DVDVR Message Board

Olympics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

Not so fast. Great Britain's women blow their last round-robin game, and finish fourth. Canada vs UK in the semi. I just threw up in my mouth a little.

First I've heard about this. Shit.

Booooooooooooo!  Booooooooo!  hissssssss hisssssss

Outrageous.

What's happened?

Our problem is we think it's a legitimate event, meanwhile the results are most likely just as pre-arranged than the Royal Rumble match.

How the hell does one judge ice dancing anyway? If we look at the two skates, does anything other than the country you cheer for differentiate the two performances? Probably not.

I really don't see what makes our Canadian team so incredible that people can scream COMPLETE INJUSTICE.

There were a couple of really good European teams too.

To be honest part of me is starting to think this is all some perverse brilliant marketing ploy by ice dance.

I think it's the report that came out of France a few weeks back basically stating that a deal had been struck to give Russia the pairs gold, and the Americans would get the ice dancing gold in return. If the fix was actually in, there's your "COMPLETE INJUSTICE" screaming. 

Canada gets China in the men's curling semifinals, no easy road to gold for our country in curling this time around. 

I really don't see what makes our Canadian team so incredible that people can scream COMPLETE INJUSTICE.

To be honest part of me is starting to think this is all some perverse brilliant marketing ploy by ice dance.

I think it's the report that came out of France a few weeks back basically stating that a deal had been struck to give Russia the pairs gold, and the Americans would get the ice dancing gold in return. If the fix was actually in, there's your "COMPLETE INJUSTICE" screaming. 

Canada gets China in the men's curling semifinals, no easy road to gold for our country in curling this time around. 

Whichever country ends up winning gold in men's or women's curling this year is going to have really earned it. I feel bad that it was such a poor showing for the US this year, but there are some really good teams left. Just quality of game wise, I think this might have been my favourite Olympics curling tournament ever.

• Like 1

Meltdown at 3:49

Not a great start for GB in the women's semi final.. first some debris on the ice leads Canada to take two in the first end as a Canadian shot switches direction and misses everything, and then by a matter of millimeters, Canada steal one in the second end..

Oh, and if you're up, you may want to catch the men's giant slalom second run. Just saying.

You know you're addicted to curling when you set your alarm two hours early so you can get up to munch on last night's stale popcorn and watch EVE~! take on the mighty Canadians.

Hearing the American commentator go on an indignant rant about the politics and stupidity of the Scottish curling overlords makes me think he's as smitten with EVE as the rest of us.

Anyway, 4-2 at the start of the 5th. Both teams are making some crazy tricky shots.

Britain just can't come up with a two spot to tie their match with Canada. The door was open in two consecutive ends thanks to two whiffs by the same Canadian player. Unfortunately, Vicki bungled the one chance away the Jennifer Jones hit a crazy good double to stymie GB's efforts.

We go to the 9th, Team EVE~! still down 2.

Pardon the terrible pun but man that Jennifer Jones is stone cold. Even when one of her teammates botch a shot or GB makes a good one, Jones just cleans it up like it ain't no thing.

Canada with a '07 Patriots type run. Hopefully their story ends a bit differently.