DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Phase III Movie Discussion Thread

RIPPA

22 hours ago, Casey said:

Feige said something bad happens within the first 5 minutes of Infinity War that'll immediately make people hate Thanos.

RIP Xandar

I approve of this since no one has done all that much to establish Thanos as the Omega level threat he should be.

The fact that Ronan walked out of Sanctuary without so much as a pimp slap from Thanos in GoTG Vol. 1 still bothers me.

Would he destroy a whole planet? And how? Presumably, he wouldn't get or have the proper gems to pull that offer right away. I almost think he kills a character brutally. Makes me want to go back to the trailer to see if anyone is missing from the shot where the Guardians welcome Thor.

Or maybe Thanos attacks the ship with all of the Asgardians, Thor is jettisoned out into space, Loki makes a deal with Thanos to give him the Tesseract, and Thanos murders Loki anyway.

7 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Would he destroy a whole planet?

Yes.

7 minutes ago, Craig H said:

And how?

Better question.:) Possibly he gets the power gem (that's the one being kept on Xandar, right?), murdering that sympathetic Xandarian police officer on the way, then destroys the planet out of spite?

10 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Or maybe Thanos attacks the ship with all of the Asgardians, Thor is jettisoned out into space, Loki makes a deal with Thanos to give him the Tesseract, and Thanos murders Loki anyway.

I actually thought about that very scenario after I posted RIP Xandar (in jest). I think it's likely, and explains why all the Asgardians are dead when Loki presents the Tesseract to Thanos and why Thor is flying through space and eventually encounters the Guardians.

But if he was to destroy Xandar - surely the Chitari aren't extinct or anything after the Battle of New York. An alien invasion led by Thanos could do some incredible damage, I'd imagine.

Oh shit, ok, so two things. One, I forgot about the Chitari. Two, yeah, if Thanos is responsible for killing John C. Reilly's character and his family, that would ratchet up the hate for Thanos.

I'm guessing he kills the Asgardians and it's murdering Loki that really gets folks mad.

Killing Loki within the first five minutes of the movie would be huge in getting him hate and marking him as a serious threat to kill someone of such note that quickly. We know what he's going to do to Hulk from the trailer. Heimdall, Korg, Valkyrie and Meek are all there too but Meek has dodged death once before so hopefully he can again and I don't see them killing Valkyrie so quickly after debuting her.

10 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Aw shit. I'm now sad thinking about Korg dying. Yeah, killing all of them will make me want to hate Thanos and make me want to see Drax or Thor or someone pound Thanos' head into purple goo.

If this article is to be believed, Korg & Miek will have a healthy shelf life in the MCU.

I think the Thanos obliterates Xandar to secure the Power Gem is a more likely scenario.

• Like 1

I mean, that article is talking about maybe doing One Shots or some YouTube shorts, not confirming (or even denying) that they'll be in future movies like Infinity War.

Don't get me wrong, Korg joining the Guardians of the Galaxy would be amazing if they don't do anymore Thor movies. Which is entirely possible.

4 minutes ago, Casey said:

I mean, that article is talking about maybe doing One Shots or some YouTube shorts, not confirming (or even denying) that they'll be in future movies like Infinity War..

When a guy like Feige says he has "big plans" for characters, I tend not to think that those characters will be relegated to One Shots or YouTube shorts..

And just because Korg & Miek may possibly play a major role in IW doesn't mean that they will survive it.

Fuck. Yes. I would happily take more of Korg in Guardians of the Galaxy. Taika is only doing the voiceover work for him and not any sort of motion capture, right?

In fact, how about just more of Taika Waititi in the MCU. I want a trip your balls off Doctor Strange sequel. Fuck, if you can get Fantastic Four, give him that. Give him all the things that don't have to be super serious and just let the Russos handle those projects.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, J.T. said:

When a guy like Feige says he has "big plans" for characters, I tend not to think that those characters will be relegated to One Shots or YouTube shorts..

And just because Korg & Miek may possibly have major roles in IW doesn't mean that they will survive it.

Also doesn't mean that they won't be brought back to life like many of us are thinking happens to everyone after they die in IW.

4 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Also doesn't mean that they won't be brought back to life like many of us are thinking happens to everyone after they die in IW.

IW won't have any gravitas if the alleged deaths aren't permanent or meaningful and you can't sell Thanos as a Class A galactic menace if he doesn't follow through on his quest for universal genocide.

4 minutes ago, J.T. said:

And just because Korg & Miek may possibly play a major role in IW doesn't mean that they will survive it.

I mean, Feige said he had big plans for them then the article goes directly into discussing one shot DVD extras and the possibility of more stuff like Daryl & Thor YouTube videos for the two. How am I supposed to take it?

And there's absolutely no way Korg & Miek play a major role in Infinity War. I love the two characters too but that's just crazy talk.

8 minutes ago, Casey said:

And there's absolutely no way Korg & Miek play a major role in Infinity War. I love the two characters too but that's just crazy talk.

Disney will follow the Porg Rule.  If there is marketing money to be made by showcasing Korg & Miek in a major way, they are not going to leave cash on the table.

I could see them as Valkryie's sidekicks if she gets her own movie, provided that they all survive IW and the movies that may branch off of that meta arc.

I'm not sure you can do a World War Hulk do-over with Hulk, Korg, and Miek since the Resistance has already overthrown the Grandmaster in Thor: Ragnarok

24 minutes ago, Casey said:

That's weird because I haven't seen Korg & Miek plush dolls anywhere.

Korg is made out of rocks, man. 

Who would want a plushie of him when you could have a nice and solid Funko Pop for your nerd cave instead?

41Lj1szBd0L._SY450_.jpg

With Tom Hiddleston being iffy about whether or not he wants to make MCU movies anymore and with the possibility of the Kong-verse becoming an actual thing, I am guessing that Loki could be one of the first casualties, especially since he seems to have made peace with his brother and can go out as a sympathetic character.

Loki isn't going to die as a sympathetic character. At least he shouldn't, anyway. His head should be popped like a pimple by Thanos for fucking him over in the first place, but only after double crossing everyone he knows one last time in order to gain some sliver of power in the universe. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Casey said:

Loki isn't going to die as a sympathetic character. At least he shouldn't, anyway. His head should be popped like a pimple by Thanos for fucking him over in the first place, but only after double crossing everyone he knows one last time in order to gain some sliver of power in the universe. 

Eh, there is so much divergence that I don't see why Loki's face turn can't be made permanent.  Then you could sacrifice Loki on the altar of redemption and give Thor an even bigger dog in the fight.

It's not like Loki can have any design's on Odin's throne anymore with Odin perma-dead and Asgard the realm reduced to a cinder by Surtur.

The dialogue for Thanos taunting Thor for a lack of gratitude for doing Thor a favor and offing his formerly traitorous brother practically writes itself.

• Like 1

Pretty much that, exactly. What more does Loki have to fight for? I just see him making a bargain to hand over the Tesseract to Thanos in exchange for sparing his life and Thanos kills Loki anyway for failing him in the first place.

48 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Fuck. Yes. I would happily take more of Korg in Guardians of the Galaxy. Taika is only doing the voiceover work for him and not any sort of motion capture, right?

In fact, how about just more of Taika Waititi in the MCU. I want a trip your balls off Doctor Strange sequel. Fuck, if you can get Fantastic Four, give him that. Give him all the things that don't have to be super serious and just let the Russos handle those projects.

Doctor Strange sequel by Taika Waititi is a great suggestion. Yes please to that.