DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Phase III Movie Discussion Thread

RIPPA

4 hours ago, The Natural said:

tumblr_p06mndX7jc1w0gw85o6_540.gif

The good and bad thing about Killmonger being such an amazing villain and a great character is that it sets a really high bar for Thanos.

Thanos will absolutely have to be Dark Knight Joker levels of awesome just to meet expectations.

Josh Brolin will have to be totally on fucking point to pull that off.  No pressure.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, J.T. said:

The good and bad thing about Killmonger being such an amazing villain and a great character is that it sets a really high bar for Thanos.

Thanos will absolutely have to be Dark Knight Joker levels of awesome just to meet expectations.

Josh Brolin will have to be totally on fucking point to pull that off.  No pressure.

Plus the very long build towards Thanos as well.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, J.T. said:

The one two punch of Thanos being incompetent and me finding Josh Brolin to be thoroughly unlikeable on and off screen makes me doubt they'll pull it off.

1. Winter Soldier
  2. Avengers
  3. Civil War
  4. Ragnarok 
  5. Age of Ultron
  6. Black Panther
  7. Iron Man
  8. Gaurdians of the Galaxy

And so on.

A largely stand-alone entry topping Iron Man is high praise from me. Had something to say and had plenty of cool visuals. Good stuff. 

I'm just a sucker for movies that have plenty of major/established characters. Or Captain America. Infinity War will rank high on my meaningless rankings. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mickie Zeidler said:

You're the first person I've ever seen who ranks Age of Ultron above last place.

I know embracing Age of Ultron tends to be a controversial opinion, but slow your roll. We still live in a world with The Dark World and more than one stand-alone Iron Man movie. 

Thor: Ragnarok
Spiderman 2 (2004)
Captain America: The First Avenger
Guardians of the Galaxy
X-Men: First Class
Captain America: Winter Soldier
Captain America: Civil War
Black Panther
Doctor Strange
Guardians of the Galaxy 2

--------Enjoyed but probably not going to rewatch-------
Iron Man
Spiderman (2001)
X-Men: Days Of Future Past
Spiderman: Homecoming
Ant-Man
X2
The Avengers
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Blade
X-Men
Fantastic Four Rise Of The Silver Surfer
Logan
The Wolverine
X-Men: The Last Stand
Deadpool
Fantastic Four (2005)

-----------Boring-----------
Blade Trinity
Daredevil
Thor
X-Men: Apocalypse
--------Bad Films------------
Amazing Spiderman 2
Iron Man 2
The Amazing Spiderman
Blade II
X-Men Origins: Wolverine
Ghost Rider
Iron Man 3
Spiderman 3
Elektra
Thor The Dark World
------Fuck you for making this------
Hulk (2003)

My top MCU, no order:

• Captain America: Winter Soldier
  • Avengers
  • Thor: Ragnarok
  • Black Panther
  • Iron Man
  • Spider-man: Homecoming
  • Guardians of the Galaxy 2

Those top three are probably my actual top 3 and probably in that order. It gets hard to actually rank them after Ragnarok. I haven't really seen an MCU film I really dislike though Dark World comes the closest.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Eivion said:

Enjoyed both Iron man sequels immensely even with complaints. Same with Ultron.

11 hours ago, Eivion said:

Enjoyed both Iron man sequels immensely even with complaints. Same with Ultron.

The MCU movies with corny humor and jokey villains are the ones I can't get into. The movies in my top 5 steer clear of all that. 

Ah, Guardians of the Galaxy - noted serious MCU film that stayed clear of corny humor. I must have dreamt the scene where Starlord was break dancing infront of Ronan to distract him. Or the two or three characters on the team that were the comic relief most of the time (Rocket, Groot, Drax). Yeah, they were robbed of a Best Drama nomination. I also don't know how Whiplash, Aldrich Killian or Ultron are "jokey villains". Literally every villain in the MCU has made jokes, except for maybe Red Skull but it's been awhile since I saw the first Captain America (and won't watch it again because fuck that movie).

• Like 2

I like how Roland hated the Eric Bana Hulk movie (which I actually still kinda like) so much that he blocked out them making a second, arguably worse Hulk movie that is an official member of the MCU (and constantly fistfights in my head with The Dark World as to which one is the worst MCU entry). It's also not the worst from the post-Raimi Spider-Man "let's make all the comic books" era as a whole; Elektra or Ghost Rider would take that Razzie in a walk. People who say otherwise aren't paying attention.

Having said that, I do see how a few of the criticisms of Ang Lee's movie at the time were on point, such as, "How do you take the guy from Chopper and make him less interesting?" See also: DCU, Nolan, Hardy, BronsonDark Knight Rises

1 hour ago, Contentious C said:

I like how Roland hated the Eric Bana Hulk movie (which I actually still kinda like) so much that he blocked out them making a second, arguably worse Hulk movie that is an official member of the MCU (and constantly fistfights in my head with The Dark World as to which one is the worst MCU entry). It's also not the worst from the post-Raimi Spider-Man "let's make all the comic books" era as a whole; Elektra or Ghost Rider would take that Razzie in a walk. People who say otherwise aren't paying attention.

Having said that, I do see how a few of the criticisms of Ang Lee's movie at the time were on point, such as, "How do you take the guy from Chopper and make him less interesting?" See also: DCU, Nolan, Hardy, BronsonDark Knight Rises

Come now, Hardy's Bane is only good thing in Dark Knight Rises aside from Anne Hathaway on the Batpod.

• Like 2