DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Phase III Movie Discussion Thread

RIPPA

19 minutes ago, J.T. said:

If you had any question about which character represented Malcolm X...

Now I'm imagining every time Magneto hears someone shout' "Get your hand out of my pocket," in a public place he mercs them with a paper clip and makes a run for it. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, (BP) said:

Now I'm imagining every time Magneto hears someone shout' "Get your hand out of my pocket," in a public place he mercs them with a paper clip and makes a run for it. 

Ha!

And yes, Coogler has obviously taken the Professor X / Magneto dynamic and infused it into T'Challa and Erik Killmonger.

Is T'Challa really such a bad guy for not trusting the outside world with Wakandan technology or Vibranium?

As much as you sympathize with Erik Killmonger's ideology and lament his lost childhood, is this really the man you want on the Wakandan throne?

• Like 4

On 3/3/2018 at 2:01 PM, HumanChessgame said:

Is there an infinity stone in Wakanda or is the magic herb just a byproduct of the vibranium deposits?

The thought is that since the herb allows the user to speak to souls who have passed on that there is a soul stone buried somewhere under Wakanda or that the soul stone was embedded within the meteor that struck Wakanda forever ago.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Ha!

And yes, Coogler has obviously taken the Professor X / Magneto dynamic and infused it into T'Challa and Erik Killmonger.

Is T'Challa really such a bad guy for not trusting the outside world with Wakandan technology or Vibranium?

As much as you sympathize with Erik Killmonger's ideology and lament his lost childhood, is this really the man you want on the Wakandan throne?

I don't think anyone would want him on the throne, but he does have some good ideas that maybe a better, more stable leader should adopt.

Killmonger is literally the embodiment of "You're not wrong, you're just an asshole."

31 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I don't think anyone would want him on the throne, but he does have some good ideas that maybe a better, more stable leader should adopt.

Eh,  T'Challa and Killmonger are the carrot and stick sides of the same argument.  They both want to combat social and racial injustice, but TChalla wants do it through diplomacy while Killmonger wants to do it through revolt and conquest..

The interesting hitch is that both of them aim to achieve their goal through some form of coercion and Vibranium is a bargaining chip like no other.. 

Killmonger would've used Vibranium weapons to arm insurgents and sow chaos while T'Challa can now peddle his influence and reward nations that see things his way by granting them access to Wakandan technology or he can punish nations that do not agree with his ideology by withholding Vibranium or imposing other sanctions.

T'Challa is now the kinder, gentler Erik Killmonger and Vibranium is the new Spice Melange.

15 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Killmonger is literally the embodiment of "You're not wrong, you're just an asshole."

Yeah, but I think if that's what they're going for show me Killmonger as someone who's so blinded by his hatred of his family that he's clearly going to screw up everything beyond that. Like, the council wants to discuss governing with him and he's too busy commissioning an oil painting of himself throwing T'Challa into the falls or he's ransacking his sister's lab. He takes the throne and moves on immediately to his next agenda. He's just too efficient and sharp on top of mostly being right. I'm never sold on him being consumed with hatred and unstable. 

All I know is that Don Cheadle must be the happiest guy in Hollywood right now.  Now that Black Superheroes are the new hotness someone is probably working on a War Machine spin-off as we speak.

As long as I get my Brother Voodoo led Midnight Sons series on ABC, I will be okay.

I spent ~5 minutes in the movie thinking about who else could they use on the big screen for the next phase, discounting X-Men, Spider-Man, or FF characters. It's a little bit tricky. That assumes no Namor or Silver Surfer or Starjammers or Longshot (or Captain Britain?) or whatever. We're in a world where Silver Sable is off the table as a Spider-verse character, so...

Someone like Moon Knight works a lot better as a Netflix show. In a world where you have an Ant-Man movie, maybe Wonder Man works, but it's a stretch. They can't do the Angela thing after already playing the sister card with Hela.

Ms. Marvel is my #1 choice. Thunderbolts could well work if they really focus on the initial premise and not the Suicide Squad version. Shang Chi feels like a very solid (and marketable) choice. A western. A period piece with the Black Knight (or sort of a globetrotting archaeological action adventure thing).  Maybe they could do Agents of ATLAS set in the 50s and over the top old sci fi style? If not that, then Killraven?

It's tough. On the one hand, Guardians and Ant-Man prove that basically ANYTHING could work, but you also need a quasi independent genre and something that can really carry a movie and that wouldn't be better served as a show. 

29 minutes ago, Matt D said:

It's tough. On the one hand, Guardians and Ant-Man prove that basically ANYTHING could work, but you also need a quasi independent genre and something that can really carry a movie and that wouldn't be better served as a show. 

Anything can work as long as you have writers and directors that give a shit about the content.

If Marvel really wanted to diversify and prevent the oversaturation of the MCU, they'd do something with their stand alone material like Strikeforce Morituri or they'd untangle material like Longshot from its future integration and keep it separate.

7 minutes ago, Mickie Zeidler said:

Strikeforce: Morituri  is creator owned.

That sucks.

7 minutes ago, Mickie Zeidler said:

Whatever happened to that Damage Control pilot?  Everyone cast for it appeared in Homecoming and everything.

I think you answered your own question.

9 minutes ago, Mickie Zeidler said:

A "put pilot" means it has to be aired, or the development team gets a hefty bonus.  Seems like bad business for Disney.

It's only bad business if the show would've been a success.  If it would've sucked, killing it before it aired would be a good call.

They may be using the Agent Coulson formula and establishing the characters in the movies before putting them on television.  We may se the DODC in IW scrapping Thanos's Ferris Wheel O'Dom in the end credit scene for IW.

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

I don't see how that would work better as a movie than a TV show.

I guess it would be a budget issue. How cheap is the rubble they would have to clean up every week? I would think on a tv budget, it would be more Offfice than anything. 

4 hours ago, Craig H said:

The thought is that since the herb allows the user to speak to souls who have passed on that there is a soul stone buried somewhere under Wakanda or that the soul stone was embedded within the meteor that struck Wakanda forever ago.

Coogler confirmed there is no Infinity Stone in Wakanda.

• Like 1

Could also just be deflection. If you watch the previews for Infinity War, it certainly looks like there's a lot of fighting in Wakanda. Wouldn't surprise me if it was deflection and Thanos is attacking Wakanda to get the last stone.

Also, this (https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2313431/black-panther-director-ryan-coogler-explains-his-infinity-stone-decision) isn't the same as saying there's no Infinity Stone in Wakanda. This is saying there wasn't a need to include it in Black Panther because it already had a macguffin with the vibranium. Doesn't mean there's no soul stone in Wakanda.

There are definite contradictions toward Black Panther being so socially and morally progressive and also justifying Wakanda's violent and barbaric way of coronating its new king with gladiatorial fights to the death. Know the true mettle of your candidates by making them strip to their skivvies and fight to the death over a giant waterfall. But once again. It's a work of fiction and comic book film. I enjoyed Black Panther, but it's not going to fix all the problems in the world. 

However progressive it might be technologically, you would expect an isolated nation, especially one with a relatively stable society/government to change slowly if at all culturally. Forms of government would change very little without some impetus to do so.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, (BP) said:

Yeah, but I think if that's what they're going for show me Killmonger as someone who's so blinded by his hatred of his family that he's clearly going to screw up everything beyond that. Like, the council wants to discuss governing with him and he's too busy commissioning an oil painting of himself throwing T'Challa into the falls or he's ransacking his sister's lab. He takes the throne and moves on immediately to his next agenda. He's just too efficient and sharp on top of mostly being right. I'm never sold on him being consumed with hatred and unstable. 

That was him burning the garden.