DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Phase III Movie Discussion Thread

RIPPA

Iron Man 3 was my biggest disappointment. It's with the Mandarin twist as before that, he was menacing AND in the trailers as this terrorist leader.

Instead we get another business man with a grudge. Tony builds shitty armour in the Mk 48, controlling it remotely and arc reactor removal.

9 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Iron Man 3 still has Marvel's best end credits sequence. It becomes even better when you realize you don't have to keep watching Iron Man 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxL1p99EVCQ 

Embedding not allowed. 

Marvel Studios are good at them. Avengers Assemble, Iron Man 3, all three Captain America's and Thor: Ragnarok merit mentions. Captain America: The Winter Soldier has the best.

18 hours ago, Matt D said:

There’s plenty redeemable about all of those but Iron Man 2, bit they’re probably still the bottom 5.

I'll have a go:

14. Avengers: Age of Ultron. One of Stan Lee's best cameos. Party scene. Hulk vs. Hulkbuster.

15. Iron Man 3. The Mandarin before the reveal. Rebecca Hall. MIA as AIM.

16. Thor: The Dark World. When Thor and Loki are together. The funeral. Cap's cameo.

17. Iron Man 2. Black Widow's debut especially her opening scene. Mjolnir post-credits.

18. The Incredible Hulk. Stan Lee cameo and Tony Stark showing up.

Finally saw Black Panther. I didn't read back through the thread so I'm sure I'm repeating at least one other person's issues, but I didn't care for it. Plenty to admire from a technical and performance perspective, but it decided instead of just being a fun comic book movie to bring up moral and ethical dilemmas it was in no position as a major studio action movie to be on the right side of. It's kind of disheartening and gross, but I guess it's not surprising. 

57 minutes ago, (BP) said:

Finally saw Black Panther. I didn't read back through the thread so I'm sure I'm repeating at least one other person's issues, but I didn't care for it. Plenty to admire from a technical and performance perspective, but it decided instead of just being a fun comic book movie to bring up moral and ethical dilemmas it was in no position as a major studio action movie to be on the right side of. It's kind of disheartening and gross, but I guess it's not surprising. 

I don't know man comic books have always woven and tied superheroes to politics such as X-Men being maybe the best example back in the 70s and 80s.  I am fine with it but I can see why others view these movies as "let me escape from this shitty world for a minute"  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, (BP) said:

Plenty to admire from a technical and performance perspective, but it decided instead of just being a fun comic book movie to bring up moral and ethical dilemmas it was in no position as a major studio action movie to be on the right side of. 

I try not to think of anything good as representing the voice of the studio. Rather, the studio is a necessary evil.

I look at it as good artists getting a big megaphone and slipping some of their medicine into the water supply. 

Or some other mixed metaphor. 

They brought up questions no one required them to ask and arrived at the wrong answers. Coogler clearly wanted to give Jordan a lot to chew on, and it spites the movie because it ends with the eponymous character killing the character they've done a very persuasive job of portraying as the actual protagonist. 

I don't think it was Disney saying much, they probably agree with some of the themes and views but rather it's Coogler who has a lot to say. But I appreciate this approach more so than paint by the numbers. Marvel has a successful formula sure but the MCU has reached a point now where it doesn't even matter if they stick to the formula or not,   they are trusted in that whatever they put out will probably be good to great.  Even the 4 or 5 MCU films that I thought were terrible,  a lot of people enjoyed and like. 

1 minute ago, (BP) said:

killing the character they've done a very persuasive job of portraying as the actual protagonist.

Oh I don't know about that dude I think they were complex characters who did some things we agree with and had other approaches that were questionable.  It reminded me of Koba in the Planet of the Apes series.  I was cheering for him at times because he raised some good points but end of the day he was too out there,  too reckless and felt his way was the only way.  

What I like about Koba and Killmonger is that while they were clear villains they altered the way the protagonist views some issues. 

I always thought that the end credits for CA: Winter Solder were the best,

but now all of the MCU movies have similarly stylized animated end credits so these don't seem so special anymore.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Arguably, superheroes have been political since Superman was fighting corruption and everyone fought against Uncle Adolf. 

X-Men started off as a veiled social critique about racism and commentary about the Civil Rights movement.

If you had any question about which character represented Malcolm X...

magneto_x___by_any_means_necessary_by_an

T'Challa is just not written strongly, and it's only noticeable because all of the other characters are so fleshed out. Coogler just hits notes with him that he already played with better in Creed while making everyone else interesting, defined people with clear motivations. Other than having a vague idea of wanting to be a good king, he doesn't have a real direction until the very end of the movie. We're supposed to care about this guy who's in his thirties and somehow never put any thought into how he'd lead his people when his father passed because he's nice and we're sure he'll figure it out. Meanwhile everyone around him has layers and everything they do in the movie is a logical extension of how they think and what they've been through. I'd rather watch a movie about almost any one of them more than one about T'Challa.

Since they've opened up a can of worms, I hope they have the nerve to at least explore exactly what would happen if Wakanda revealed itself in the real world. The next movie should be about Western governments trying to influence an Arab Spring in Wakanda to "spread democracy" because T'Challa won't sell them arms. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, (BP) said:

Other than having a vague idea of wanting to be a good king, he doesn't have a real direction until the very end of the movie.

T'Challa does have a real direction.  The problem is that it is inherited from his father and the movie is all about him discovering that he can make is own way in the world and doesn't have to be the same type of king as his predecessors were.

Shuri and Nakia both embody the opposing philosophies in that conflict aka doing the right thing and doing what is expected of you can be mutually exclusive concepts.

1 hour ago, (BP) said:

Since they've opened up a can of worms, I hope they have the nerve to at least explore exactly what would happen if Wakanda revealed itself in the real world. The next movie should be about Western governments trying to influence an Arab Spring in Wakanda to "spread democracy" because T'Challa won't sell them arms. 

Yes, it will be very interesting to see what develops in the MCU now that one of the emerging super powers on Earth is an African nation that has never experienced the sting of colonization and is the sole possessor of the most valuable substance in known existence..

• Like 3