DVDVR Message Board

[TV] JUNE 2016 TV DISCUSSION

RIPPA

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Actually - apparently the state of Tennessee (along with some other government agencies) is kicking in money to help cover production costs (since I guess the see it a advertisement for tourism)

Tennessee has actually had a bunch of financial incentives for filmmakers to shoot there for a while now.  They've been trying to attract a lot more business for long years, and been moderately successful.  For one example, practically every major movie about prison in the last couple decades has been shot in the old state penitentiary there, stuff like The Green Mile and whatnot.  It's no surprise that the state government might spend even more to keep a franchise show like Nashville from going under.  

7 hours ago, piranesi said:

Hmm that reminds me I need to rush into production of my new series Branson. 

If you need help writing the scene where Yakov the Magician's credit card is declined at the CD store I worked at in high school, hit me up.

1 hour ago, Jingus said:

Tennessee has actually had a bunch of financial incentives for filmmakers to shoot there for a while now.  They've been trying to attract a lot more business for long years, and been moderately successful.  For one example, practically every major movie about prison in the last couple decades has been shot in the old state penitentiary there, stuff like The Green Mile and whatnot.  It's no surprise that the state government might spend even more to keep a franchise show like Nashville from going under.  

It's crazy that Memphis Beat for the most part was filmed in New Orleans and the surrounding areas using only certain exterior shots from Memphis. 

The last notable movie I remember being in Tennessee was In the Valley of Elah and before that Walk the Line. Since then, there haven't been too many that I readily recognize.

One thing that kinda took me out of Django Unchained a bit is the fact the Big Daddy scenes and most of the third act of the movie is clearly shot in Louisiana. You never see those trees in Tennessee or Mississippi. For a movie that was shot in like 27 different locations and 3 different countries, how hard would've it have been to throw a little love to either state? WE GOT OLD TIMEY PLANTATIONS TOO, QUENTIN!

You are going to get me ranting about the pilot for Detroit 1-8-7 being shot in Atlanta. You know what Atlanta looks absolutely nothing like? Detroit.

(They did shoot the actual series in the D, but fucking Atlanta? Also 187 only means homicide in California jackasses. Michigan murder codes are in the 750s)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Kevin Smith announced that the Mallrats sequel will now be a 10 week TV show

Fuck.  We will see how much self indulgence I can take.  I assume this will be a Netflix or Amazon dealie that won't show up on normal television.

18 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

You are going to get me ranting about the pilot for Detroit 1-8-7 being shot in Atlanta. You know what Atlanta looks absolutely nothing like? Detroit.

(They did shoot the actual series in the D, but fucking Atlanta? Also 187 only means homicide in California jackasses. Michigan murder codes are in the 750s)

I'm of the opinion that the only two cities in the entire country that you can't possibly mistake for another city are Detroit and New Orleans.  There are parts of other cities that are unique, but Detroit is always Detroit and New Orleans is always New Orleans.

Fareed Zakaria has hit one out of the park.  Why They Hate Us, this CNN short documentary on Islamic Extremism. is fucking fascinating. 

This shit needs to go off in a half hour so I don't miss Part One of the epic OJ 30 For 30 joint.

You mother fuckers also need to check out Blood Antiquities on National Geographic On Demand.  It is all about the recent explosion of artifacts smuggling, specifically the antiquities looted and sold on the black market by the Islamic State.

On 6/10/2016 at 7:06 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

The last notable movie I remember being in Tennessee was In the Valley of Elah and before that Walk the Line. Since then, there haven't been too many that I readily recognize.

The last movie that was filmed here that actually made decent money was the Hannah Montana movie.

Oh, and to counter-act the Walk the Line argument: Hustle & Flow and Black Snake Moan.

36 minutes ago, Casey said:

The last movie that was filmed here that actually made decent money was the Hannah Montana movie.

Oh, and to counter-act the Walk the Line argument: Hustle & Flow and Black Snake Moan.

Didn't have a chance to see Black Snake Moan.

Hustle and Flow came out before Walk the Line.

They just did this great bit on the Tonys were the were talking about all the Broadway folks who have also been on TV

And every single clip was from Law & Order

There were like 7 or 8 folks including one guy who had been on Law & Order SIX times (all different characters)