DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Phase III Movie Discussion Thread

RIPPA

Chris Evans on bearded Captain America:

156976.jpg

There was a lot to digest in Marvel's first teaser trailer for Avengers: Infinity War, but among the most talked-about things from it was Steve Rogers/Captain America's (Nomad's?) new beard. In fact, of all the glorious moments in the trailer - which was the most viewed trailer of all time in the first 24 hours - Captain America's beard garnered the most attention with 20,474 mentions.

In a recent interview on the Thirst Aid Kit podcast, Steve Rogers actor Chris Evans was asked about the overwhelming response to his facial hair in the trailer. Turns out, he appreciated it.

“Well that’s good." Evans said. "That’s good, because I like it too. I mean, I usually live my life with a beard. I’m not a huge fan of shaving, and it just provides a little bit of anonymity at times. I was really excited that the Russos and Marvel were willing to kinda give that look a shot."

Marvel fans got a glimpse of Captain America's new beard back in July when the first Infinity War footage screened at San Diego Comic-Con. The facial hair sparked plenty of speculation about Cap's future, which Evans is excited about.

"I think it’s cool!" he added. "I think it kind of changes things up. We’ve seen Cap the same way so many times. He’s such a throwback, he’s such a classic. It kind of gives him a little bit of a modern vibe."

And in case you were wondering how long it takes him to grow such a luscious beard, Evans revealed,"It actually grows pretty quick, luckily. I think I can get a pretty full beard in maybe a month, maybe three to four weeks."

We'll be able to see if there's a deeper meaning behind the facial hair, or if it really is just about modernizing the character for audiences, when Avengers: Infinity War hits theaters May 4, 2018.

More Chris Evans:

5z1gs4.jpg

Chris Evans appeared at Ace Comic-Con this past weekend alongside fellow Avengers: Infinity War stars Sebastian Stan and Anthony Mackie, just days after Avengers 4 finished shooting. A number of topics were touched on during the panel but the Captain America actor's most interesting comments came when he was asked about why exactly it's so rewarding being part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

"That was the best part of this movie, is that you really kind of, it really was for the first time for me feeling like… the first few movies it’s almost like it’s happening to somebody else. You kind of feel like you’re watching it happen, but you’re not actually a part of it. This was kind of the first movie where you actually felt like you had a seat at the table and you belonged and it was so nice to have all these other franchises that you’ve watched and admired come to a set where you’re like oh man, I belong here, and all these great people are part of a movie that we’re all doing together, and it was just wonderful because all of those franchises, well, let’s be honest. Marvel doesn’t miss. They haven’t missed yet. They’re batting a thousand."

Evans isn't wrong and it must have been immensely satisfying standing alongside the stars of other Marvel franchises knowing that they've all been hits and that Avengers: Infinity War will be the same. 

As for Marvel Studios seemingly being able to do no wrong, Evans added: "I don’t know how they do that. They don’t miss and so to see all these actors come together from all these other franchises that I’ve seen as fans be exchanging dialogue with me was overwhelming and really just so satisfying because really truly, there’s not one bad apple." As you can see, Evans is extremely confident! 

Why wouldn't he be, though? Are you excited to see Cap back in action in Avengers: Infinity War andAvengers 4? As always, be sure to let us know your thoughts in the comments section down below. 

I don't usually mess with movie opening weekends, but I may have to make an exception for Black Panther.  Now I have to decide if I want to go to the Friday evening show or the Sunday matinee with the after-church crowd.

Nerds worldwide are probably losing their shit because Tony is breaking out a new set of armor for IW with a similar design to the Model 38 (Bleeding Edge).

Appropriate since IIRC the Model 38 armor's design was based on the Mark II and Mark III armors from the Iron Man movies.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Yay for Nebula.

Boo for no Ant-Man.

The Ant Man and the Wasp points out that after the events of Civil War, Scott gets put on house arrest. So perhaps that explains his absence thus far.

Actually, fuck that explanation. A galactic menace is threatening to destroy the world. Who fucking cares about house arrest at that point?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Craig H said:

The Ant Man and the Wasp points out that after the events of Civil War, Scott gets put on house arrest. So perhaps that explains his absence thus far.

He was aided in his escape from a maximum security prison designed to contain metahumans because of the Sokovian Accord violation. 

The members of Team Cap should be back in super jail; not on house arrest. 

I'm guessing that a certain King of Wakanda spoke on their behalf and everything was okay again.

24 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Actually, fuck that explanation. A galactic menace is threatening to destroy the world. Who fucking cares about house arrest at that point?

Current politics taken into consideration, I'd laugh my ass off if the Mayor of NYC declared that NYC was a Superhero Sanctuary City as thanks for keeping the Tri-State Area from being blown off the map since WW2.

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

He was aided in his escape from a maximum security prison designed to contain metahumans because of the Sokovian Accord violation. 

The members of Team Cap should be back in super jail; not on house arrest. 

I could be misremembering the end of Civil War, but the impression I got was that they would be back in super jail if the US government had them, but they don't. They're in Wakanda, where the local government is presumably uninterested in arresting them.

20 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

I could be misremembering the end of Civil War, but the impression I got was that they would be back in super jail if the US government had them, but they don't.

The only two members of Team Cap that were accounted for as being in Wakanda the end of CW for IIRC were Cap and Winter Soldier.  Cap is there at T'Challa's laboratory when Bucky puts himself into cryo.

I do seem to recall T'Challa saying something about offering someone asylum, so I suppose that meant that Ant-Man, Hawkeye, and Scarlet Witch were also in Wakanda as of the end of the CW portion of the MCU timeline.

in a move that will surprise no one, Disney has not imposed a review embargo for Black Panther.

With 65 reviews in (15 from Top Critics) it is sitting on a 100% Fresh rating.

As if this movie needs more buzz.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

in a move that will surprise no one, Disney has not imposed a review embargo for Black Panther.

100% fresh after 74 reviews, wow. Hoping to see Black Panther ASAP. I've a number of appointments this month.

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

Fitting Black Panther GIF:

giphy.gif

@J.T. ‘bout to hurt Ed Powers, I bet. Just went down to 99% a few minutes ago.

Black Panther spirals into a stodgy tale of internecine feuding, in which T'Challa is required to come to terms with the sins of past generations. What he doesn't get to do much of is jump around beating-up bad guys. That's a shame.

What the fuck does that even mean.

• Haha 1