DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Phase III Movie Discussion Thread

RIPPA

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

I rank Cap 1 in my top 5! It's not my fault you guys don't appreciate Joe Johnston. 

And half of you guys are the worst and the other half of you are bizarros. I have no idea which is which anymore.

I agree with this, too!

I remember at the time that I merely 'liked' Cap 1 coming out of the theater, but I couldn't shake the feeling that what I'd just watched was an overlong advertisement for the first Avengers movie.

Since then, with the gaudy spectacle of Avengers 1 in the rearview mirror, the emotional core of Cap 1 stands out so much more. Everyone hits their notes just right in it, the love story just crushes me every time, and it's even disappointing to me that Hugo Weaving has such a bug up his ass about having been Red Skull (because if there were one villain you could bring back who'd find some way to dick over Thanos when it mattered most...). Of all the movies they've done, Cap 1 has easily aged the best.

It aged so well, in fact, that DC stole it and called it Wonder Woman!

5 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I'm not going to get super thrilled yet. At one point we had Joss Wheadon, Jon Favreau, and Kenneth Brannagh directing some of these movies. We thought that was amazing until they all flamed out for one reason or another.

Everyone burns out for one reason or another.  This is why we need Kevin Feige to stay on top of his game and keep bringing in the talented folks that care about making quality movies that just happen to be about superheroes and not make just superhero movies.

2 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Everyone burns out for one reason or another.  This is why we need Kevin Feige to stay on top of his game and keep bringing in the talented folks that care about making quality movies that just happen to be about superheroes and not make just superhero movies.

Basically, keep doing the opposite of Katherine Kennedy (although I think she's stumbled into success with the directors that have stuck around).

14 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Basically, keep doing the opposite of Katherine Kennedy (although I think she's stumbled into success with the directors that have stuck around).

The problem for Lucasfilm is that the answer to What Would Stan Lee Do? has a lot less baggage attached to it than What Would George Lucas Do?

4 minutes ago, Matt D said:

He lives within all of us as part of the Source Wall?

Indeed he does.

Point being that Star Wars is saddled with a lot of mythology and canon associated with them that people expect to see.

It just seems like there is more on the line in the making a good Star Wars movie than it is in the making of a good Marvel movie.

1 minute ago, Matt D said:

They stick to A spirit of the comics, not the dogma of them.

Because they don't have to deal with the Canon Police like Star Wars movie makers do, but at least the things that make the Canon Police angry makes some sort of sense.

2 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Because they don't have to deal with the Canon Police like Star Wars movie makers do, but at least the things that make the Canon Police angry makes some sort of sense.

Last Jedi and Rebels says "Fuck the Canon Police"

1 minute ago, Raziel said:

Last Jedi and Rebels says "Fuck the Canon Police"

But they are capable of doing decent things sometimes like calling out from Karen Traviss on her Mandalorians Good /Jedi Bad bullshit.

5 hours ago, Matt D said:

I'm not sure why people are so low on Guardians 2. Yes, it was more of the same to a degree but it was coupled with a lot of solid character arcs (Yondu, Nebula/Gamora, Quill/Ego, Drax/Mantis), one of the best, most complete villains in the MCU (and that's usually the MCU's biggest problem), almost endless imagination, jokes that hit almost throughout, good music, massive amounts of worldbuilding to the point where there's something happening/introduced every moment. At the same time it felt light and effortless. Other than the fact that it didn't have enough Batman and Punisher for some of you, what were the specific flaws? 

Elementary school level playground humor is the biggest flaw. Other than that,  I have no issue with anything else going on in the film.  But some of that dialogue is grating. 

The thing Spider-Man needs for his next film is no MCU.  It's okay to have a cameo or two but get Stark the hell out of here and allow Spider-Man to be Spider-Man.  Honestly, Spider-Man Homecoming was pretty good but a step down from the first two Raimis.

On 3/6/2018 at 2:46 PM, Matt D said:

They stick to A spirit of the comics, not the dogma of them.

That's why we got a M'baku *not* draped in a white gorilla skin, and we're decidedly better for it.

36 minutes ago, nate said:

That's why we got a M'baku *not* draped in a white gorilla skin, and we're decidedly better for it.

Yes and we got a M'Baku and not this:

"I laid on him my vision of the film being closer to what you see now: the whole world of Africa being a hidden, highly technically advanced society, cloaked by a force field, Vibranium," Snipes begins. "John was like, 'Nah! Hah! Hah! See, he’s got the spirit of the Black Panther, but he is trying to get his son to join the [civil rights activist] organization. And he and his son have a problem, and they have some strife because he is trying to be politically correct and his son wants to be a knucklehead.' "

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/black-panther-wesley-snipes-reveals-untold-story-behind-90s-film-1078868

And according to EW, Bucky...

Spoiler

is now The White Wolf, as he was referred to at the end of BP.

And all y'all arguing about Black Panther seem to have forgotten is that NAKIA was the one who said the same to T'Challa, but to help people, not incite revolution as Killmonger stated.