DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Phase III Movie Discussion Thread

RIPPA

22 minutes ago, Sublime said:

Watched Ragnarok Saturday and I loved it. This is a movie feels truly a big as a Thor movie should. The first two Thor movies felt too small to properly be a story about gods who protect the 9 realms. Ragnarok felt properly big enough it was funny, it had heart, it was exciting. Loved Korg and Grandmaster they both were great for comic relief but didn't let that define them and they still felt like complete characters. Hela is probably one of the best MCU villains so far she felt like a threat 

Reveal hidden contents

especially by killing the Warriors Three, which I was legit shocked that they took Volstagg and Fandral out so quickly, was glad Hogun got to have a heroic moment though. 

she looked very.....nice as well. The whole final battle was great and you really didn't know the fates of all the heroes which really added to the suspense. 

One question I had was

Hide contents

was there a reason Sif wasn't in the movie at all? I was waiting/dreading for confrontation between her and Hela which probably would have left Sif dead.

Spoiler

Just that they couldn't work out the schedule with Jaimie Alexander.  I think  there was a throwaway line about her being away on a mission or something.

Lady Liberators movie with Gamora, Black Widow, Mantis, Nebula, Captain Marvel and Valkyrie (and maybe Scarlet Witch because she's in the comics team) would be fucking awesome and apparently Feige is open to the idea.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Sublime said:

One question I had was

Reveal hidden contents

was there a reason Sif wasn't in the movie at all? I was waiting/dreading for confrontation between her and Hela which probably would have left Sif dead.

What Craig said above. 

Jaimie Alexander (Sif) had a scheduling conflict, but Marvel / Disney still has a good rapport with the actress and want her to reprise the role in the future.

Sif's fate was deliberately left ambiguous unlike The Warriors Three (killed by Hela) or Jane Foster (she dumped Thor.... er... they dumped each other....)

24 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Still odd no Balder.

I think this movie was the introduction of Loki as the anti-hero Balder.

Spoiler

At least until we see what he does with the Tesseract that we know he stole from the Asgardian treasury before Surtr blew everything up. 

I'm sorta hoping he doesn't double turn and hand it over to Thanos in exchange for rulership of Midgard as per his original bargain with the Chitauri.

Yeah, but Loki could be all, “hey Thanos, I have the tesseract in my possession this time and we’re face to face finally. Here ya go!”

And then Thanos does something to him that makes the Hulk’s Puny God slams look like child’s play.

33 minutes ago, Sublime said:

Yes I fully expect that Loki is going to try something with Thanos like give him the Tesseract  to get back on his good side only to have Thanos kill him dead. 

Eh, I'm sorta hoping that they keep running with semi-reformed Loki rather than making Loki go through yet another heel turn. 

Thor will go into battle with his usual hubris and Loki knows that arrogant Thor will 100% underestimate Thanos's physical power and the Thunder God will get his Asgardian ass beat.

However, Loki has a hubris of his own and he will try to save earth and the Asgardian refugees through charm and guile, but he will also underestimate Thanos's intellect and resolve and find out the hard way that being in possession of the Infinity Gauntlet means not having to negotiate with anyone..

On 11/4/2017 at 12:45 AM, odessasteps said:

I think it got a couple whoops in our theater.

did we need 

Reveal hidden contents

TWO immigrant song montages? One could have been No Quarter or give Battle of Evermore to the two LOTR alums.

Yes, yes we did. . . .

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 07/11/2017 at 9:20 AM, Sublime said:

Hela is probably one of the best MCU villains so far she felt like a threat 

Definitely. Hela in this movie gave me more optimism for Thanos, as she demonstrated somebody in the MCU knows how to book a monster heel.

On ‎07‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 2:38 PM, Craig H said:

I don't think it's a spoiler to say that Sif isn't in the movie. She's not in the movie because of a scheduling conflict.

Shame as I like Jaimie Alexander's Sif, she's underused in the MCU. hope we see her again in films and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

New look at how Avengers will appear in Avengers: Infinity War:

Rr0xORug_o.jpg

Spider-Man's costume has grown on me. Doctor Strange's is one of the best comics to film translations you'll find. I like Iron Man's new armour a lot going by this and how Captain America's suit is from Captain America: Civil War (2016) minus the star on the chest and the sleeves rolled up. Not keen on Balack Widow's but approve the blonde hair, Scarlett Johansson's pretty,

On 11/9/2017 at 12:20 AM, TheVileOne said:

Those were among my favorite parts, so yes :D 

Same here. Again, it's a lot like using "The Chain" twice in GotG2. Really good the first time, fucking great the second time you hear it. This was even better because it's "Immigrant Song" and way more badass stuff was happening at that point.

So if you guys could pick a really badass song to be played twice in Infinity War, what would it be and what's the disappointing song we'd end up with?

I still want a Beastie Boys song in one of these movies, specifically Paul Revere. I don't know how or where it fits in, but that's what I want. What we'll get is "War." Not saying "War is a bad song or anything, it's just overplayed in movies.

4 minutes ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

2) They did Doctor Strange better in ten minutes than he got in his own film.

I dunno if I fully agree with this, but the bit where he kept entering the frame from the opposite side of where he exited was a great, great visual bit.

Cate Blanchett looks amazing as Hela and tries to salvage the character by vamping it up to 100 every moment she's on screen, but ultimately there's no saving Hela from the fact that she spends virtually every scene explaining who the fuck she is because they decided to pull such a significant character out of their ass in the 3rd movie with no prior buildup.  Or the fact that all of her heel heat is built on massacring faceless extras and D-list characters no one cares about.  (They wouldn't even let her get over on Odin, and he was dying anyway!)

Anyway, it was an immensely entertaining movie, but you could tell Waititi was way more interested in the story on Sakaar, and all the business in Asgard was the stuff he was contractually obligated to do because it's a Thor movie.  It was just ticking off boxes.

Granted, most of the business in Asgard beyond Thor, Loki, and Odin has been pretty thin in all of these movies, which is why despite having 3 movies worth of buildup, Asgard doesn't feel like real, lived-in place (it honestly feels like a total of 3 sets, especially in this movie) with people you care about.  And because of that, Hela's threat to it, and it's ultimate destruction, comes off pretty flat.

I did like that this movie followed in the footsteps of DOCTOR STRANGE by coming up with a finish that was more clever than the hero bludgeoning the villain into submission or blasting them to bits.