Equestrian that nobody watches?  Do they need buildings?  Can we cut the sports or use existing facilities?  

These are important questions the Olympics need to ask themselves.

Can we add Judo Equestrian. You ride your horsey through the jumps then if you get through to the end you fight the previous person to see who is superior. It's a holdover from the olden days when Japanese cavalry would jump over fences and for no apparent reason don gis and start having matches before going back to killing things. This is as plausible as the Biathlon.

• Like 3

Someone wrote a column recently about what if Chcago had gotten these games instead of Rio.

how would you compare zika/sewage/political unrest vs Black Lives Matter/2012 election campaign/etc, in the worlds eyes? 

It would be a mess.  The Southside is a war zone.  The municipal government is a rolling disaster.

On the flipside a lot of union construction jobs would have been created but now that the games are starting those jobs end.

The subways and mass transit would all have been upgraded.  That would have been a plus.

The political stuff?  Huge negative but I doubt the press would be covering the campaigns with such focus if the Olympics were here.  The whole media cycle would look different.

6 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Someone wrote a column recently about what if Chcago had gotten these games instead of Rio.

how would you compare zika/sewage/political unrest vs Black Lives Matter/2012 election campaign/etc, in the worlds eyes? 

Chicago is a place where you'd be as safe as anywhere else in the country unless you are in a couple very localized areas.  The violence in Chicago is crazy, but it isn't exactly wide spread.  The parts of Chicago where the violence is most prevalent is not anywhere close to where anyone going to the Olympics would ever be and that isn't an accident.  The institutional segregation, gentrification, corruption and neglect have made those parts of the city untenable.  The rise in violence over the years can be directly linked to the gentrification of a couple of very low income neighborhoods.  Previously those neighborhoods, that weren't exactly safe themselves, had their own gangs, drug dealers, etc.  Then they moved all of those people to the same two or three neighborhoods with no little to no thought into how that would effect the people who lived there.  So those neighborhoods went from being pretty bad neighborhoods with one or two gangs to places where rival gangs lived next door to each other.  So instead of a gang having a beef with another gang who was on the other side of the city, they had a beef with the people who lived the next block over.  Being in a neighborhood with one gang can be pretty bad, being in a neighborhood with 5-10 gangs leads you to having the problems that are going on in Chicago right now.  The bigger issue is that there is nowhere else for them to go.  Chicago is about as segregated as any city in the United States.  The crazy thing about Chicago is that no matter where you are in the city, how much money you make, or what you do for a living, you don't live in mixed neighborhoods.  If you are dirt poor you live with other dirt poor people of your race, if you are the Obamas, the President of the United States and filthy fucking rich, you live next to all the filthy rich black people in Chicago.  The poor black neighborhoods in Chicago are getting smaller in size but not in population and it is literally killing people.  

• Like 1